Alistair Overeem talks mindset against Junior dos Santos, avoids addressing drug test

UFC heavyweight #1 contender Alistair Overeem sat down for an interview this week on MMA Uncensored Live where “The Reem” discussed his fight strategy for his upcoming bout with Junior dos Santos. Unfortunately, the one topic he refused to address happens to be the area the public is most interested in hearing about.

Overeem and Dos Santos are set to collide for the divisional title in the main event of UFC 146 in May. However, Overeem failed a pre-fight drug test and will need to receive clearance to compete from the Nevada State Athletic Commission later this month.

“I am bigger, I am stronger, I am better in the stand up and I’m better on the ground,” said Overeem of the bout with Dos Santos. “Nothing scares me about Junior dos Santos. Everything he’s doing, I’ve seen it before. I’m not worried about it, I’ve experienced it all.”

While he may not have discussed his licensing status or testosterone use, based on demeanor Overeem seemed very confident he will be cleared of wrongdoing when he meets with the NSAC on April 24 and locked into the title-fight against JDS.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Lord Faust says:

So no official release of his alleged 51-page document “Reaching the Heights of Humanity” where, among other things, Overeem states his physique is the result of secret Chinese training regimens and replacing protein shakes with white wine?

I swear, I’m not making this shit up. (Link)

• Lord Faust says:

Maybe the article I linked is a troll job, not sure, but it made for fun reading.

• darth_irritable says:

From WADA’s Guidelines:
    “The concentration of testosterone and epitestosterone (equivalent to the glucuronide) should be
    estimated but should not be used to determine the T/E value. In the case of high T/E values, the
    concentration of epitestosterone is frequently low and it may not always be possible to measure
    epitestosterone precisely.”

Note – the epitestosterone may be low, not necessarily the Testosterone high. It’s unlikely, but not inconceivable that the T is normal and the E is not.

WADA also goes on to say “there is significant variation between individuals . A normal level for one individual may in another be elevated and be consistent with doping. ”

i.e. the T/E in itself proves nothing, it’s the absolute levels and/or the presence of synthetic metabolites that is damning.

• Lord Faust says:

That’s something I asked initially when the T/E test was explained; is it possible Overeem’s Epitestosterone levels are out of whack (for whatever reason) thus skewing the ratio high?

Some times I wish I went to medical school instead of college for programming, haha.

• darth_irritable says:

Faust – yes I think so. T/E is normally a prompt for further testing. A cyclist back in the day got busted with a high T/E, but the T was normal. He got busted later, and admitted doping, but continued to deny that he was doping for that test. Don’t know what would cause a low E level though.

The TRT thing is BS in my mind – that shouldn’t skew the T/E test, I don’t think, but would explain the presence of metabolites. Then again, I’m not a doctor – it could be the reem just has dysfunctional nads that don’t produce E :).

That said – until we get more, I’m witholding judgement on the juicing or otherwise of Ubereem.

• Lord Faust says:

Seems wise. I mean, there’s a heavy shadow of doubt hanging over Reem but I am anxiously awaiting the NSAC hearing. I get the feeling there’s an ace-in-the-hole or a new challenger would have been shuffled into the mix.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Hes on juice and going to get away with it.

• Lord Faust says:

Regardless of outside opinions, the hearing will shed light on everything. We can bitch about a fishy decision by the AC if / when one is rendered. Until then, Overeem is as likely to be licensed as not.

• hindsightufuk says:

i dont recall the last time a major fighter failed a test and then had it over turned or pissed clean second time. its not gonna happen, Overeem can talk all the big fight he wants now, chances of himm fighting this year are worse than Nick Diaz

• Lord Faust says:

It’s a weird situation, though, as he was tested without a license. I am sure the legality of that will be challenged plus whatever else they have up their sleeve.

I agree, chances look slim based on the few known facts. The thing is, no one is going to say a word until the hearing so we’re left with supposition and little more.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

The law doesnt provide justice and often provides the wrong doer with a loop hole and by the sound of it Overeem has many loop holes.
    Its true that a result has never been overturned like this before (that I can recall) but it is also true that the circumstances have not come up before. Overeem is a massive name with massive $$$$$ attached to it, the random test was out of the ordinary (it was like a sting), he wasnt liscenced, TRT is in there and a few other factors.
    I have a horrible feeling that Overeem will escape the penalty.

• darth_irritable says:

Logic – again – the ratio in itself tells us nothing – it’s the absolute values that are more meaningful. The point I was trying to make is that while unlikely, it’s possible he’s clean – IF they test and his Test level is in normal range.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Its also possible that the tester was corrupt, that the former KGB had a hit out on Overeem and they tried to kill him by putting testosterone in his horse meat burger, that Aliens from another planet …
    You are cluching a straws. He has been suspected for years by peers, fans and insiders. It has almost been a joke that “sure he is clean”. Now they had to surprise him with a sneak test becuz the last time they tried to test him he left the country and you seem to think its possible he doesnt take it. Sure it is possible but its more likely that the guy who has been avoiding tests got caught out with a surprise one.

• darth_irritable says:

Dude – LIke i said – I think it’s unlikely he’s clean – I’m just pointing out it’s possible. What is interesting is that NSAC didn’t follow WADA’s own recommendation which is to submit for further testing.

• Lord Faust says:

Once again MMA Logic fails to read anything in a thread, content to spew bullshit and his own personal opinion as though it were fact — and not the product of a deranged, stuntent mind.

For the 900th time, “LOGIC”, the commission will have their hearing and decide the matter. You know nothing more than any of us. Yeah he’s probably dirty. Let’s let the professionals and the doctors have their say. You’re not qualified to officiate a tug of war between adolescents and considering the weight you give unsubstantiated public opinion I hope you’re never on a jury or committee of any importance.

• Lord Faust says:

Darth: Logic doesn’t understand what “relative” means, so you’re wasting characters and typing time.

I miss the thumbs down button; it ensured “LOGIC” and his bullshit was only visible to masochists who would click further.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Tell me what does reative mean you goose?
    Still angry about me telling you that a testosterone is a PED. Booohooo. What a cry baby, you were wrong and suck it up. You type well for a fool.
    Haha whos telling who they know more? Did I say I knew you fucking clown? No I didnt so grasp it. I said sure its possible but unlikely. Perhaps you should read WHATS SAID ON THE.THREAD YOU FOOL.

Hows this.
    Hendos performance would be ENHANCED by using TRT realative to what it would be without using TRT.
    Is that relative you idiot.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Hey darth irritable do you follow the ABs or a super rugby team?
    I was born in Queenstown and you are a kiwi too no?

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Sorry Lord Fool but you are wrong and now throwing a hissy fit.
    Take it like an adult. Ive been on this site for a long time and this is def not the first time you have been wrong so why the fuss now? Do you do roids or something? It would explain the “roid rage”

• MMA-LOGIC says:

And then he avoids the debate.
    Stand up for opinion without insulting me. Ya know like an adult. Its not a good look to just insult somebody and then run away like a coward saying “youre not worth it”. People see through that shit and know it is becuz you know you are wrong and dont want to face up to it. Debate me without getting personal if you can and we will go from there.

• MCM says:

Did you just call a grown man a goose?
    Ah hahaha!

• MMA-LOGIC says:

It was in the heat of the moment and my roid rage was acting up. It just came out.
    He started it.
    Its all come from another thread where the idea that testosterone is not a PED was raised. I said it is even in TRT becuz its relative to the fighter without TRT and he said it wasnt becuz they have low testosterone. Then he started with the insults.
    The way I see it, speed is an upper. It doesnt cease to be an upper if the person who takes it is more down than most. I would have let it go but he pretty much said I was dumb, always wrong and not worth arguing with. I disagree.

• darth_irritable says:

Logic, yep – I’m a Kiwi. Super glad we won the cup, but more importantly, beat the French! Only way it could be better is if we beat the Wallabies in the finals.

Funny you mention Queenstown – I was just back in NZ this week and went down to Queenstown – we got beautiful weather for once. Very cool.

• Lord Faust says:

Logic, I’ve tried the “nice guy” way, thus far it has not worked.

I seriously cannot explain the nuance of the point I am making in simpler terms without resorting to hand puppets and crude diagrams.

Clearly you have some incredibly hardline approach to TRT, good for you — at a basic level I agree with you to some degree. Thus far the CSAC and a bunch of doctors are on my side of this discussion, however — it has legitimate medical uses, full stop.

I’m not on some moral crusade against cheating. I care whether or not fighters meet the requirements established by the athletic commissions. If they give Overeem a pass then so be it; you can take them to task on that separately. I think the athletic commissions could be doing a lot more to curb PED usage if that was their primary objective.

By your “logic” everyone is cheating so it’s moot, if everyone’s able to cycle off the juice for the fight then the playing field is as fair as it’s going to be — given the circumstances and realities of testing everyone all the time. If Overeem gets a license and exposes the NSAC as a bunch of dubious shit-bags then so be it — we’ll cross that bridge when we get there. But, according to you guys are getting away with it all the time so what does it matter if Overeem pisses hot in the “off season”? You’re OK with watching all these other fighters who — again, according to you and that list you like to copy-paste all the time — also cheat, yet they pass because they’re not randomly tested (without a license) at a random press conference.

Right now there is the potential Overeem has an excuse that flies with the parties whose opinion actually dictates the matter. Whether you, I, or anyone else reading our little bitch session disagrees is ultimately irrelevant.

Do I want fighters to be clean? Fuck yes. Do I think PED usage is widespread and endemic to every high-level sport? Again, fuck yes. Unfortunately I believe in cumbersome stuff like due process and Overeem’s right to appeal. There are plausible — albeit extremely improbable — reasons for his test. Why don’t we wait to find out what Overeem says?

• MMA-LOGIC says:

There again I cant be fucked reading what you have to say. In your opening couple of sentences you insult me twice and patronize me.
    Now let me resort to hand puppets. You are confusing enhance with cheating.
    TRT enhances Hendos performance from his low testosterone level to that of what is within a legal limits. Testosterone however does boost his performance from what it would be if he didnt take it and therefore it FUCKING ENHANCES IT. Now what you fail to see is that a TRT users ENTIRE FUCKING REASON for taking testosterone is to boost it back up. The starting point is NOT NORMAL LEVELS.
    Now you could argue that a person with no testosterone recieves no performance enhancement when they take TRT but you would be wrong. It IS enhanced to a point within the limits. Again I stress this is where your confusion lies, you think enhanced is over the normal levels but it is not becuz it is relative to the individual and if you have low or high testosterone, taking additional testosterone enhances your performance. Just becuz his testosterone is still within the limits does not mean that his performance is not boosted (enhanced) by taking it. Look say Hendos performance with low testosterone is a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10 and with TRT it is 7. His performance is enhanced by taking the drug becuz his starting point is low testosterone levels and not “normal” levels.
    If a person with bad legs gets given good legs are you trying to tell me there ability to walk is not enhanced becuz a normal person has good legs? The enhaned part is from being a bad walker to a good walker and not only if they can run 100m in 3 secs. Like I said its relative to the person before the application.
    One last thing, by working on your cardio your ability to fight is enhanced even if you are less fit than “normal”

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I do apologise for the nasty stuff and it seems we disagree.
    @Darth I hope you are not a Blues supporter. They have won 1 from 8 I think.
    I was hoping for a Aust NZ final but at least we got a semi against them.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Last thing testosterone boosts (enhances) the performance of fighters that take it, this does not mean they are cheating or have a greater ability than if they had “normal” levels. It just means that before they take it they are at a lower level of performance than after it and therefore it enhances their performance.
    I am not arguing that TRT users are cheating but I am certain that TRT helps fighters that have low testosterone to fight. This is what TRT does for a low testosterone male.

What are the potential benefits of testosterone therapy?
    Improve muscle mass and strength
    Increase bone mineral density
    Thicken body hair and skin
    Improve sexual desire
    Boost energy
    Decrease irritability and depression
    Improve cognitive function

Now it doesnt enhance it above “normal” levels in TRT (well it shouldnt) but it does enhance it from low levels.
    I think you are arguing that TRT is not enhancing a fighters ability above “normal” and therefore it is not a PED and not enhancing. I am arguing that testosterone is a PED (and is classed as one) and it does enhance the ability of a fighter with low testosterone along with a fighter with “normal” testosterone. I dont even think we are arguing the same thing.
    After 30 your testosterone falls away so “normal” is in debate also. E is also banned but athletes often take E to balance out their E to T ratio.
    Anyway Im over it.

• darth_irritable says:

Logic – I am a JAFA, but a Hurricanes supporter…

• Sykotick says:

Um just gotta throw my 2 cents in real quick,
    Testosterone is NOT a performance enhancing drug. It’s a naturally produced chemical that is circulated by the Endocrine System.
    Saying testosterone is a PED is saying that everyone with a working pituitary gland is a cheat.
    Now il leave you two back with yall prick waving contest lol jk jk, I love a good spirited debate.

• Sykotick says:

Holy shit, I need to sleep created, not circulated, lol

When a fighter says he feels like he’s 5-10 years younger when partaking in testosterone replacement therapy how is that not considered a performance enhancer?

Just like everyone else I was looking forward to the HW title fight but I really think if Reem gets licensed and then goes on to win the fight it will be the beginning of the end of a sport I enjoy watching & being a fan of…. I think Zuffa is foolish for not having already moved forward with a replacement and promoting the ppv… This will Just give pols and other ppl whom dislike mma more fuel for there fire.

Commissions are an extension of local govt why would a surging promotion of a growing sport want to draw any further unwanted negative attention?

• THEGUNNER says:

I read ther are no long term studies on trt so maybe these guys are playing with fire. See u guys are making me read.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Watch the trolling/insults on here. Friendly warning.

• Lord Faust says:

All I care about in this whole situation is that the process is followed. If the process is broken, then maybe we need something truly egregious like the Overeem situation to act as a catalyst for change. Some times the best way to expose a broken, flawed system is to simply use it to its fullest extent. “How did this happen!?” I used the system as designed. “SHIT! We better fix that!”

Overeem failed a test, he has to apply for a license. The failed test will come up; maybe the scientific merits will be nullified, maybe the NSAC overstepped their legal bounds, who knows? (On a personal note: if AO gets licensed without explaining the test via some well-backed medical proof, and it’s just a case of a legal loophole being exploited then I will side with everyone calling for his head and saying it would be a black mark on the sport. Conversely, if he walks into the hearing and makes a reasonable case for his failed test and provides credible proof that he is not on PEDS then I say “let them fight.”)

The legitimacy of TRT is something that absolutely needs to be investigated. Presently the CSAC has stated that they will allow exemptions but are moving forward slowly and explicitly stated there would be as much oversight on the matter as possible. Based on my layman understanding of human biology, I do not see a vast difference between therapeutic TRT (keeping you at parity with human normalcy) and protein shakes or vitamins. I am certainly willing to be proven wrong in this view: with proper explanation from doctors and other qualified medical professionals. The plural of anecdote is not “data”; regardless of fighters singing the praise of TRT as though it were a legal steroid. The placebo effect is a very real thing, this is why proper studies need to be done.

TRT is just the hot topic; the PED debate is never going away. I’ve said numerous times that I find the grey area of “supplements”, TRT, and out-right steroids to be something that has never been adequately explained to me.

In a perfect world, a rigorous testing program would be in place: random blood tests for all fighters in and out of competition — covering anyone with a valid license and even one expired by as much as a year — and loopholes would be closed, or at the very least based on a sufficiently large body of scientific evidence.

• fitfreak says:

Sykotick, supplementing with exogenous testosterone is without a doubt a performance enhancer. It doesn’t matter that this is a hormone already being produced in your body. The effect of adding more than your body naturally produces will increase muscle mass and libido while lowering body fat. (There are other effects as well, both good and bad.) It will do this to a degree without even altering your current diet and exercise routine (this is well documented in a number of studies). If you have a good diet and exercise regimen, the results can be pretty dramatic; just check the cover of any bodybuilder magazine. They also use other steroids, but test is regarded as the best mass builder.

• fitfreak says:

Lord Faust, there is a vast difference between therapeutic TRT and protein shakes and vitamins. Protein shakes and vitamins are really overrated. There has been plenty of studies on both. I get what you’re saying though. Someone on all of these supplements aren’t really natural. Do you realize how much meat you would have to consume to get 5g of creatine daily?

“Therapeautic TRT” levels vary. You could be a 40 year old male on TRT and easily get higher testosterone levels than you had at 20 years old. Someone going from 200ng/dl to 800 is going to notice a very significant change. You can have all the protein shakes and vitamins you want, and you won’t notice much of a difference, unless you were malnourished to begin with. Most doctors don’t even monitor levels. I’ve heard of plenty of people with a prescription for 200-250mg per week, which will put your test levels well past 1000.

• Lord Faust says:

Fitfreak: thanks for the info. That’s the sort of stuff I like reading. I would like to know more about what constitutes “legitimate” TRT and how it is administered. (Obviously that would not stop someone from procuring it through shady means and juicing at their leisure.)