Tito Ortiz’s final fight set for UFC 148 against Forrest Griffin

Though it may not have been a match-up fans were clamoring to see, it was the fight UFC legend Tito Ortiz wanted for his swan song in Mixed Martial Arts and has deservedly received. According to the 37-year old former champion via Twitter, he will face Forrest Griffin at UFC 148 to complete a trilogy of bouts thus far featuring a split pair of Split Decisions.

The event comes slightly more than fifteen years after “The People’s Champion” made his debut at UFC 13. 27 appearances later and Ortiz has compiled a 16-10-1 record including a handful of memorable wins and roles in some of the biggest fights in MMA history such as those against Ken Shamrock and Chuck Liddell. In addition to Griffin, Ortiz has also found success inside the Octagon against Shamrock, Ryan Bader, Guy Mezger, Evan Tanner, Wanderlei Silva, and Vitor Belfort.

However, Ortiz suffered TKO losses in his previous two appearances and has fallen in five of his last six fights, prompting his pending retirement.

The 18-7 Griffin has also experienced a number of extreme highs in the UFC including his stint on the Ultimate Fighter 1 and wins over Mauricio Rua as well as in a title-fight against Quinton Jackson. He is coming off a loss in the rematch against Rua, stopping what would have been his third consecutive victory after finding back-to-back success in outings against Ortiz and Rich Franklin.

UFC 148 is scheduled for July 7 and will feature Dominick Cruz against Urijah Faber for the bantamweight belt in headlining action. Other fights being featured on the PPV portion of the card include Tim Boetsch-Michael Bisping and Franklin-Cung Le.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• hindsightufuk says:

seemed like i’m the only one happy to see this fight, i seen so many people moaning about it.
    i enjoyed the first two fights, first one especially, no reason this shouldnt entertaining

• Dufresne says:

Yes! This fight makes so much more sense than Griffin/Bonnar III. This is about the only fight for Tito I want to see, and having it as his finale makes me even happier.

Yep this makes sense for both of them… why not.

• hindsightufuk says:

actually i’d like to see Griffin Bonnar 3 as well. Reckon Stephan would finally have a chance to beat him. At this stage fighters like Stepan, Forrest, Tito etc can pretty much pick their own fights as far as i care

• fitfreak says:

Ortiz could have won the last fight, but he had zero offense in the third round. I assume that was due to his injuries / conditioning. Hopefully he can go three hard rounds this time.

• MCM says:

I think that’s why Ortiz wants this fight. I remember reading somewhere that the reason these two want to fight so much is cause they each think the other is an easy win.
    I’m fine with this fight. I agree that the first two were entertaining and I don’t see a reason why this one wouldn’t be too.
    It also might give Forrest the confidence boost he needs to get back to winning again.

• darth_irritable says:

I don’t think Forrest particularly wants this. He seemed pretty apathetic, but willing to accomodate the UFC. He does think it’s an easy fight, but I don’t get the sense he thinks a win here does anything for him.

• MCM says:

I don’t think Forrest wants to fight period. I’m just hoping that a win rekindles the fire he used to have. It may not.

• Lord Faust says:

The fire is probably still there, just a little starved under all that head trauma.

I don’t know about the fire still being there…. That fight in Brazil felt like he was showing up for a pay check before going on maternity leave. I know from personal experiance when your wife is that close to having your child your world is upside down and there’s nothing on your mind but making sure she and the baby are ok BUT to me he looked like he wasn’t even there…

• Lord Faust says:

I will agree with you there. He also looked like he was a vegetable in his fight with Anderson. He looked like he was sleep-walking.

• fitfreak says:

Griffin showed up for the fight with Franklin. You just never know what you’re going to get with him.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Each man needs a definitive victory. If Tito wins this really may be the last we see of Forrest for a real long time if not permanently.

Hard to say where is head is at because he jokes around a lot in his interviews but, I get the feeling his head and heart are not totally in MMA.

Think if he could get a stoppage on Tito or a really dominant UD victory it might reignite his passion.

I think if Tito could get stoppage/dominant decision victory it would help cement his legacy by going out on a win. History always remembers those who leave victorious with more fondness.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Tito Ortiz has won 1 fight in his last 8 or 1 fight in 6 years.
    I can recall some of those wanting this fight saying that Fedor shouldnt be allowed in the UFC.
    Fedor is 9-3 in that time.