Cesar Gracie not letting Nick Diaz walk away from MMA without a fight

Not many people understand the inner workings of someone as complex as Nick Diaz. His trainer, mentor, and friend, Cesar Gracie, however, is one of the few who does at least as well as anyone else.

Fans have not heard much from Diaz since his loss to Carlos Condit and ensuing retirement speech inside the Octagon after the defeat. Originally, the majority felt like Diaz was just upset about how the judges’ decision went. Yet, with his failed drug test for marijuana adding to the mix, it seems more possible than ever MMA has heard the last from Diaz.

Fortunately, if taking what Gracie had to say when stopping by Sherdog Radio as gospel, all hope may not be lost in terms of seeing Diaz back inside a cage in the near future.

“He’s sick of politics, the whole marijuana thing, the judges…it’s kind of a weird thing, but let’s face it; I’m not going to let that guy quit,” Gracie said. “I just don’t see that happening. He’s too good and he’s too important in this sport, I think. If it’s up to me, there’s no way that’s going to happen.”

As far as Diaz’s present demeanor, Gracie explained, “He’s pretty relaxed actually. He’s not stressed out about anything. I was with him last night. He did a few rounds boxing. Nick’s a martial artist. He’s always in some kind of training. It drives him crazy not to be. He’s always doing jiu-jitsu. He’s always doing a little something. Mentally, he’s doing great right now.”

Diaz is 1-1 in his last two fights, having defeated B.J. Penn prior to falling to Condit. The 28-year-old’s next move independent of his fighting future should come in front of the NSAC in a month when his temporary suspension for smoking pot is formally addressed.

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE/UFC

• hindsightufuk says:

i know a lot of people round here can’t stand the guy but i love watching him fight.
    i’d be truly gutted if i didnt get to see him fight again (tho regular rewatches of the Gomi fight would ease the pain)

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Diaz vs Alves, Kampman or Kos anyone?

• Lord Faust says:

Until the NSAC renders a decision on his suspension, there really isn’t much anyone — even Diaz himself — can say about his future.

• Logic, all 3 of those would be great and I would like to throw in an addendum of Story, Fitch, Hendricks, Ellenberger or a rematch with Diego.

Fuck it dont matter, when Nick’s in the ring, the fight packs a certain level of intrigue.

• MCM says:

If Gracie was Russian, he’d be vilified right now. If Nick is truly happier not fighting in the cage than no one, especially his so-called “friend” should be trying to make him get back in it.

He won’t even show up or even care about these hearings who are we kiddin…

• he might he might not….the hearings are a little different than the press conferences. MCM I understand you dont like Nick, but you’re telling me that you wouldnt want to see him reenter the cage with the possibility he could get smashed? The guy is one of the most interesting characters in the sport and never, ever, ever puts on a boring fight. True he does whine like a bitch from time to time, but hey, it is what it is and he sells tickets. I doubt he’s happier not fighting, he just doesnt want the public to know he cares…that’s not the Diaz way.

” I doubt he’s happier not fighting…”

Well he has stated many times if he could get paid the same to partake in triathalons he would be doing that full time.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

There’s no way Diaz is earning in triathlons what he would fighting. Boxing, maybe, but then again who knows how good he’d do.

…..I said “IF”.

and yes it’s a HUGE if…. but my point was that he has more then one athletic love in his life and IF he could get paid just as handsomely doing something else he would.

• Lord Faust says:

Do people earn anything for triathlons?

I’m being serious.

If your a sponsored athlete I guess so…? and if you place top 3 or whatever there must be some prize…?

But I have no clue. I’m sure there are athletes whom are sponsored in one of the 3 genres and they partake in the triathalons during there off time to keep in shape.. no?

Good question Faust somebody must know.

• MCM says:

superdave-
    My point wasn’t whether it is fun or not to watch Diaz in the cage, but was instead a comment on Cesar Gracie pushing his key money maker to continue to do something he doesn’t want to.
    How many times did Fedor talk of retiring only to have Vadim come out and nix it? Then the interwebz blows up about what a horrible, money grubbing, weasel Vadim and M-1 are for not letting Fedor control his own career. Isn’t Gracie doing something similar now?
    To me, that’s what the article is about.
    “…..but let’s face it; I’m not going to let that guy quit,” Gracie said. “…. If it’s up to me, there’s no way that’s going to happen.”

• moosebaby02 says:

he has always said that race and i believe him too. but the key point is paid. as much as he has other vice’s his major one is the mighty dollar. unless he can get out of his contract he might have no other choice

• Lord Faust says:

MCM raises excellent points, but I don’t think it’s a completely fair comparison — Fedor/M1 versus Diaz/Gracie. There are quite a number of similarities, though, as you point out.

Gracie is definitely more of a traditional manager than Vadim and co. With Fedor’s ownership stake in M-1, that’s a trickier relationship than being a star pupil and running a gym together. M-1 pushing for things like co-promotion — that go well above and beyond what any sane person would negotiate regarding a fighter — is the key difference. Nick just wants money.

Gracie acts as a mouth-piece and probably has to do more middle-man work than most managers, on account of Diaz and his personality quirks. Considering some of Diaz disabilities (whether it’s ADHD or something else), it would not shock me if Gracie has a big hand in keeping Nick’s life in order. I’m not saying Diaz is helpless, but where M-1 are arguably parasites, Diaz and Gracie is at least symbiotic. (Or, rather, appears to be from my limited vantage point.)

Either way, I’d rather hear statements from Gracie than YouTube videos shot in the backseat of an SUV.