Rashad Evans says Jon Jones is not unbeatable, plans to reclaim UFC light heavyweight title

The personal issues between Rashad Evans and UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones are well known by most. For the few who aren’t aware, the two were once teammates at Greg Jackson‘s gym in New Mexico. After Jones won the title, replacing an injured Evans to score the bout, “Bones” said he was fine with facing “Suga” ‘Shad if so required by the UFC. The 24-year old’s ease with fighting a supposed friend angered Evans, prompting him to leave Jackson’s MMA and found “The Blackzilians” group in Florida.

Now, with both men on the cusp of finally facing off with one another inside the Octagon instead of through media appearances, Evans is taking the approach he of all people understands what it will take to defeat the dynamic title-holder.

“I know I will beat Jon Jones,” said Evans in a recent interview with UFC. “He can talk about improvements he’s made, but there are still some things in his game he can never change. He’s a long, rangy fighter and I’m going to get inside, unleash my stuff, take him down and ground and pound him. I’m at a level in my career where I can take down and ground and pound anyone.”

“I’ve got the advantage mentally, too,” Evans continued on the topic of taking out Jones. “He’s not, ‘Jon Jones unbeatable champion,’ to me. I know the real Jon, the nervous kid who would ask me to tell him how to dress, how to talk and how to fight.”

With their fight scheduled for next month at UFC 145: Jones vs. Evans in Atlanta, expect plenty more talk from both men before Evans can prove his experience is the key or Jones once again wows by taking out a former champion.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MCM says:

No one believes you Rashad. And I hope they never do. Cause that means I make more money every time you fight. :)

Jon Jones is a great fighter, and he is setting the bar for what future champs are going to look like. But he’s too cocky and doesn’t know how to fall yet. Rashad is gonna beat him, probably in the first by GNP, and the world will be stunned.

How do I know this? The LHW Curse.
    Before Jon Jones, 3 men thought the history of the sport defended the UFC LHW belt more than once. Tito, Chuck, and Rampage. Rashad is the only man alive to hold wins over all three, and the only one to finish both Chuck and Tito, the longest reining LHW champs of all time. Come 145, HE’s gonna be the one with another former champ on his belt.

Mark it ya’ll.

• AlphaOmega says:

While I don’t think Rashad will do it. I think at this point he’s the best chance to do it, just for the fact that he was there when Jones started training, and they were close training partners and friends, so he does know more about Jones as a fighter then probably any one Jones has faced yet.

The main reason I don’t think Rashad will do it, is that he gets scared and goes into defense mode any time he gets clipped

• darth_irritable says:

Actually Alpha, while I think Rashad has a better shot than most, I’m going to go with the Right Hand Of Dan Henderson.

• Richard Stabone says:

Jones’ cockiness is part of the reason he will win. A lot of guys chase that cockiness/confidence, in an attempt to puff themselves up psychologically, but for the greats it just comes with the natural territory. IMO, Jones already fits the latter.

The greats don’t need to apologize for being cocky… it’s part of what fuels their greatness. LeBron James is a guy who would do well to eventually figure this out. On the court, anyway.

• MCM says:

“A lot of guys chase that cockiness/confidence, in an attempt to puff themselves up psychologically….”

This is exactly how I see Jones. Every thing I’ve heard come out of his mouth makes me think he’s weak minded and insecure. He believes his own hype cause he doesn’t believe in himself.
    After a couple of losses to gain the maturity he needs, he’ll arguably the greatest MMA fighter of all time. But Rashad is gonna humble him first.

• Richard Stabone says:

@MCM: Perhaps, but I just don’t see it that way. There have been multiple opportunities for him to fold already, such as his blistering run thru the division in 2011, and he came thru virtually unscathed. He’s already passed the test for me, and I don’t see Rashad being the guy to change that, but only one way to find out.

• AlphaOmega says:

I don’t see Hendo taking that belt from Jones, Hendo seems to have forgotten that he has ground game for that right hand.

And maybe I’m blind or just don’t see it, but I’ve never thought Jones as incredibly cocky, at least not moreso then Rashad.

• THEGUNNER says:

Jones is a great fighter rashad is a good fighter.rashad had to be on a tuf jones didnt.the guy to beat jones will be himself. If he buckles in the lime light. I think being really popular takes fron your hunger and ethic status.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

So Jones is going to lose because he is cocky?

Makes sense since Rashad is such a humble guy who isn’t in the least bit cocky and never talks trash or walks around with his chest puffed out. Evans talks so much crap he believes it. Too bad he can’t back it up. Using his victory over Tito or Rampage doesn’t hold much weight. Tito is done and has been for several years and Rampage hasn’t had his head in the game since Forest beat him.

Jones is going to put a beating on Rashad.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Jon Jones is weak minded? He doesnt know how to fall? And you believe in the LHW curse?
    No I disagree. Jon Jones is very strong mentaly. I have no Idea what you mean by him not knowing how to fall but Im sure thats wrong too. If you mean he doesnt know how to fall literally, thats absurd and if you mean from grace or mentaly, he is not new to competitive sport. As for “the curse”, I sort of try to stick to reality and not supernatural superstition.
    Rashad can win this but it wont be becuz Jones is too cocky or the imaginary curse. It will be becuz he catches Jones with his power and speed.
    Jon Jones via stoppage rd 3.

• Niv says:

Well Rashad is a good fighter but I don’t see where he wins this fight.

I personally thought based on styles Machida stood the best chance to beat him and we all saw how that went.

I still would like to see Shogun when healthy but he’s obviously not the same guy he was a few years back either. Maybe if he starts TRT therapy he can improve every year instead of decline like most fighters, oh but I digress. On that note I do think Hendo has the best chance based soley on the punchers power but still unlikely.

No fighter is unbeatable, but Jon Jones doesn’t look like he’s going to drop one yet.

• Angry Mike says:

The only weapon Rashad has against Jones is his mouth. If he can get Jones to doubt himself and fight too defensively, Rashad has a chance. I doubt it’ll work, though. Jones has had some big fights in his short career, so he knows what it’s like to have that kind of pressure. The most telling event for me was Jones’ win over Machida. I think Jones was a little confused by Machida’s style in the first round, but he pulled it together and finished him in the second. Machida put Rashad on his ass with his lights out, and Jones has longer range and just as much power.

• MCM says:

I wouldn’t say Jones has as much power as Machida. Machida has true one punch KO power. Not saying Jones isn’t dangerous, I just don’t think he’s gonna put Rashad on the stanky leg like Machida did.

• AlphaOmega says:

This fight will have a lot more mental aspect then Jones’ other fights, just for the fact of them at one time being so close