Alistair Overeem fails pre-fight drug test, title-bout in jeopardy

The momentum behind the highly anticipated title-bout between UFC heavyweight champ Junior dos Santos and devastating Dutchman Alistair Overeem ran smack dab into a brick wall this afternoon when the NSAC revealed “The Demolition Man” had shown an elevated level of testosterone in his blood stream and would not be licensed as things currently stand. He will need to appear before the commission and have a “B” sample cleared before being permitted to compete, a decision likely indicating his dance with Dos Santos is officially done for.

Overeem was subjected to random drug testing at a recent press conference promoting UFC 146 where he is/was scheduled to scrap with Dos Santos. All other fighters who submitted samples were cleared.

However, while Overeem’s status is up in the air, at least one heavyweight contender is willing to step in to face “Cigano” on short notice – Frank Mir. Mir is already booked to battle on the May 26 card and viewed as the closest thing to a #1 challenger after Overeem.

“I would be excited if given the opportunity to compete for the UFC’s heavyweight title at UFC 146,” said Mir in a press release from his management team. “I have been fortunate to be able to fight in the UFC for more than a decade, and it is a dream of mine to become the first three-time heavyweight champion in the UFC. Being able to fight Junior Dos Santos would put me one step closer to that dream.”

The UFC has yet to comment on the matter.

PHOTO CREDIT – K-1/STRIKEFORCE

• Sykotick says:

Guess maybe now people will stop trying to defend the ever growing biceps of Alistar Overeem.

• AlphaOmega says:

I’m going to say he claims injury or sickness for the reason he failed the test.

• MCM says:

or he goes the Chael route and just claims he’s too Macho for normal testosterone levels.

And there are several sites trying to get Mark Hunt into the title fight, but I say B.S. to that, put Mir in.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

.There’s no question Mir should replace Overeem if/when he’s officially yanked.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

If Mir does step up to fight JDS where does that leave Cain Velasquez? He is still a draw but no opponent unless you remove either Nelson or Bigfoot from their fight. Seems unless Overeem gets this figured out for the positive someone is without an opponent.

I guess you could move Bigfoot to fight Cain and have Big Country fight Mark Hunt. That wouldn’t be a totally horrible scenario style wise. Hunt and Nelson both like to brawl so that might be fun.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Have Velasquez fight Werdum at UFC 147 instead of Mike Russow. Voila.

What a joke

Reem that is…

• Jstew3785 says:

The UFC needs to re-sign Justin McCully for this fight to truly determine the No. 1 Heavyweight in the world…

• Jstew3785 says:

J/K- Mir should get it…

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Just as I suspected.
    All horses do steroids.

• MCM says:

I get moving Cain over to 147 to face Werdum, but that leaves us without a HW fight on the main card of 146. I personally like Mad_Hatter’s idea of bringing in Hunt to face Nelson and having Bigfoot take on Cain, best.

• Lord Faust says:

Clearly he was prescribed TRT because he was lacking the energy to kill horses with his bare hands and consume the meat raw.

• Lord Faust says:

Not sure what’s worse — Overeem confirming everyone’s assumptions, or Rampage’s “How to Rape a Transsexual” instructional video.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Damn.
    Hey can anyone confirm that Randy was a trt abuser er I mean user?

• hindsightufuk says:

for fuck sake, maybe we could stop testing fighters? be much less of a headache

bring Josh over to fight Junior, no way he’d make that mistake

• adamsfamily says:

I used to play fairly high level amatuer tennis – years ago. In a definitive 5 set match, a guy I had beat twice earlier in our careers in close contests just seemed infinitely more able, quicker, and he recovered very well inbetween games.

Turns out in time he was known for juicing, turned pro – and at the time I thought – what a waste of your time/money/health for fucking amatuer tennis, and to end a low ranked pro.

The instrance did not run me out of the sport, or severely influence my own future path but it was an eye opener about the steps poeple will take.

Truth is – results are results, some get to go places and do things but you can never hide from yourself. Take your lumps overeem.

As I cruise the web I’m surprised more mma fans are not calling into question The Reem’s Fleeing into Holland before the Brock fight when the commision came a knocking for a drug test… he had a whole song & dance with the commision… I’m not undermining his mothers illness BUT there is a lot of grey area in that whole scenario…

oh and the rally to get Mark Hunt a title shot is ridiculous…

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Yes its silly but interesting.
    I wonder what they will do. You would have to think that Mir will get the nod and Cain will face another fighter.
    I dont think Mir would last a rd. Bad match up for him.

• Lord Faust says:

I am confused by Overeem’s dodging the commission before the Lesnar fight. People keep citing that he provided a blood sample instead of urine, but blood can be tested for things urine can’t — like HGH. So, I am having trouble figuring out how Overeem could slip like this — although I am sure the answer is arrogance.

Mir seems like the only reasonable substitute. I’d like to see Hunt on the card, but anything who thinks he’s earned a title shot is deluded — to put it kindly.

“So, I am having trouble figuring out how Overeem could slip like this …”

Probably because It was an unannounced ( and usually unlikely ) drug test after a press conference, he probably thought he had more time to clear anything out of his system closer to the fight…

I think This is why some fighters only fight 2 x a year with huge gaps in between… So they can cycle on & cycle off with out too much worries and plenty of time to be clean pre fight.

Reem still has not contacted the commision to appeal and ask that sample B get tested… probably because he knows it’s not going to make a difference… Guess we will see REEM VS FEDOR in a few months?

Man Reem has got a fucking full plate… $ frozen because of the legal issues with GG legal issues with the gal he shoved and now the failed drug test…

IT WAS ALL GOOD JUST A WEEK AGO… hahhaa way to go Reem you ain’t in Japan no more fool.

• AlphaOmega says:

How old is Overeem? Is he over 30?

• Kamakosmo says:

He’s 31.

And I loudly questioned his sudden need to be in Holland prior to a scheduled drug test. But my opinion was shot down multiple times.

• MCM says:

Yeah, I remember a lot of people saying that his sudden departure to Holland was more than suspicious.

• Lord Faust says:

It was suspicious, but he provided a blood sample — which would be more incriminating than urine — that’s the part that confuses me. Unless he used the lag time to ensure he was totally cycled off; I didn’t think a day or two made a major difference.

My rule is always “until they piss hot, they get the benefit of the doubt”. Now he failed a test; no quarter shall be given.

• Dufresne says:

The problem is, it wasn’t really unannounced. NSAC flat out told him before his Lesnar fight that he was only on a temporary license for that one fight and that in order to be licensed to fight again he’d have to submit to a random drug test in the months prior to his next bout. UFC 146 is less than two months away, he had to know he was going to be tested at some point in the near future. There’s absolutely no excuse for him to even have risked it. How stupid is this guy?

• elsicilian says: