Rashad Evans, Jon Jones address personal problems on UFC Primetime

The origin of the heated rivalry between Rashad Evans and Jon Jones is commonly linked to an interview where “Bones” expressed his openness to fighting then-teammate Evans if asked to do so by the UFC. While the 24-year old’s approach certainly aggravated the situation, according to Evans the seeds had already been planted based on an earlier exchange with Jones’ words simply causing a minor issue to blossom into a full-fledged problem.

Evans addressed the matter along with a number of other topics on a UFC Primetime special documenting the build towards his crack at winning Jones’ light heavyweight championship in a few weeks at UFC 145.

“He has a book of notes that he takes, like a book of moves. And he reads this book of moves so that when he fights the moves are fresh in his head. So I go over there in the locker room to wish him luck,” began Evans on the true origin of his falling out with Jones.

“I’m giving him daps and hugs. I’m going to warm him up,” he continued. “And I go and sit next to him when he’s looking at the book of notes and he covers it, he puts it down, and he looks at me. I’m like, ‘Damn, brotha? It’s like that? For real?’ So then I knew at that point I was next on the menu.”

However, as might be expected, Jones sees things differently than Evans, saying his former training partner has manufactured much of the involved drama based on his own inability to hold down his claim to the divisional belt.

“Rashad was the one who got bypassed through hard work. He was the one who needed to find a way to challenge me for the light heavyweight championship. And that’s why Coach (Greg) Jackson, Coach (Mike) Winkeljohn, and everyone on this team is backing me to the fullest in this fight – because I’ve done nothing wrong,” explained Jones.

Thanks to the UFC, fans who missed the original airing can now watch the episode of UFC Primetime online. Check it out below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Less talky talky, more punchy punchy

• fanoftna33 says:

I am so happy we finally get to put this bs behind us soon. That said I think Rashad takes this one and really surprises a lot of people.

• MCM says:

I remember watching this and thinking that the more Jones opens his mouth, the more delusional he sounds. Can’t wait for Rashad to shut it for him.

I thought GJ came across really well though. Unlike Jones, he seems to understand that there is enough blame to go around. I hope he and Rashad can at least be cordial with each other when this is all over.

• Lord Faust says:

Reiterating my membership on the MCM-lead Rashad bandwagon.

I can’t tell if Jones is actually bothering me with his statements, or if I’m skewing my opinion as I tend to after a year of hearing how some guy is “unbeatable”.

Either way, I want this fight ASAP!

• THEGUNNER says:

To bad the prime time is gonna be about these to with out a co main event.

• AlphaOmega says:

I’m going to maintain that while Rashad might have the best chance due to their past, it’s not going to happen this time. Rashad throws his game plan out the window when he gets tagged, and I don’t see how Rashad avoids getting tagged in this fight.

• AlphaOmega says:

I’m also going to maintain that Jones is no more cocky then Rashad is… I actually find him less cocky/full of himself then Rashad.

• Lord Faust says:

I don’t mind the cockiness; you need some of that to survive in a business where you’re fighting other people. If you don’t think you’re better than everyone else, all the other alphas are going to smell that — like blood in the water — and eat you alive.

People conflate confidence with cockiness way too often. I think Jones and Evans have the former, but mixed with the UFC marketing machine and everything gets distorted.

• moosebaby02 says:

k. i havent watched the show n has stoped listening to all the finger pointing. there is only one “kid” to blame in this whole situaton and thats the one who couldnt keep his ego in check. this is a business and business is all about money. what was jonse suppose to do when the offered him a title shot? “hmm thanks but no thanks i dont want to piss off my training partner. he might up and pack his bags n leave”
    what if evans didnt get hurt n won the belt back n jones was offered a shot at him? say no and just fight pointless fights so he can help his buddys ego out. jones at the time was up n comer n evans new that. trust me he knew that. sometime along the road they were going to have to meet up n evans new that trust me he’s not that cosed minded. thats why “he” threw out that crap bout i will never fight my teammate. this was coming n that kid played his peices right so he can everyone to belive that he was really stabed in the back by his once little brother and the jackson camp. sorry but i know to many people like that to fall for it. business is business evans. shut up n deal with it