Jon Jones thinks Rashad Evans is “fake, arrogant, selfish, and self-centered”

If there’s one flaw fans have seemed to find with otherwise invincible light heavyweight champion Jon Jones it pertains to the perception he is a cocky athlete hiding behind a curtain of humility; that he’s a phony. The criticism first heated up a year ago when former teammate Rashad Evans labeled him along those lines, pointing to Jones’ attitude in camp and desire to fight him despite promising otherwise to his face.

Evans and Jones addressed the topic on last week’s Ultimate Insider during the second part of a segment seeing them go face-to-face over a variety of subjects. While Evans certainly didn’t stray from his belief, Jones was ready to defend himself, stating he felt the #1 contender is projecting the negative characteristics he sees in himself when it comes to dishing out insults.

“As an athlete, yeah I have a chip on my shoulder. There’s completely two different people. Jonathan Jones is a great person and I’ll say that about myself. ‘Bones’ Jones, yeah he’s a little high on himself. And I should be because that’s why I compete at the level I compete at and I train/believe that way,” admitted Jones before turning talk to Evans.

“I have no sympathy for Rashad whatsoever. I remember (him) leaving Greg Jackson’s and saying, ‘I needed a team that can just focus on me. I need something more based around me,’ and now (he) created the Blackzillians. I say it all the time – there’s no ‘I’ in team, there’s no ‘I’ in Jackson’s, there’s an ‘I’ in Blackzillians. So I really look at (him) as fake…arrogant…selfish…self-centered…and I think (his) biggest thing is to try to reflect it off on me and make me seem like I’m everything (he) is feeling inside of (his) heart.”

As might be expected, Evans didn’t take kindly to the matter and quickly fired back, starting a memorable exchange likely leaving host Jon Anik on edge based on the increasing intensity.

“The truth of the matter is you did wanna fight me and now we’re fighting, that’s just the bottom line,” snapped Evans.

“Why would I want to fight you if I’m the champ,” asked Jones in reply.

“Because you can’t be the champ unless you beat me,” Evans returned.

“I already am the champ, Rashad. I just choked out the guy who knocked you out. What are you talking about,” an smirking Jones answered, alluding to his submission victory over Lyoto Machida in December.

“You’ve got the belt but you ain’t the champ.”

“You had this long, ugly fight with (Quinton Jackson) where you almost got finished…I finished ‘Rampage’, I’m not the champ….Lyoto knocked you out silly and I just finished Lyoto…and I’m not the champ,” said Jones, his amusement in the debate dwindling. “I feel like the champ in every way and I feel like I’m gonna do the same exact thing to you (at UFC 145).”

Evans and Jones fight this Saturday night in Atlanta to settle their personal score with the added bonus of Jones’ championship being on the line.

Check out video of the interview below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• THEGUNNER says:

This was a good video not so much hype but real issues. I got to give it up to the guys @ 5 ozs of pain for being the best mma site. I look @ this site before any other and usaully dont have to look at another after getting my mma fix here. Keep up the good work..

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Appreciate the kind words. Couldn’t do it without one of the best readership bases in the biz.

• Angry Mike says:

So who’s the selfish phony? Maybe we should Rashad’s ex-wife and kids. As I recall, she was his girlfriend from college and married him before he was a big star in the UFC.

• MCM says:

Rashad entered the cage on his hands and knees. Now Jones enters on his hands and knees.
    Rashad started each fight out squatting. Now Jones starts out squatting.
    Rashad called Jones a “fake” and “arrogant”. Now Jones is calling Rashad “fake” and “arrogant”.

Anyone else notice a pattern?

• Brendhan Conlan says:

What you’re saying is Jones will tweak his nipples on Saturday night?

• fitfreak says:

I’ve tried hard to like Rashad, but I just give up.

god I can’t wait for this fight to be over and done with…. next.

• moosebaby02 says:

that would disturbing and funny at the same time Brendhan

• moosebaby02 says:

better yet doing it over Evans crumpeld body after he destroys him

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I reckon they will kiss after the fight and one of them may even go for a butt grab.

• Dufresne says:

The longer this goes on the more I think the majority of this falls on Rashad. It seems like Rashad is pissed at Jones, Jackson, and everyone else at his old camp, but the only one that seems irritated at Rashad is Jones. When one guy is calling everyone else fakes, it sure makes it look like you’re the one with something to hide.
    That said, they’re both being cocky assholes. Hopefully after this fight only one of them will be able to stay a cocky asshole.

• Screenplaya says:

Rashad by decision.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Never liked Rashad. Long before this feud with Jones I thought he was an arrogant jerk and this does nothing to change my mind.

Evans has trash talked his way into an ass beating to be delivered by Jones. Rashad will be outclassed and out worked.

Jones finishes him before end of round 3.