Former UFC champion Brock Lesnar officially returns to pro wrestling roots

Despite some feeling as though Brock Lesnar’s alleged contact with WWE over the weekend was little more than an April Fools’ Day joke, the former UFC heavyweight champ apparently had the last laugh after showing up on last night’s episode of WWE RAW where he answered any lingering questions surrounding his current contractual status.

Rather than simply be a face in the crowd or make an appearance via satellite, Lesnar walked down to the ring and delivered his trademark “finishing move” to popular WWE Superstar John Cena to close out the show. The action was Lesnar’s first in WWE after eight years away from the organization where he first gained his widespread notoriety.

The 34-year old Lesnar retired from Mixed Martial Arts in December after being stopped with strikes by Alistair Overeem, the hulking Minnesotan’s second consecutive loss via TKO. He left the sport with a 5-3 record and wins over Frank Mir, Heath Herring, Shane Carwin, and Randy Couture.

Watch video of Lesnar’s return to WWE below (hopefully the last time the initials WWE are mentioned on this site):

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MCM says:

hopefully this means we don’t have to read anymore articles on this guy.

• Angry Mike says:

His heart and his colon weren’t in it any more. Good luck to him. I wouldn’t be surprised by an attempted come back some day, though.

Money motivates Brock I think more then anything else….

• Lord Faust says:

Money, and giving people the impression he’s the toughest guy in the room. The latter, obviously not an option with Zuffa.

• Lord Faust says:

Also, I am happy for him. I am hoping this is the last non-MMA article about Brock we see here.

Hey with this limited appearance schedule he needs to get a couple of cycles under his belt to be the monster they want him to portray…. because not for nothing right now if the Rock was standing next to him he would look more like a monster then Brock… Lesnar was looking a bit soft.

• Lord Faust says:

I will admit, I quit watching WWE after the Benoit incident. Thus far I have maintained my self-imposed boycot.

• Cool….glad to see the guy back doin somethin productive with himself. As far as things go, I’ve always lked brock and I feel the hate for him is unjustified. did he deserve his title shot? No, of course not, but he made the most of his opportunity. You name me any other Mixed martial artist who went from rookie to fighting the BEST HWs in the world in 6 of his 8 professional fights? Anyone? Thought not. Just think if he got sent up through the ranks? He could have his record padded like Fedor did for 3 straight years and come into the UFC title picture at 15-0 but no, he accepted a fight with a former champ and whooped his ass got called on a BOGUS standup without a warning and then lost due to a rookie mistake. He played the hand he was dealt and did a fine job of it if I say so myself. I hope he does well, his shooting star press at Wrestlemania 20 was the shit and his athleticism will carry him a long way if he stays around sports entertainment for awhile.

• MickeyC says:

Im with logic on this one. good ridens to bad rubbish. you guys talk abot natural talent like brock has not on roids in the past. get real.

• MickeyC says:

Brocks ass cheeks probably got track marks all over em. natural talent. what a joke.

• Lord Faust says:

Look up his Wikipedia profile. The numbers don’t lie. Regardless of whatever he has or has not used, that wouldn’t make him an oddity in that regard, but his overall success in three disparate fields of athletics is obvious to anyone who isn’t completely blinded with hate.

• MickeyC says:

Please god tell me you are not considering pro wreastling as one of the three sports?

• Lord Faust says:

Wrestling, football, MMA.

Pro wrestling is still athletic but, no, I didn’t count it.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Too many people get wrapped up in “purity of the sport hate”if someone doesn’t have like 10 wins in a row they don’t deserve a title shot and only deserve derision.

Brock wasn’t the best ever but like was previously said he made the most of what he was given. His appearance at UFC 100 is still highest PPV buy and I’m sure him being in MMA drew a lot of casual fans to the sport who then bought other PPVs.

In case some forgot UFC is in the business of making money and Lesnar made the UFC far more money than they paid him and Brock didn’t work cheap either.

You can bet if Brock called Dana and said he wanted to fight in the UFC one more time it would happen.
    The results would likely be the same but, you can bet UFC would write the check.

Looking at the big picture without hate goggles Brock Lesnar was nothing but positive for the UFC. He brought money and exposure to a rapidly expanding sport at the perfect time.

It’s unfortunate that he didn’t start MMA training much earlier and maybe things would have been different. Either way he helped UFC in a big way and he decided he was at a disadvantage to other HWs that have years and years of striking training on him and decided to return to pro wrestling.

Hating him because he got a title shot before some guy not as well known or popular and making the most of the opportunity given to him is just plain ignorant.

• Lord Faust says:

Seriously, he signed a contract and fought who he was told to. What more do you want?

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Love him or hate him ,his appearance on RAW was freaking amazing!
    I’m interested to see if any opponents will bring up any ‘couldn’t hack it in MMA’ comments, because I ‘m sure the WWE will push his UFC champ status.

Who cares why and how?
    Brock was a UFC champ.
    Now he’s earned the right to take advantage of that status.

I’m a mark for Brock… In any capacity.
    I look at Brocks quick mma title shot as business… Brock is big business and if u want to make $$ then sometimes as a promotion you make unpopular decisions as long as it results in revenue it’s all good. Brock made the co. $$ and helped grow the sport… I gotta respect that, not to mention kicked some ass and got his ass kicked..I Gotta respect that 2.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

What 3 years were they superdave? Please name them becuz I think your talking out your ass. I presume you are talking from 2006 to the end of 2008? He beat Coleman coming off a win over the best 205er in the world, then top 10 Mark Hunt, then top 10 MW Lindland, then a freak show against a 350 pounder, then a top 5 HW Sylvia. Is that the 3 years? Just say it, “I hate Fedor for no reason”

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Brock isn’t loyal to one brand or sport, so I can
    see how that might rub some folks the wrong way.
    Brock is loyal to Brock (and Rena).

• MMA-LOGIC says:

What 3 years were they superdave? Please name them becuz I dont know of any 3 year period since 1999 where he didnt face at least 2 top 10 fighters . I presume you are talking from 2006 to the end of 2008? He beat Coleman coming off a win over the best 205er in the world, then top 10 Mark Hunt, then top 10 MW Lindland, then a freak show against a 350 pounder, then a top 5 HW Sylvia. Is that the 3 years? Just say it, “I hate Fedor for no reason and I will try to discredit him”. I would say around 25 of his 38 fights have been against top 25 fighters at least. Including Hunt, Schilt, Herring, Nog, Sylvia, Arlovski, Werdum, Hendo, Babalu, Kosaka, Randleman, Coleman, Crocop, Bigfoot, Fujita, Arona, Rogers, Lindland and Monson. The only guy who comes close is Nog. The guy has had about 15 fights against top 10 opponents at least and won about 12. JDS has had 2 or 3, Carwin has had 3 and lost 2, Valasquez 3 and lost 1, Mir 8 and lost 3, Couture about 20 and lost 8 etc etc.
    Fedor took a few fights where it was basicaly a Fedor exhibition but never for 3 years.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Sorry unsensored version got through.

• hindsightufuk says:

personally the only thing that got me with Brock was the UFC’s willingness to NOT want to distance themselves from WWE/WWF etc.
    i’ve been in MMA for a long long time, and whereas this conversation doesnt happen as much now, when folks used to ask me what sport i was into, i’d say MMA, and most times people would say ‘thats fake’ or ‘thats like wwe’. i fought many a battle for this sport both verbally and physically proving to people that ‘this shit is real’ (except when Ken Shamrock fights obviously)
    so when the UFC grabbed hold of Brock and pretty much sucked him off instead of making him earn his shot, i felt cheated. if i’m out here telling people how it is, how come the sports biggest promoter doesnt give a fuck how it looks and is letting pro wrestlers fight our champions and paying them more and promoting them more than anyone else on their books.

now i couldnt give a fuck….

“then a top 5 HW Sylvia.”

Timmay was coming off a loss and followed up his loss to Fedor with the life changing KO loss to a 47 yr old Ray Mercer, whose previous foray into MMA resulted in gettting choked out by Kimbo Slice…
    MMA LOGIC if your trying to give props to Fedor then Tim Slyvia is the last name you want to throw out there… Timmy went from Top 10 to not mentioned at all in that time span.

• Lord Faust says:

Hindsight: I see what you mean, but at least Brock had a legit wrestling background. If they’d done the same with Batista, I would have probably had an aneurysm from rage puking.