Rich Franklin wants to finish his career in style with a run at UFC gold

For Rich Franklin, figuring out exactly where he fit in the UFC was a difficult prospect. Now, “Ace” is primed and positioned to compete at middleweight with a bout set for later this year against Cung Le. In Le, Franklin will be looking to shake off several months of rust, having not competed since early in 2011 against Forrest Griffin due to a serious shoulder injury.

Franklin (28-6) is a former middleweight champion who lost the title to current champ Anderson Silva back in 2006. After getting another crack at “The Spider,” Franklin was unable to solve him, falling for a second time by way of brutal strike-baed stoppage.

“That would be my Cinderella story. It would be great. I had one chance at that and fighting in my hometown and all that kind of stuff to regain my title, swing and miss, strike one,” said Franklin of making a final run at the belt in an interview with MMAWeekly Radio. “We’re starting with a good exciting fight, and we’ll move forward from there. But that would be my Cinderella story.”

Silva earned a first round KO and a second round TKO over Franklin, the latter coming in Franklin’s hometown of Cincinnati. Since those meetings, the explosive Brazilian has dominated the 185-pound division while Franklin has spent time competing at a heavier weight. With his return to middleweight he feels like he’s back where he should be.

“After the injury, I was talking to (manager) Monte Cox and I said, ‘What would the UFC think about me moving back down to 185,” Franklin explained of his drop back down. “I think at this point in time, in their minds, if I was able to put a title run together, even if they did do another rematch with Anderson and I, there’s been enough time at this point that there would be interest in the fight.”

Franklin will face Le on July 7 at UFC 148.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• stone says:

No Rich….we are NOT interested

• moosebaby02 says:

i would be if he was getting ko/tko’s on his way there. why not

• Lord Faust says:

I think we all need to see something pretty impressive in Rich’s next fight(s) before any notion of a rematch with Silva is seriously considered. Two fights, and neither was remotely competitive.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Hahaha…Bwahahaha. Seriously?
    No chance at all.

• king mah mah says:

Yeah, he’s a dreamer! LOL

• king mah mah says:

But then again, if Brock got a run at gold, why can’t Rich get another one?

• MMA-LOGIC says:

He could get one. Couture got GIVEN plenty but he wont EARN one imo. For me he would have to beat Le, then perhaps Stann, Palhares or somebody in that area followed by a guy like Bisping, Belfort, Sonnen or whoever is up there in a year or so. Then get a shot.

• AlphaOmega says:

I think he could do it maybe, I just don’t see why he moved down to 185, I thought he moved back up because the weight cut was getting harder and harder since he’s older.

• JabCrossHook says:

He should fight at Franklinweight which is 195. He can start a new division!

• Paulo says:

I wouldn’t count Rich out. I don’t think he would put up much of a challenge for Anderson, but I do think he can easily make a title run at 185 as long as he avoids Belfort along the way. I think Rich would be a solid #3 or 4 at Middle weight and there’s been plenty of title fights with guys outside the top 5. He’s done such a good job for the fans and the UFC all these years by jumping around weight classes to put on good fights. I for one, would pay for a ppv seeing him in a farewell fight. And who knows… If Chael is the champ when the time comes, I can see Franklin retiring with the belt.