Miesha Tate seeking rematch with Ronda Rousey

Former Strikeforce bantamweight champ Miesha Tate is still recovering from the Armbar she suffered against Ronda Rousey costing her the title.

However, as convincing as Rousey’s finish was, “Takedown” Tate believes she deserves a rematch when he gets back to full health. The 25-year old also feels like she was winning the bout with Rousey before becoming yet another victim of the talented judoka’s submission attack. When the two squared off earlier this month the opening minute saw Rousey nearly lock in an Armbar, but Tate fought out of it and took the former Olympian’s back shortly thereafter.

“I, personally, would love the opportunity to have a rematch,” said Tate in an interview MMAFighting. “I think for the most part I was probably winning (the fight). I think at a competitive level, one day one person could beat the one person, and the other day, the other person would beat the other person.”

Tate reminded fans she did not suffer a broken arm but ligament damage and possible surgery appear to be in her future. As such, she will likely ber out long enough to give Sarah Kaufman the next shot at Rousey before discussion of an actual second shot will be fielded by her bosses at Strikeforce.

As far as why Tate didn’t tap out right away, possibly saving an extended recovery period by doing so, the 12-3 Tate explained, “I felt my arm go in, and I was like, ‘You know, I don’t want to tap.’ And I didn’t.” Still, her toughness was quickly tested, as she elaborated, “So I felt my hand touch the back of her thigh and I knew everything was really bad. I just didn’t know at that point. I didn’t feel there was a way out of it. I had no idea how much longer there was on the clock and it just felt like things were getting worse and worse. And I was like, ‘I just don’t know how much of this my arm can take.’ I think that’s when common sense started to settle in, rather than pure stubbornness.”

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• fanoftna33 says:

Tate is a very tough and talented fighter, i would love to see the rematch but realistacly she needs 2 wins before it happens or a loss by Rousey.

• Lord Faust says:

She got beat handily, so back to the end of the line.

Luckily for her, that line is 1-2 women in length.

Thankfully this is NOT a case for an immediate rematch…already got a challenger and Tate has an extended recovery as stated…pretty soon MMA and rematch are going to be synonymous with each other.

• THEGUNNER says:

Thankfully they dont have wemon in the ufc or they would fight again immidiatly.

• climbarock says:

Whether or not her arm was technically “broken,” a la Mir/Sylvia, we all saw it get jacked the fuck up. Seems like Meisha is too proud to say she got her arm broken, or dislocated, or hyperextended or whatever the you want to call it…too proud to tap and now too proud to admit injury. Tisk tisk.

Luckily for Meisha, the division is thin enough that 1-2 wins will earn her another shot at Ronda, if that’s what she wants.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I don’t see where she got she was winning. She was defending herself but, she wasn’t the aggressor and was on defensive most of the match.

Heal the arm and fight next person in the way. Only take one or two wins before another shot anyway.

• AlphaOmega says:

If she does end up rematching against Rhonda, I don’t think it’ll be for the belt. I think Kaufman will take back the belt..but I’m biased.. Shes my top 2 WMMA fighter, her and Bubbles.

• Lord Faust says:

She certainly wasn’t winning that fight, she had a few moments of control where she worked for an RNC, but then her arm got shredded and it was over.

I’d love to see Kaufman win, mainly because I am a patriotic Canadian, but I think Rousey has the edge.

• danw84 says:

At what point was Miesha winning? When Rousy took her down with ease? When Rousey almost destroyed her arm in the first minute? When Rousey kept getting out of positions then tossing Miesha back to the ground? Or maybe it was when Meisha was mounted and getting pounded then gave up her back.

Ya I suppose this is a case for a rematch. In what crazy world do you get your ass kicked for 4 minutes, land a few strikes, then your arm bent 90 degrees the wrong way, you tap, and they call the other person a winner?