Dan Henderson feels he should have received title-shot, not Rashad Evans

Dan Henderson remains idle and on the sidelines, waiting for the UFC light heavyweight and middleweight titles to be defended later this year. However, if Henderson had his way it would be his name and not Rashad Evans‘ set to meet 205-pound champion Jon Jones in April at UFC 145.

“Hendo” secured a #1 contender position by defeating Mauricio “Shogun” Rua last year and, despite previous speculation to the contrary, has now confirmed he’ll be holding out for a crack at a divisional belt .

“I guess Dana (White) promised Rashad he was next for the title shot. But timing-wise, it would have been better for me to fight Jones, and then have Rashad fight the winner,” said Henderson, in an interview with ESPN. “That would have been better than having Rashad come right back after fighting Phil Davis, and it’s probably going to be pushed again if Rashad wins because he’s going to have to fight me pretty quickly, as well.”

Henderson also added he knows nothing is set, but mentioned he felt it was the only logical scenario, stating, “The only fight that makes sense is a title shot, I was hoping to jump the line in front of Rashad, but I’ve got to wait until Rashad fights Jon Jones and then I’ll fight the winner.”

Reports have claimed Henderson to have turned down bouts with Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and a rematch with Rua over the past few months. Now, with his recent statements, it’s clear exactly why.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• fanoftna33 says:

No way Henderson deserves it more, he should need 1 more win to even get the shot I feel. Rashad has earned and earned it again, afterwards let Henderson take on whoever wins.

• MCM says:

agree and disagree fotna33. I think Rashad is the rightful #1 contender and earned it more than Hendo too, but Hendo’s run is Sobral, Feijao, Fedor, and Shogun. I can’t think of any other LHW that has a comparable run at the moment. I think Dan has earned his right to wait for the shot.

• fanoftna33 says:

I see what you are saying but I look at as Sobral hasnt been on a tear for a long time now, Feijao is still up and down with his losses and really hasnt beat anybody near the top ten Fedor was on a two fight skid, and I feel Shougun should have had the draw. But you are correct in that on names alone I cannot think of anybody else who deserves the next shot over Henderson.

• THEGUNNER says:

I would of loved to see evans vs hendo and winner gets jones. Im thinking evans and hendo lose to jones this year.

• hindsightufuk says:

Dan Henderson spent the last 15 years earning his shot, at this stage of his career i’d like to see him get one. Rashad is the rightful number two though, rankings wise Rashad should be next, but i’d have no problem is Dan skipped ahead

• Screenplaya says:

Rashed has been waiting a long time for this, so I am very glad Hendo didn’t get to cut the line. He will get the winner sometime this summer, but I wonder if Hendo would be wise to take a fight in the interim. Let him avenge his loss to big Nog (forget the lil Nog stuff). Dan could whupp Big Nog now, and he wouldnt have to bother with any weight-cutting.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I actually think Shogun, Fedor, Babalu and Cavalcante is a better run but we have been waiting for Rashad to get his shot for years so I just want it over and done with. I also think Hendo is far more dangerous for Jones than Rashad.

• As far as things go its a huge toss up in comparison of name value whether Dan’s recent wins(Feijao Fedor Sobral Shogun) are greater than Rashad (Silva, Rampage, Tito, Davis). At the time the fight happened Thiago had one loss and wasnt thought of as a PED user, Rampage was one of the consensus number 2-3 LHW in the world, we wont talk about Tito as that’s not even worth mentioning and Davis was a hot streaking prospect.
    Sobral is an aging hasbeen at best, Feijao is a tough up and comer who has some inconsistencies, Fedor is someone who was on a tough run at the time and Shogun is a beast.
    To me the difference is finishes. Shad has one and Dan has three but Shad has been fighting tougher competition(minus Shogun and debatebly Fedor). I wont lie, I have a bias against Rashad, I dont like the guy as I find him to be a completely safe fighter and not one who has any urgency to finish a fight.
    Phil Davis had NO business in the ring with Sugar and it was obvious by mid third round. Davis showed he’s no quitter but he was outclassed and Sugar should’ve been able to get a tko but he never felt the need to turn it on and take him out. That bothers me that if he wins we’ll have another champion who doesnt feel the need to hurry up and finish a fight even when its apparent he can do so.
    It doesnt matter though, Im confident Jones will beat Rashad and then probably get the better of Hendo……but with the power either opponent packs in his fists, I could be proven drastically wrong.

Logistically and also for PPV buyrates… Rashad.

For the better fight and a possible upset… Hendo.