Jon Jones: “I wouldn’t bust my tail so hard in the gym if I was unbeatable.”

UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones may be touted by many as peerless pugilist after achieving in a few years what MMA’s greatest hope to accomplish in a career, winning the title and successfully defending it in dominating fashion against top ranked competition. However, “Bones” hasn’t bought into the opinions of others, instead being driven by a sense of professional paranoia as the man everyone is gunning for.

“I realize I have a target on my back like all champions do, and I have to train like I am the challenger in order to stay champion,” wrote Jones in a blog entry for FoxSports.

“You’ve seen it in other sports, when a young guy comes on the scene and does well, people get excited and start writing and saying ‘This guy can’t be beat.’ There’s a lot of hype about me right now; some media experts are saying I am unbeatable, but I know it’s not true. I wouldn’t bust my tail so hard in the gym if I was unbeatable,” he continued. “I honestly feel I am working harder than any other fighter in the light-heavyweight division. I am listening to my coaches, watching tapes of my opponent, and working very hard.”

Another source of motivation for Jones is undoubtedly the caliber of challenger he’ll face next month at UFC 145 when he faces rival and former champion Rashad Evans. Evans has expressed supreme confidence in his ability to beat the 24-year old on numerous occasions during the build towards their bout, citing his familiarity with Jones’ weaknesses based on their time training together as well as overall inexperience.

Similarly to the idea of being “unbeatable”, Jones also isn’t buying Evans’ bravado about having his number.

“On April 21 he’ll realize he doesn’t even have my area code,” Jones responded to the notion.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

Hate to love him… love to hate him.

• hindsightufuk says:

i love the photo of Jones walking away from Lyoto’s unconcious body, i think thats as iconic a picture as we have in mma so far.
    stlll doesnt compare to Ali screaming at Liston, but its good.
    i’m not saying this because i’m a fan either. like watching him fight but dont care about him either way as a (black) man.
    Rashad i’m not overly fussed about watching him fight, but i like him as a human bean

• MCM says:

Thumbs up to both of you.

I can’t stand his arrogance, but I won’t look away when he fights either.

• Screenplaya says:

I really don’t see where Jones is all that arrogant. The piece is all about how he knows he isn’t unbeatable, despite so many people saying he is. He boasts in responce to Rashad’s attacks, but that is what all fighters do.

I love Rashad, though, and I hope he wins, but I am not a Jones hater. I just don’t see the arrogance that so many others seem to.

• MCM says:

It’s not always what he says, but the way he says it. Instead of saying “No one works harder in the gym than me.” which comes across as boastful, champion talk that would be appropriate, he said “I honestly feel I am working harder than any other fighter in the light-heavyweight division….”, which comes across (to me) as someone that truly believes that no one takes their job as seriously or puts in as much work as he does. To suggest that at the level he’s at and to the fighters he faces is just plain ridiculous. Couple that with his sincere statements that he believes his own hype, thinks the world has never seen anything like him and believes that he is actually helping opponents by “beating the weakness out of them”, and he comes across as the most arrogant douche I’ve ever heard. Sonnen, the Diaz’s, Tito, all talk big but turn that stuff off when not on camera. I willing to bet Jones has pictures of himself on his bedroom wall.

• AlphaOmega says:

I’ll say it again here, I don’t think Jones is any more arrogant/cocky then Rashad, I’m pretty sure he learned it from Rashad.

• fitfreak says:

I saw an interview with both Jones and Evans together, and Jones came across as the more mature, classier person. Evans needs to get over it, and try taking the high road for a change.

• THEGUNNER says:

Rashad beat forrest griffin for the belt and lost it in his first defense. I think jones finishes evens easily this fight sparring , training, and full blown fight is different.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

MCM I don’t see you bashing GSP or every other fighter who says no one works harder in the gym.

Seems to me that is just standard pre fight talk from most if not all MMA fighters. You seem to have a hate on for Jones, which is your right, but you worship at the altar of Rashad who is far more cocky and tries to make every insult personal and hurtful.

Show me the last guy who said ” I know my opponent works harder and trains more and I fully expect to lose but, hey it’s a paycheck”

Just can’t understand the hate for Jones is all. What are people who are champions to say if they don’t feel they are the best? No one says I suck and have no work ethic or talent and this is all pure luck.

Respectfully, he stated it wasn’t what JJ said but how he said it.