Dana White confirms Dan Henderson’s next fight will be a title-shot

Dana White may have a hardened exterior but the fist he rules the UFC with is as fair as it is firm. Though the UFC President recently attempted to book iconic veteran Dan Henderson in bouts against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, the 41-year old held out in hopes of a title-fight only to see White come around in the end instead of lashing out at his defiance.

White was recently asked by HeavyMMA’s Fight Day if Henderson would receive a crack at the winner of Jon Jones’ upcoming defense of the light heavyweight title against Rashad Evans and, somewhat surprisingly, responded affirmatively.

“Yes, Dan Henderson will get the winner of that fight or the winner of the Anderson Silva fight (vs. Chael Sonnen),” said White. “You know, there was a lot of talk about the stuff I said. Here is the thing. I offered Dan Henderson two fights. Dan Henderson wants this fight. Normally I don’t do that. Guys don’t sit around and wait and pick their fights. There’s been very specific cases where that has happened and it’s guys who have earned it or deserved it. Dan Henderson is one of those guys. Listen, Henderson has been around forever. He is forty-something years old. He has been knocking guys out left and right and if he wants to sit around and wait for this title shot, he can do it.”

For fans who have been living in a cage for the past decade, Henderson is a former Strikeforce and PRIDE champion with a 29-8 record and notable victories over Rua, Vitor Belfort, Wanderlei Silva, Michael Bisping, Rich Franklin, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, and Fedor Emelianenko. He’s currently on a four-fight winning streak and found success in seven of his last eight outings.

Jones-Evans are set to scrap on April 21 in Atlanta at UFC 145 while Silva-Sonnen fight on June 23 in Rio de Janeiro at UFC 147.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• THEGUNNER says:

I always wanted to see hendo rematch silva.

Regardless of opponent WAR HENDO.

• Lord Faust says:

Hell yes. It’s amazing how much MMA history came out of the old Team Quest crew.

• JabCrossHook says:

I wouldn’t say he deserves a title shot right away because his fight with Rua was so close, he only threw single digit strikes in rounds 4 and 5 and was outstruck overall by Rua. Whether round 5 should’ve been a 10-8, IMO it should’ve because Dan Henderson landed zero significant strikes and was close to being finished. But that’s besides the point, it was too close to really show that Dan is the true number one contender.

• Angry Mike says:

I like Hendo’s chances against Rashad, although that would be a tough fight. I think Jones is too big and rangy for Hendo and is a good enough wrestler to fight off clinches and takedowns. A Silva re-match would be worthwhile. Hendo looked good in the first but imo, Silva broke him in the second. Hendo’s is as competitive as they come, and I’m sure he wants that loss back.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I would say it will be Hendo vs Jones but I think hes a pussy for not fighting. The main reason for not fighting is they dont want to risk losing imo and that is not what a champion is concerned about. I think Hendo should be forced to fight either a top 5 MW or top 5 LHW before his shot. He could even choose which one but he should be forced.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

I agree with MMA – LOGIC but only because I want to see Henderson fight sooner rather than later.
    Ultimately , I forsee a Sonnen vs. Henderson showdown before the world ends in December…although if Sonnen retains the middleweight belt,he will allow the world to continue.