Thiago Alves blames corner for loss to Martin Kampmann

A little more than a month ago UFC welterweight Thiago Alves had a decision win over Martin Kampmann all but locked up when the hard-hitting Brazilian opted to shoot for a takedown to secure top position for the final minute of the round. Kampmann, a crafty grappler with underrated BJJ, took advantage of the attempt by latching on to Alves’ neck and locking in a Guillotine Choke for the submission victory.

Alves, who initially labeled the loss as “devastating”, recently brought the bout up again during a recent interview with MMAJunkie Radio where he blamed the fight-ending sequence on some bad advice from his corner rather than a bad decision on his part.

“When you’re fighting, you’re in the zone. You just react to stuff, and my cornerman was like, ‘Takedown, takedown, takedown’,” revealed Alves. “I went for it and just made a mistake.”

“Maybe he wanted me to finish the fight in a safe position. Maybe he wanted me to finish the fight on the ground so he could take credit for it. I don’t know. But I’m a striker. That’s what I do,” he continued, bringing up additional concern with the unnamed individual having placed a pre-fight bet on him.

As a result Alves has decided to bring in someone different for future outings as a matter of trust, only working with his former cornerman in a training capacity at American Top Team.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MMA-LOGIC says:

The corner didnt have their arm around your neck, Kampman did.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I do remember his corner yelling for takedown but, ultimately it was his decision.

He should have known that he was winning and that Kampman was his superior on the ground. If he would have have kept it standing and just rode out the last 90 seconds we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

• Lord Faust says:

The takedown wasn’t the problem, leaving his neck exposed for Kampmann to capitalise on was the error.

• AlphaOmega says:

Why do some fighters wish to blame their losses on someone else I wonder.

• MCM says:

Alves – “my corner said to take him down”
    Diaz – “my corner said I was winning”
    Mayhem – “I got my ass kicked!”

one of these things is not like the other.

• stone says:

The Danish man was better than the Brazilian man on the ground & vice versa on the feet…. Gotta love the evolution of the sport, man

• MCM-imaginary thumbs up…5oz staff…is thumbs up thumbs down ever comin back?

That was such a good fight but it showed what happens to Kampmann when he doesnt get the finish and starts getting bettered. He Froze up and stopped throwin those great combos that almost got Alves KO’d. Alves then dominated him on the ground to close the round. I would love to see that one get run back again after these two fight a few more opponents.

• MCM says:

I noticed cagepotato has a thumbs up/down feature now. What’s up with that, 5oz?