Cristiane Santos doing monthly drug tests to help clear her name

Most fighters are content to let the smoke clear after testing positive for steroid use, sliding into the shadows throughout the attached suspension in hopes fans will either forget or at least forgive the transgression. However, former Strikeforce champion Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos is in a unique position after dominating her peers while dodging constant rumors of drug use based on her physique.

Traces of stanozolol in her system after a December title-defense seemingly confirmed speculation Santos had gained an illegal competitive advantage over all of her opponents and slipped up after having previously beaten the system. Now, with her credibility as a competitor in serious doubt, Santos is attempting to repair her image by speaking out against steroid use and taking extra steps to prove she doesn’t need banned substances to excel in the cage.

“I do not condone the use of steroids as an athlete and think it is a horrible thing. I made a mistake of trusting someone in my camp and it has cost me the belt and made me look like a cheater. I am not a cheater. I have passed every drug test and never used steroids knowingly,” said the 26-year old in a statement to MMAPrime before stating her own accountability in the matter, adding, “Everything I take and put in my body is my responsibility. I take responsibility for the results and have publicly apologized to Hiroko (Yamanaka), Strikeforce, the CSAC, and my fans.”

To be as transparent about the process as possible, Santos has made changes to her life, even going above and beyond by submitting samples regularly to a commission-recognized lab.

“I have eliminated certain people from my training camp. I am taking monthly drug tests at the same laboratory that the CSAC uses to show I do not take steroids,” revealed the 10-1 Santos, vowing she would eventually be back and better than ever.

“I’m still training. I’m never going to stop. Everything I did for MMA is not going to stop here. I will be back.”

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

Isn’t she going through a divorce or seperation as well..?

• fitfreak says:

Yes she is. I wonder is that’s the person she has “eliminated” from her training camp.

• Lord Faust says:

My biggest problem with her testing positive is the fragility of women’s MMA and the fact that it validated a lot of cretins commenting on her looks.

I am willing to take her at face value, largely because she didn’t offer up a standard-issue non-apology or a denial.

I honestly do think she’s more likely a freak of nature than a lifelong cheater. I just hope there is someone to challenge her when she comes back.

• Dufresne says:

The only thing that could have been worse than her testing positive when she did is if she had tested positive in a year or two. Right now WMMA is still pretty well off the mainstream map, but it’s making big strides. If she had popped positive when more than just the hardcore fans were watching, it would have been an even bigger disaster for women’s MMA.

I do have to give her credit for taking steps to try and clear her name. I’m not aware of any performance enhancing drugs that would be cleared from the system on a monthly basis, so unless these tests are rigged, it sounds like she’s going to be au naturel in her next fight. I’m curious to see how much of a change there is. Hopefully she won’t be like Sean Sherk who came back from his suspension with half the size he typically came in with. That just cemented his guilt for me.

• AlphaOmega says:

Wait she’s divorcing the male Cyborg? Think he will keep the name after it ends or does she get to keep it.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Brings a whole new meaning to,”It”s that time of the month again.”

good one Doc Stop