Jon Jones: “I’m trying to solidify a legacy and beating Rashad Evans right now is the biggest piece to the puzzle.”

The animosity between former teammates Rashad Evans and Jon Jones is well-documented. The heat stemming from what seemed to be a misunderstanding has since snowballed into one of the premier rivalries in MMA today and well come to a head on April 21 when the light heavyweights face off in headlining action at UFC 145 with Jones’ divisional championship on the line.

With the event essentially a month away the hype has been amped up with a recent preview for the match-up where the world is offered a reminder of how little the wound has healed on the broken friendship the two shared in the not too distant past.

“A lot of my mentors have been talking to me, saying, ‘You know what, Jon, don’t let him get in your head.’ But the truth of the matter is he is in my head and I want him in my head, I like him in my head – that’s when I train better, that’s when I focus more, that’s when I study his fights more,” said Jones of Evans’ personal jabs at his attitude, labeling him as being an exceptionally cocky individual whose number he has.

“Let’s not beat around the bush here. I’m the champ, he’s the challenger. He wants what I have. I’m not giving it to him,” explained a frank Jones, adding, “I’m trying to solidify a legacy and beating Rashad Evans right now is the biggest piece to the puzzle.”

Watch the full preview below where bouts between Rory MacDonald-Che Mills and Brendan Schaub-Ben Rothwell are highlighted:

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Uh oh…I never like it when fighters start using words like ‘legacy’.
    Take a lesson from Fedor there, champ.
    Still ,Jones will finish Rashad inside of three.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Imo Jones is the better wrestler, better striker, better sub artist, bigger, mentaly more sound and more athletic fighter. Rashad Evans has often relied on a game plan to nulify his opponents whereas Jon has been far better than all of his opponents in every way with the exception of Machida who Jones left lifeless on the matt. If I recall correctly Rashad was the one left lifeless when he and Machida fought. I do think Rashad can win but I think he has very little chance of winning. He needs to catch Jones with a big punch, perhaps whilst faking the shot. This will be difficult. Jones has many more ways to win. Every fighter has their bogey fighter that although they may be better than them, they struggle against them. Is Rashad that guy? I doubt it but one thing I am sure of and that is that Jones is the better fighter.
    Jones should finish Rashad within 3. Im looking forward to expression on Rashads face change when it dawns on him that he cant win.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Unless the magical LHW curse is real…like vampires and unicorns are

• MCM says:

I road my unicorn to work last night to the Vampire rehab clinic.
    And since I invented the LHW curse….it’s totally f*cking real!

But a couple of facts outside the “cures”.
    -Jones is not the better MMA wrestler. Rashad has fought better wrestlers and always come out on top. -Rashad wins fights no one wants him to or thinks he can. He was supposed to lose to Chuck, Forrest, Rampage, T.Silva, and Phil Davis.
    -Jones has wins over 3 former champs, Rashad has wins over 4. No one likes to mention that.

Even I’m not blind enough to think this is a cake walk for either fighter, Jones is by far the toughest test Rashad or anyone has had. But Rashad is the better MMA wrestler, quicker and more powerful striker, better mentally prepared and more motivated fighter.
    None of that means he’ll win the fight, just that he’s not the underdog most think he is.

• Lord Faust says:

What kinds of vampires? They scary, dark, brooding sort – definitely not.

But if you mean sparkly late-20s metrosexuals who like to creep on underage girls then, yeah, pretty those exist.

• fitfreak says:

So…unicorns aren’t real?

• Dr.Stoppage says:

MCM- good analysis,yet no prediction.