Quinton Jackson: “I think Joe Silva needs to be slapped in the face…”

Disgruntled UFC light heavyweight Quinton Jackson finally addressed his anger at his employers in more detail than 140 characters per post on Twitter allows for, calling Inside MMA’s Bas Rutten to conduct a twenty minute interview where discussion ranged from his use of testosterone to his fight against Ryan Bader in Japan to, of course, his desire to depart the UFC as soon as possible.

According to Jackson, who said he is actively trying to get out of the remaining fight he’s contracted for, the issue he has with the UFC is partially based on money but more about respect. Tired of facing wrestlers, longing to instead take on opponents more inclined to put on entertaining fights, Jackson is apparently more than willing to take a hefty cut in pay so long as he feels appreciated.

“I think (matchmaker) Joe Silva needs to be slapped in the face, I’m sorry, but if you’ve got a fighter like me who likes to go out and put on exciting fights why are you gonna keep giving me wrestlers who are gonna take me down and hump me,” “Rampage” asked rhetorically. “I’m sorry. I’m just really tired of the UFC and their tactics.”

“After my fight with Jon Jones they told my manager that I was losing my appeal – that rappers don’t come and watch me fight no more, that the fans really don’t like me no more. Cause it was getting close to time for me to renegotiate and PRIDE did the same thing to me,” Jackson continued. “To me my respect is more than money so I’ll go fight for some other show for free and I’ll prove it to fans that I’m not all about money.”

While there’s no question any MMA promotion would love to have Jackson sign for such a minimal amount, the former champion said he has one requirement when it comes to inking a deal.

“I’m gonna go to an organization that gives me a little clout…anywhere, as long as I’ve got a little clout and I can control it a little bit and the guys appreciate me for putting on a good show. Just say thank you at the end of the show. I don’t care if I make $500 again,” the 33-year old stated. However, within minutes of his apparent attitude of altruism Jackson also mentioned he felt as though he should be making 4X his current salary as a headliner/co-headliner in the UFC.

Listen to the full interview below where either rage will be fueled or sympathy created (probably the former):

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Oh Quittin Jackson,
    I’m gonna miss you, and your zany outlook on life in the UFC.

In life it takes 10x more effort to conduct yourself like an asshole then it does to just handle the situation & move forward… Rampage could have just requested his final bout in contract to be Sooner then later & he could just packed his bags and set up shop elsewhere after his no compete clause ran out… Why go on this rant and draw even more negative attention towards himself when the guy has not produced in the octagon lately and if you truly want to shop around for a new promotion why would you want to be seen as somebody whose gonna be overly vocal everytime things behind the scenes may not work out… Rampage gotta realize his place in the current mma landscape.

• Lord Faust says:

How much more “clout” could he have?

He whined his way on to a card he wasn’t slated for, bungled numerous aspects of the bout itself, and now he’s all “wah wah, I don’t get enough respect.”

Dude got a gift decision win over Machida, got his ass handed to him by the champ and then showed up with a bad leg, overweight, and got outworked by a guy who lost to Tito Ortiz.

Taking my own opinion out of the equation, I am honestly asking where Rampage got the short end of the stick in any of these scenarios?

After two seasons of TUF, it was pretty obvious Rampage lives in an echo chamber; no one’s been tempering his greedy personality with a dose of reality and humility. If you want further proof, look at the childish outbursts at Rich Franklin and Joe Rogan, their only ‘crime’ was having the audacity to question Rampage.

• JBAR says:

you would think that if he really hated being taken down so much he would learn to defend the takedown.

• fitfreak says:

Completely agree Lord Faust. He was also pissed off at Randy Couture for picking against him in a fight. I’m beginning to see a pattern here. When things don’t go his way, he cries, whines, and throws his little tantrums. Rampage, you don’t get respect by asking (crying) for it; you get respect by earning it.

Does he really believe that he doesn’t have to fight any more good wrestlers in the UFC?? How can he complain that Bader didn’t entertain, when Rampage’s total offense in a 25 minute fight lasted about 15 seconds?

Someone close to him needs to tell him to shut up before he makes this any worse. The UFC will drag out his last fight and contract for as long as possible now. By the time he’s a free agent, no one will even care.

• MCM says:

He actually has really good takedown defense JBAR. He’s just never really been as great as people/organizations tried to make him out to be. I’ve been saying it for years that his biggest win was Chuck, but considering that he beat Chuck at the beginning and the end of his career, I now think his biggest win was Hendo. Take those two out and you’ve got a guy with a lot of wins over middle of the road fighters and loses every time he stepped up in competition.
    The guy has been given way more than he’s ever earned and all he does is complain. He’s a Matyushenko level fighter that thinks he’s Jon Jones. People think Sonnen talked his way into popularity, but at least he had to beat real top 5ers along the way. I’m just glad to see others have finally figured out what cry baby this guy really is.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I think I lose a bit more respect for him every time he opens his mouth.

Just get in shape, fight whomever UFC puts in front of you and go away.

Problem solved.

• AlphaOmega says:

So..Rampage basically want’s someone who will stand in front of him, not move, and let him punch their head over and over?

• adamsfamily says:

rampage v tito on a FOX card for the general public both are well known. no ppv cut (unless its in their contract)
    two birds with one stone. and fans in the know wont really be bothered who wins. just a clean up of the over paid guys, get some new blood in.

• Lord Faust says:

Tito’s seemingly gone out of his way to prove he’s a company man again. I don’t think the UFC has any issue with him, so I would imagine he will get a decent farewell fight.

The way Rampage is acting, I doubt he’ll be on any fight cards. If Rampage is serious about this angle he’s working, then he’ll be stuck waiting for his contract to expire and sued if he even hints at breaking it. They sued Captain America, they’re serious about that kind of thing.

• Lord Faust says:

Word has it that Rampage’s last fight will be against Shogun. Date TBA.

Oooooh boy. I never thought I’d cheer this hard for Shogun.

• MCM says:

I really wish they would have given him Phil Davis. I too have never like Shogun but he’s my guy in this one.

• AlphaOmega says:

I know he won’t but if it is shogun I kinda want him to take Rampage down instantly, just to piss him off. I don’t really root for Shogun since he beat Machida, but I will this time if its true.

• jasonah says:

Heres the deal,He has one fight left on his contract. He would get a big pay cut ! He’s no where near title contention. He knows he will never fight for the Belt in the U.F.C Again. This should be called “The Rise and Fall of Quinton Jackson” He beat Marvin Eastman, And then He got a shot at Chuck, So Chuck could avenge his loss, He Won The belt. And Instantly Gained Rock star Status, and has been on a down hill slide since He K.O.ed Wandy. Rampage does not want to Be a Champion, He Want’s fight’s that make Him look good. I guess if he want’s to king of a B level organization, And beat up cans for a living . I Guess good luck. Ken Shamrock is looking for a Fight @ 205. Ha Ha Ha!!