Kenny Florian: “When did (MMA) become about who uses the better PEDs and who can past the test better than the other guy?”

Even though UFC lightweight Kenny Florian is out with an injured back and unsure if/when he’ll be able to return to the ring it sounds like the former title-contender isn’t all that excited anyways about coming back to a sport devolving with the increased use of illegal substances to gain a competitive advantage.

The 35-year old served up a scathing rant this week on UFC Tonight where he pulled no punches in terms of criticizing peers who have tested positive for drug use.

“As a clean fighter the whole issue of performance enhancing drugs in MMA really pisses me off. This sport is about honor, technique, and discipline,” stated an animated Florian. “When did it become about uses the better PEDs and who can past the test better than the other guy?”

“This isn’t baseball where you’re just hitting a ball. This is fighting and you’re hitting other people in the face,” he continued. “If you’re a fighter and you’re using PEDs, how does it feel good knowing that you won using them? The fans should be mad too. How many fights are the fans gonna miss out on due to failed pre/post fight-testing? Don’t do it dummies!”

In closing Florian called for random testing to weed out cheaters in hopes of saving MMA from heading down what he foresees as a dark path.

Check out Florian’s full statement below:

PHOTO CREDIT – TAPOUT

• Lord Faust says:

I got the point Kenny is trying to make but the honest answer to his question is “since they started testing for PEDs”. It really is that simple.

And as to whether PED users “feel good” about what they do; of course they do! The type of person who uses PEDs either thinks that everyone else is doing it, or they are the sociopathic cheater type who doesn’t feel it is wrong for them to cheat.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Belfort
    Sherk
    Couture
    T.Silva
    King Mo
    Shamrock
    and many others have used PEDs in one way or another and Im sure that that is a tiny %. The reason I think that is becuz fighters would not take them if you could not get away with it. So I believe that through logic we can assume the majority who do it have not been caught. Others such as Hendo use PEDs in TRT. It is still a PED even if its for TRT.

• Lord Faust says:

TRT is a grey area. It’s only performance enhancing if you go beyond the acceptable limit of 6:1 (NSAC) or 4:1 (WADA). If Hendo is legitimately* keeping his levels within acceptable parameters then it is not performance enchancing any more than the vitamins and nutrients in his food — proper T levels are important to overall health.

* Dan claims he has himself tested very regular to ensure he remains within the NSAC limit, to “cover [his] own ass”.

That clip made me like Kenny Florian even more then I already do.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

So Lord you are saying TRT users dont have a performance increase than if they didnt take anything? WTF are you talking about? The whole reason they take it is to have their performance increased to that of somebody with “normal” levels.

• Lord Faust says:

Yes “LOGIC”, that is what I am saying: if you have legitimately low testosterone levels and your use of TRT puts you back in line with what is medically accepted to be “normal”, then it is not an unfair advantage.

Do you understand what the word “advantage” means? TRT, when not abused, puts a fighter at parity with someone who has normal testosterone production.

By your specious logic vitamin C supplements are “cheating” since humans don’t naturally produce it in their bodies.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Hey tell Hendo just to take vitamins and minerals instead.
    “I fell like a 25 year old again” -mid 30s TRT abuser.
    If you think a TRT user gets the same performance with or without TRT you are kidding yourself.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Who said anything about advantage? Do you think a non TRT using Hendo would not have a disadvantage against a TRT using Hendo?

• Lord Faust says:

I don’t even know why I argue with you: you’re like some kind of MMA hipster who when proven wrong — a daily occurence — just counters with “yeah, well you just don’t get it man.” You can’t back up half the nonsense you spew and do a disservice to word “logic” with your utterly sarcastic username.

Look, you’re clearly against TRT — that’s not a bad position to take. But claiming that synthetic testosterone is better than the real thing is absurd. You claim TRT is making Hendo a better fighter at his age than he should be. That’s wonderful, your opinion is worth exactly squat on the matter; you can say it all you want but don’t have a non-TRT Hendo to test your “theory”.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Testosterone is not a PED and doesnt enhance the performance of a person with low testosterone?

• Lord Faust says:

Logic, if they have the same test levels then there is no advantage. I cannot explain this any more so keep on grinding that axe buddy.

• Lord Faust says:

“Enhance” is a relative term. It enhances his T levels from below the average range for a man his age to what is expected. Again, English: do you read it?

It’s only an advantage if he’s fighting someone with naturally low testosterone who is too stupid to get a TUE.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Yeah TRT users dont get any performance increase from using TRT, they do it for fun. They would be just as good with out it.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Enhanced by using it means? That they get benifit from using it.
    Why the fuk do you think they use it?
    Duhhhhhhh.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Enhance definition.

Intensify, increase, or further improve the quality, value, or extent of.

It is a relative term and if you think that testosterone does not improve Hendos performance from his performance without it your a fucking idiot. It is allowed becuz he has low testosterone but HE DOES HAVE LOW TESTOSTERONE so in order to “Intensify, increase, or further improve the quality, value, or extent of” his performance from what it is with low testosterone he uses TRT.
    Now tell me LF do you understand fucking english?
    Also very interested in knowing how Ive been proven wrong daily. I am not always right but very interested in examples and open to debate.

• AlphaOmega says:

Except you don’t debate, you just basically ignore the majority of what people post, and then insult them. If proven wrong you go onto a different topic and ignore the last one.

• Lord Faust says:

Easy.

“MMA-LOGIC” your grasp of english is tenuous at best.

Well, that was easy.

• Lord Faust says:

MMA Logic is the only guy to benefit from the removal of the Thumbs Up / Down. Now we have to read what you post.

• MCM says:

Oh boy…(takes a deep breath)….LOGIC has a point.
    Let’s look at it this way. Say I’m a 183lb fighter that cuts to WW. I decide that the WW division is too tough and want to fight at LHW. To be competitive at LHW I need to pack on 25lbs of muscle. To help get those results I use steroids. Now that doesn’t make me any bigger than the guys that are “normally” at 205 and it doesn’t make me any stronger that guys “normally” at 205, but for my body to achieve those “normal” results, I had to take chemical enhancements, and that’s cheating.
    TRT users may not have above normal results compared to their peers, but to be on the same level as those peers, they had to take chemical enhancements. It may only be putting them into the “normal” category but it’s not normal for their particular bodies. So for me, it’s still cheating.

• Lord Faust says:

Then no fighters should be allowed supplements or any dietary changes.

I am not saying people do not abuse TRT. I don’t know how this got missed in how I worded my responses: I said if TRT is used to put someone in line with what their levels should be, then it’s not cheating. If you abuse it, go well beyond acceptable human levels, or use steroids, the n yes you’re a cheater.

AGAIN, SINCE I FEEL LIKE NO ONE READ WHAT I WROTE: using a clinically prescribed treatment to return your body to what is medically accepted to be “NORMAL” is not cheating.

By that logic, surgery is cheating. Dieting is cheating. Supplements are cheating. Hell, working out is cheating my that definition!

Logic had a point about abuse. an obvious, elementary point, akin to “water is wet” and “the pope is catholic”. Equating all TRT use with cheating is hyperbole and requires logic that is not compatible with reality

• MCM says:

“Then no fighters should be allowed supplements or any dietary changes.” – LF

Agreed.

But then again, I’m in the minute minority that doesn’t have a big problem with PED use. I’m just arguing cause I think it’s ridiculous to make one thing illegal while allowing so many other products that create similar or identical results to be legal. Kinda like that Representative that wants to outlaw masterbation as a form of anti abortion. So take what I’m saying with a grain of salt.

• Lord Faust says:

I absolutely agree there. I think the grey areas are bullshit.

I think TRT is going to fall under a lot of scrutiny and may eventually go by the wayside. I wouldn’t be upset if it was, even if it meant guys like Hendo retired sooner than they want to.

My only bone of contention is that some TRT users cheat but not all TRT is cheating by the current standards being applied to all athletes. I personally don’t think the 6:1 ratio the NSAC uses is anything more than trying to keep money in the state by giving dopers more leeway but that is a personal opinion.

I’d love to pick a sport doctor’s brain about this for 2-3 hours.