Frank Mir apparently ruled out as replacement for Alistair Overeem

The cloud of mystery surrounding the main event at UFC 146 grew in intensity today when UFC President Dana White went on Twitter to update fans on the card’s status. While the outspoken executive didn’t address the headliner between Alistair Overeem and Junior dos Santos specifically, he did bring up the man who many have pegged as a replacement for Overeem if the disgraced Dutchman fails to obtain a license based on his recent drug testing results.

“Mir vs. Cain will happen,” wrote White on the social networking outlet, implying Frank Mir is still set to face Cain Velasquez on May 26 rather than being considered for a title-fight against Dos Santos. White has also said Dos Santos is still defending his belt at the event, leaving many fans to scratch their heads in an attempt to figure out the UFC’s post-Overeem plan.

Last week Overeem was found to have more than twice the level of testosterone in his system allowed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. He has not spoken publicly on the matter yet though will need to do so in the near future if hoping to save face and maintain his role as the heavyweight division’s top contender. In order to receive a license Overeem will need to meet with the NSAC and have his “B” sample cleared, the latter being extremely rare when requested in similar situations.

With Mir and Velasquez seemingly out of the picture, if Overeem is yanked from the bout with Dos Santos, other possibilities are extremely limited and have even included a fan-driven attempt to put Mark Hunt in the mix.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC/TRIUMPH UNITED

15 COMMENTS
  • moosebaby02 says:

    Ok Zuffa im wating for the big bomb cause if it aint Mir or Cane then who the hell gets the shot at the belt? Legit shot?

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Lord Faust says:

    Obviously they’re bringing Eric Prindle in. Apparently he’s got an open schedule.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • JabCrossHook says:

    Eric Prindle has a championship fight against Cole Conrad in 6 days. UFC 146 is on may 26th giving Eric Prindle only a month and a week to have a training camp and cut weight.

    That’s assuming he is uninjured and is medically cleared to compete after his fight championship fight. I doubt he will fight, there isn’t enough time for him to train and there’s a good chance he’ll lose against cole conrad and probably be injured in some way after the fight.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • darth_irritable says:

    Hendo. I’m a kiwi, but God help us all if they give the shot to Hunt.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Lord Faust says:

    I was joking about Prindle: there are rumours the fight with Konrad is off due to Prindle bailing out. I hope it’s not true, as I haven’t found anything to support it yet, but it was making the rounds late last night.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • MMA-LOGIC says:

    Look I dont think Hunt should get the shot but I do think it would be interesting if he did. His stand up is top quality and JDS stands up and trades. Seriously I think Hunt would have a very good chance against JDS. He is just as durable as Nelson and if he hits JDS half as many times as Nelson did I doubt JDS would still be standing.
    Russow, Rothwell and Kongo is not a terrible title shot run and if it isnt Hunt tthen who? Werdum perhaps actually that is who it will be WERDUM.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • MCM says:

    I’d go for Werdum. But I think they’re gonna just pull Barnett and give him the title shot.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • moosebaby02 says:

    i will give Brock a title shot before Barnett. Werdum maybe??

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • moosebaby02 says:

    yeah Werdum is a rematch right. why not? if they really have too keep the card the way it is

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Mad_Hatter_XX says:

    I think whoever they put in has to be a big underdog. I thought Overeem might have a chance but, looks like he will be taking a vacation for pissing dirty instead.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Lord Faust says:

    It’s going to be a tall order to fill the challenger spot, as no one has been able to make JDS look like anything but a killer so far. I honestly cannot think of a legit challenger outside of *maybe* Werdum, but that’s a hard sell for a lot of reasons.

    Unless Overeem’s lawyers / doctors produce something worthy of being called a “miracle” explanation for the test failure, the Dutchman really screwed up the title picture in the HW division.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • moosebaby02 says:

    more then screwed up Faust.
    man how fucking dumb can he be?

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Lord Faust says:

    Oh, don’t get me wrong, he’s an idiot if this test is legit, but in the grand scheme of things he really shit the bed here. He sent Brock packing, and no one else in the division really has any claim to contendership, except for Frank Mir and, thus far, he is definitively not stepping in.

    I love this, we’ve got the lightweight and welterweight titles in limbo with log jams for title shots, meanwhile we can’t fuckin’ find a guy to viably challenge for the heavyweight crown. THAT is comedy.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • moosebaby02 says:

    but isnt the ufc hw divs the strongest it has ever been. just give mir or cain the shot. thats what i want to see

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  • Lord Faust says:

    It’s a strong division in the sense that they have a reasonably deep roster. The problem right now, though, is they don’t have an obvious number 2 challenger aside from Mir. Take him out of the picture and you have people legitimately supporting a troll-job like The Rally for Mark Hunt.

    Agree or Disagree: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

LEAVE A COMMENT!

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Follow 5OZ