Michael Bisping unimpressed by anything Mark Munoz brings to the Octagon

As far as Michael Bisping is concerned, fellow UFC middleweight Mark Munoz never belonged in a bout to determine the next contender to Anderson Silva‘s divisional title to begin with. Bisping, who went the distance with Chael Sonnen as a replacement for Munoz earlier this year, will face Tim Boetsch at UFC 148 on July 7. Many felt Bisping and Munoz would be paired up next, including “The Filipino Wrecking Machine”, but instead it was Boetsch who earned the fight thanks in large part to his knockout of Yushin Okami last month.

Apparently, “The Count” has never seen Munoz as much of a threat, a point he relayed while appearing as a guest on a recent edition of ESPN’s UFC Podcast.

“I have never really looked at Mark Munoz and thought he looked like a particularly dangerous opponent,” Bisping said. “His ground and pound looks good, his wrestling doesn’t look all that dangerous, his stand up is suspect, and he’s got a weak chin. I think Tim Boetsch is probably a harder fight.”

Bisping,w ho has won four of his last five fights and feels like he is on the cusp of being a title-contender once again, also revealed he turned down a bout with Cung Le at the event. Le will instead meet Rich Franklin instead on the same card.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Kamakosmo says:

Very easy for Bisping to say these things about Munoz, considering he’s not slated to fight him.

• hindsightufuk says:

i will never like Bisping on a personal level but he should be fighting Mark Munoz for a number one contender, not tim boetsch. Not saying Tim cant win, he could, but fighting Munoz makes more sense. maybe he can talk himself into it

• MCM says:

I actually agree with Bisping, I think he’d finish Munoz in the first round easy. I never understood why Mark was considered for a #1 contenders match either.
    Boetsch IS the more dangerous fighter cause he has the 1 punch KO power that has been Bispings only real weakness.
    I don’t like Bisping, but there is no denying he puts on exciting fights. Part of me hopes he wins so that we can see him and Franklin go at next for a shot at the title.

Who the fucks idea was it to potentially pair up Cung Le and Bisping? Talk about a waste of time.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Pertaining to divisional rankings, agreed 100%. Pertaining to pure entertainment, I’d actually enjoy seeing Bisping-Le throw down. Aggressive, technical striker vs. aggressive, technical striker seems like fun to me.

• fanoftna33 says:

I like watching Le fight no matter who he is facing, Bisping included, but I agree that ranking wise it makes zero sense right now unless Le wins 2 fights and Bisping loses another. I think a Bisping Munoz fight would be very entertaining but Bisping takes it for sure.

• moosebaby02 says:

wow Munoz gets no love. personaly i think he will eat up shitsbing but thats me hateing shitsbing

• JabCrossHook says:

Rankings wise Bisping is facing the guy who KOed Okami the last contender to fight for the MW title. Mark munoz lost to Okami and not to mention Munoz holds no victories over a top 5 MW. Tim deserves it more IMO

• Screenplaya says:

I love Boetsch, but I think Munoz should’ve gotten this fight. I wouldnt have minded watching Tim take down a couple more MWs before going after Bisping.

Munoz has earned a #1 Contendership fight, so I don’t agree with The Count on that score, but I do agree that Bisping probably has little to fear from Mark. Munoz doesnt appear to utilize his wrestling well in MMA, and as a striker, he doesn’t come close to what Bisping offers.