twitter google

Nate Marquardt claims Strikeforce debut will involve a title-shot

A little less than a year ago Nate Marquardt was released by the UFC after an elevated level of testosterone forced his last-minute withdrawal from a headlining fight. Since then Marquardt has remained inactive, signing with BAMMA but never actually making his debut for the British promotion. Now, after inking a deal with Strikeforce, it appears “Nate the Great” will receive a crack at the company’s welterweight championship despite the circumstances surrounding his departure from the UFC, his yearlong stint on the shelf, or never having actually fought at 170 pounds.

Though not officially announced by the organization, Marquardt recently revealed he’s been told that his May debut will involve the divisional belt.

“It’s the best outcome I could have imagined, with all this. Like I said – back with Zuffa, back in a title-fight for my first fight back. It’s amazing. I also understand it’s gonna be a five round title fight for the 170 pound title,” stated Marquardt on Inside MMA where he confirmed the clash would come against unbeaten grappler Tyron Woodley.

“You know, he’s a smart fighter, but at the same time, I have a lot more experience than him. It’s gonna be my fight to dictate where it goes,” Marquardt added on the topic of “T-Wood”.

The match-up is expected to take place on May 19 at a show already featuring Gilbert Melendez defending his lightweight strap against Josh Thomson and the Grand Prix Final between Josh Barnett-Daniel Cormier.