Junior dos Santos: “We want to know who the best is, really. Not who’s the best liar.”

A week ago Junior dos Santos was in the midst of preparing for a the biggest fight of his career when he found out his scheduled opponent, Alistair Overeem, might be facing discipline after testing positive for an extraordinarily high level of testosterone in his system. While Overeem’s status as top contender will be determined on April 24 when he meets with the NSAC, the damage has already been done to his reputation in the eyes of countless fans and, as it turns out, Dos Santos as well.

The 27-year old recently opened up on the situation where his waning interest in duking it out with the powerful Dutchman at UFC 146 was evident.

“If the athletic commission and the UFC want I’ll fight him. I am a fighter and will be there to fight, but it is sure to be a disrespect to MMA and how serious this sport is. This will also be unfair to me. I’ve never used these devices to gain strength,” explained Dos Santos in an interview with Globo. “We want to know who the best is, really. Not who’s the best liar. Being a world champion (using banned) drugs – that’s not being a champion. I can clearly say that I am the champion without ever having the use of any illegal substances in order to get there.”

Dos Santos added his desire to see the implementation of similar screenings like the random one he, Overeem, and four other heavyweights slated for the Memorial Day Weekend event were subjected to.

“I favor more rigorous tests to assess whether someone is doped,” said Dos Santos. “It has to be a clean sport and these surprise tests should occur more. If Overeem is more aggressive and stronger, the more he will resist blows and it will be difficult for me. If I lose, it will be unfair. He will not have fought better than I have if he fought doped.”

Though it originally appeared Overeem was destined to have his license denied based on the positive hit, more information has since come to light making it seem as though “The Demolition Man” could avoid punishment altogether. As Overeem is not currently licensed, he may not have been eligible to be tested by the commission and could argue they simply caught him spiking after having undergoing a session of testosterone replacement therapy.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC/STRIKEFORCE

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Ha ha ha! He is going to get away with it! TRT is such BS. It sounds like JDS thinks Overeem is going to fight him.

• Dufresne says:

He wasn’t licensed, but NSAC flat out told him that he’d have to submit to a random drug test before they would grant him a license to fight. So they may not have the authority to punish him, but they do have the authority to deny him a license which would still result in this fight being canceled.

• climbarock says:

If Overeem gets licensed, the NSAC is a joke and TRT loses any semblance of legitimacy – and I don’t think it had any to begin with. Fuck TRT, close the loophole. And if UFC allows the fight to go on, shame on them; I will not be buying the PPV.

I doubt he will get licenced BUT …
    If Reem some how gets licenced I hope win or lose JDS gets a chance to be interviewed by Rogan in the octagon and I hope he flips the script and calls Reem a cheater and a the commision a joke…

PEDs are going to ruin this sport… I just hope guys like JDS & Florian keep being vocal.

• fanoftna33 says:

Liscensed or not JDS is going to fight according to DW. Personally I would still love to see JDS vs Overeem, even though I would pick JDS 9 times out of 10 it is a appealing fight if both guys are considered clean ( which isnt the case now).

• Lord Faust says:

JDS makes a valid point but the only real difference between his fight with Overeem and every other fight in the history of the sport is that Overeem isn’t a good liar in this regard. Besides, a good liar is above suspicion — that’s why they’re good at it.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Its all about the $$$$$$.