Dana White puts an end to talk of Mark Hunt facing Junior dos Santos

One simple statement was all it took to shoot down the online community that has actively been rallying for Mark Hunt to slide into a potentially vacant title-shot.

During the post-event press conference for UFC on Fuel 2, organizational president Dana White was asked about the recent outpouring of support for Hunt to replace Alistair Overeem and face Junior dos Santos for the heavyweight title next month. Hunt is currently scheduled to face Stefan Struve on the same card and it appears he’ll remain in that position despite the support.

“Mark Hunt will not get title shot…will have to fight a contender,” White said. “They can keep rallying. It ain’t going to happen.”

Hunt seemed to be the fighter most online wanted to see replace Overeem if he’s not licensed to fight later this month when he faces the NSAC to address his use of testosterone. Though Hunt has righted his ship as of late, winning three fights in a row, jumping straight from being outside the Top 10 into title-contention seemed a long shot even before White made his comments.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• AlphaOmega says:

First sentence needs reworked a little.

On the note of the article though, I never understood the massive backing for Hunt really to get a shot, Mir should get it over Hunt, sadly that won’t happen either.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

It was a feel good story to keep people busy when there wasn’t a whole lot of action inside the octagon

• Lord Faust says:

It probably earned Hunt some coin anyway. IIRC, fighters get some small bonuses for their presence on Twitter; I bet this rally racked up a bunch of followers.

Yeah, the title shot talk was absurd but you can’t blame people for trying.

• darth_irritable says:

I’m a fellow kiwi, but am glad this is the case. Let Mark get through Big Nog, or someone who can pull off a takedown, and then we can talk about a shot.

I still say Hendo is a good short term alternate – IF – AO doesn’t have something up his sleeve to eke out a license. Yes, I know Hendo’s on TRT, and possibly did roid up earlier in his career (though his 20 years of cutting may be the cause here), but he gets himself tested off season to make sure he’s in the normal range, unlike say a Marquardt, who was so far out of range, he couldn’t come back down for when he knew he was going to be tested, and Hendo’s been on TRT for five years without popping positive, unlike others /*cough cough chael cough cough */ who cant seem to make one cycle.

• fanoftna33 says:

I would love to see Hunt fight JDS myself, but understand not giving him the shot. What I hate about this is that DW says basically f off fans we dont care what you want we will do what we want to do. i thought they listened to the fans?

• No its not F off to the fans we dont care what you want its F off have some damn sense. Mark Hunt has NO business getting a title shot without at least two more quality wins. Mir deserves it more and IMO Struve deserves it more than The Super Samoan.
    I mean i get the whole fan favorite thing and voting on who we want to fight a champion could be cool, but it could also make for real piss poor matchup in in this case what i consider a gross mismatch that’s not even been earned yet.

MMA fans across the globe showed once again that they are nothing more then sheep waiting to be herded….

It was literally like hey if the cool kids are doing it then so am I…

Don’t get me wrong I like Hunt but a title shot? C’mon…. yeah 3 wins in a row, well guess what Mike Russow got 4 wins in a row should we give him a title shot? Look I like the super samoan but let’s get real…I think some of the very vocal #RallyforMarkHunt supporters thought they were Occupying Wall Street.

• Lord Faust says:

The #RallyForMarkHunt hash-tag was started as a troll job. The fact it got as far as a press question posed to Dana means I ought to tip my hat to whoever started it.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Hunt is a good match up for Jr and has beaten 3 top 20 fighters in a row. So it would be nowhere near the worst title shot Ive seen.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

If he beats Struve I think its fair to put him in a title shot elimination.