Lightweights Gray Maynard-Clay Guida headlining UFC on FX 4

A pair of lightweights coming off difficult losses will main event UFC on FX 4 in the form of a five-round affair between Gray Maynard and Clay Guida. The bout, confirmed by UFC officials, is crucial for both men as one will be back in the title-hunt while the other has a steep hill to climb in terms of divisional relevance given the depth at 155 pounds.

The show is set for June 22 from Atlantic City, New Jersey and will mark the organization’s return to the fight-friendly town in more than five years.

Maynard was last in action against then-UFC lightweight champ Frankie Edgar with “The Answer” ending their trilogy with a knockout victory after weathering an early storm. The loss was the first of Maynard’s career who holds an earlier win over Edgar as well as success against Kenny Florian, Jim Miller, and Nate Diaz.

Comparably, “The Carpenter” had a four-fight winning streak snapped against current 155-pound king Benson Henderson last November. The loss dropped the popular Guida’s overall record to 29-12 with nine victories inside the Octagon.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I have no interest in this fight at all.

Strange match making but I guess the winner stays in the mix….

• AlphaOmega says:

Hoping Guida wins, I like that guy a lot

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I like this fight. Maynard should be the favorite but, Guida is non stop in the cage. If this is. A 5 round fight I think it could be a very exciting fight.

• climbarock says:

Bwahahahahaha, Logic, I was going to say almost the same thing.

• MCM says:

I like this fight. I’m sure Gray is gonna be the favorite, but Guida can take a hell of a shot and keep coming, and has the scrabbling ability to nullify Maynards wrestling. I don’t think Guida has the power to put Maynard out, but I think his sub game is better and Gray needs to watch out for it if it hits the ground.
    Too early to make an official pic, but my gut says Gray has gotten the nod it too many close Split Dec. victories and Guida is gonna surprise a lot of people with the W.

• Richard Stabone says:

It’s not like this is a bad fight/matchup at all. But I can’t say I’m excited for it either. For me it comes down to the fact there’s no fluidity in the LW division right now. Until the immediate rematch crap is finally played out, the LW guys who win these other top contender fights are just running in place and it takes away a lot of the intrigue for me.

• Creature says:

Im actually very interested in this fight, im a fan of both fighter but much more so of Maynard. I think Maynard is still easily a top 5 LW and this should be a pretty action packed fight if you ask me..

But i thought Guida said he was moving to 145 if he lost to Bendo??