twitter google

Nick Diaz competing at World Jiu-Jitsu Expo in May

Former Strikeforce welterweight champ Nick Diaz will make his return to action in May – it just isn’t going to be inside a cage.

Diaz, who announced his retirement from MMA following a loss to Carlos Condit earlier this year, will compete at the World Jiu-Jitsu Expo on May 12 from Long Beach, California. No opponent has named yet for the proud Stocktonian who himself has not competed in a BJJ match in years.

Diaz is a black belt in BJJ under Cesar Gracie. Gracie, who also doubles as his manager, reported news of the match-up to MMAFighting. Apparently, the WJJE decided that Diaz should compete in a superfight instead of entering a tournament, as the controversial Californian had originally planned to do.

A press release from the WJJE has since confirmed the initial story.

Along with Diaz, Renzo Gracie, Roger Gracie, Robert Drysdale, and a host of others will all be part of the festivities, teaching seminars at the show.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

2 COMMENTS
  • MMA-LOGIC says:

    Be good to see against a guy like Monson or Fedor.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Mad_Hatter_XX says:

    I am unfamiliar with this format of fighting and the rules and such. That being said would they match up opponents who are similar in weight or is it more open weight?

    Would seem anyone would be at a disadvantage if your opponent with which you must grapple outweighs you by 50 to 75 pounds which is what MMA-Logic was mentioning.

    I hope this would be televised or at least available streaming online someplace. I enjoy high level grappling just don’t like when one guy just lays on another to catch his breath and doesn’t make any real attempt to improve position for extended periods.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.