Keith Jardine: “I want to wait until I’m ready to go out there and put it all on the line.”

Not much has been heard from Keith Jardine since his loss to Strikeforce middleweight champ Luke Rockhold in early January. That’s because, according to “The Dean of Mean”, there’s not much going on in his world where MMA is concerned. Rather, the UFC veteran has been focusing on his own well-being rather than hurrying back to bolster the emaciated state of Strikeforce’s ranks.

“I’m taking a little bit of time off working on a few things back here, trying to get healthy,” said Jardine in an interview with MMAWeekly. “I’m not sure when I’m going to come back and fight yet, but I’m not going to do it until I feel like I’m 100-percent healthy and ready to go.”

Jardine’s decision to reassess his career came in part due to the defeat to Rockhold but more so due to the way he felt inside before and during the bout.

“I feel like I didn’t show up in that last fight,” admitted Jardine who was debuting at 185 pounds against Rockhold. “That’s the first time ever in my career I felt like I was just kind of a shell of myself. I should have had a test fight first, but how can you turn down a title fight?”

“I’m going to stay the course, I’m going to give it another shot and see what happens,” added Jardine, indicating he will remain at middleweight for his next outing whenever it may come. After all, at 36, Jardine also knows his days in MMA are numbered, something working as yet another factor in his decision to take some time off instead of maintaining the pace of an athlete a decade younger.

“If it is my last fight my next fight, I’ll know I gave 100 percent and I gave all of myself. Usually (Strikeforce knows) whenever they want me I’ll fight, and this is the first time where I want to wait until I’m ready to go out there and put it all on the line,” he concluded.

The 17-10 Jardine is 2-1-1 in his last four fights including a Draw against former light heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi. Throughout his well-documented career the popular journeyman has notched wins inside the Octagon against Brandon Vera, Chuck Liddell, and Forrest Griffin.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Wasn’t he saying before his last fight how good he felt and how the cut to MW wasn’t bad at all? Something about best Keith Jardine being ready to fight?

• Lord Faust says:

I assume fighters are lying about anything they say regarding their health during training camp and up to the fight. This seems no different.

• Guthookd says:

We’re still talking about Jardine for one reason. Chuck Lidell.

• Lord Faust says:

something-somethig HURKY JERKY! something-something.

• climbarock says:

I’ve never really understood Jardine’s popularity. He’s hard to watch, IMO. That said, best of luck to him, whatever he chooses to do. It’s not a bad idea for Jardine to retire from fighting after this next one, dude has had his clock cleaned quite a few times.

• Jardine is one of those dudes who just mystifies me. He used to lose every fight he should win and win every fight he should lose then he started just repeatedly gettin his head bounced off the canvas. Sucks to hear he didnt show up against Luke, because that was a sweet fight the entire time it lasted. Keith should continue to train with the boys at Jacksons and help new fighters reach higher pinnacles. He’s a smart guy, seems like a genuinely good human being and tough as nails….as long as that button doesnt on his chin doesnt get tapped. I’ll always watch him fight because he comes to fight everytime(except against bader)

• MCM says:

Thumbs up superdave.
    I love me some Jardine. He has all the skills to be one of the very best in world, but he could never quite put it together. I know a lot of people blame it on his “weak” chin, but outside of Rockhold, he’s only ever been KO’d but guys known for their KO’s. I admit he hasn’t looked the same in a while and I don’t know why. I’d love for him to get back on track but at his age and with the damage he’s taken, I think that it’s damn near impossible at this point. I wish him all the luck in the world, and even if he decides that he wants to fight in local shows for the next 6 years, I’ll still be a fan.

• Lord Faust says:

Keith won me over beating Chuck when everyone was expecting him to be fed to the wolves. I just hope he doesn’t stick around too long.

• fanoftna33 says:

I became a true Jardine fan when he knocke Forrest griffen silly, and really if he hadnt gone wild after rocking Houston Alexander his win over Chuck could have given him a title shot.