Jon Jones: “The difference between me and Rashad is Rashad is not a martial artist by any means.”

Though he may have in the beginning, these days UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones doesn’t respect Rashad Evans. Jones and Evans have been on a long, winding road to the Philips Arena where they will meet in a week at UFC 145, going back-and-forth in heated interviews. Neither one seems to have positive feelings towards the other and that’s especially evident on the side of “Bones.”

“The difference between me and Rashad is Rashad is not a martial artist by any means,” said Jones, in a recent interview with Sportsnet.ca. “I think it’s funny when he does commercials in a meditation scene – he’s sitting there pretending to meditate. He doesn’t meditate. He’s a guy who grabs his crotch at people. He was actually talking while Lyoto Machida knocked him out. That’s not a martial artist to me. I don’t respect that guy.”

Jones worked with Evans at Greg Jackson’s gym in New Mexico, but when Jones won the UFC light heavyweight title and agreed to face Evans, “Suga” left the camp. The two have been bitter enemies ever since, including an altercation between them in a Las Vegas club and several exchanges through media.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Whatever. Just fight already.

• elsicilian says:

Whenever two guys fight, they do a lot of press beforehand to drum up interest and generate PPV buys. Often during these interviews and appearances they will say disrespectful/inflammatory things about their opponent. Sometimes it’s genuine, sometimes they’re just hyping the fight … but there is always *some* sort of back and forth, and generally speaking the more antagonistic the repartee, the more money everybody makes in the end.

With a moniker like “MMA-LOGIC,” one would think you’d have figured out how this little game works by now …

• Lord Faust says:

I tend to agree with him on this one. The press is really starting to repeat itself; the whole beef is well defined. The 21st can’t come soon enough. I am looking forward to this fight big time, but the huge gap between their falling out and this fight is getting on my nerves.

• elsicilian says:

You guys are pretty hardcore fans … you are either going to buy the fight or you’re not. The hype isn’t for your benefit … it’s to attract casual fans. Given all the mainstream press that Bones Jones has received lately, there will be an unprecedented number of first timers hearing about this fight, and the more tempestuous pre-fight hype they see, the more likely they will be to pull the trigger and buy the thing.

Like you I am very much looking forward to this fight as well … Saturday can’t arrive soon enough! I’m just saying, don’t hate on a brother for doing his job!

• Lord Faust says:

Fair enough. :)

• MCM says:

Yeah but most of those first timers aren’t logging on to 5oz for more Jon Jones news.
    Sorry Mr. Harms, but this little statement hardly qualifies as news worthy.

• darth_irritable says:

I’m not a big Rashad fan – I think he *is* cocky, but Jones is worse iMHO. I still think Dan Henderson’s right hand has the best shot at Bones, but I’ll be interested to see if Rashad can do anything. Bones doesn’t react well when things aren’t going his way (check the first round against Machida), so I’ll be watching to see if Suga can shut him down.

Oh and because this is the interweb, haters gonna hate, and troll troll troll :)

• MMA-LOGIC says:

With a name like elsicilian you would think you would be aware that I dont give a fuck if you think me being over the BS is not OK.
    Who is hating? I just want this to end and the 2 guys to fight. Do you want them to hype it up for longer and postpone the fight?
    Im over it and dont care if you dont like that. OK?
    Im a big fan of Jones but not a big fan of BS.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

By the way.
    I am aware why they hype fights genius but thanks for the effort.

• elsicilian says:

The fight is next week (4/21). They are going to spend this week promoting it heavily, and they are going to lead into it with a lot of hype in MMA forums as well as mainstream media outlets. The fact that you “are over it” and you “want it to end” couldn’t be any more irrelevant.

And if you think THAT’s BS, here is some more late-breaking news that’s sure to disappoint you: school isn’t out until next month, and Christmas will be held in December this year.

• AlphaOmega says:

Darth Bones may not react well when things aren’t going his way, but Evens locks up and goes into survival mode at the instant his chin gets touched since Machida KO’ed him.

• AlphaOmega says:

I just realized I put Evens, not Evans. Sorry.

• Dr.Stoppage says:

So in the ‘He Said She Said’ that is being promoted between the two, who’s the ‘She’?

• Lord Faust says:

“…And another things, Rashad is a lousy tipper and his gym shoes smelled bad!”

• MCM says:

Dr.Stoppage – In my experience, it’s always the She that says they never did anything wrong. ;)

• Dr.Stoppage says:

Ahhhhh….so they’re both being the ‘She’?

• Lord Faust says:

Victors write the history books.

What’s the difference between us? We can start at the penis or we can scream
    I don’t give a fuck and see who means it…

• Dr.Stoppage says:

In all fairness,there have been two reports of what Jones said without a report of what Evans has said in between…now I HAVE to know what Evans is saying next or I’ll assume 5oz is being biased.