Rory MacDonald: “I believe I am on the cutting edge of the sport and the future is very bright.”

At 22-years old, Rory MacDonald is one of the youngest fighters on the UFC roster. He’s also one of the most highly-touted with a 12-1 record including wins over a number of respectable adversaries and his only loss involving last-second stumble against Carlos Condit costing him a likely decision victory. While his success at such a young age may surprise many fans it certainly doesn’t come as a shock to MacDonald.

MacDonald, who fights Che Mills this Saturday night at UFC 145, was oozing with confidence during a recent interview with Fightline where he discussed his upcoming bout and how he views himself as a competitor.

“From the very beginning I set goals for myself so I am not surprised that I have accomplished all that I have up until this point,” explained MacDonald, adding he’d fallen in love with martial arts at a very young age.

“One of my main goals has always been to be original and exciting at the same time,” he continued. “I want to win and entertain the fans all at once. I believe I am on the cutting edge of the sport and the future is very bright.”

In Mills, “Ares” will see action against another rising welterweight. He is currently on a five-fight winning streak including three opening round knockouts. However, outside of the basics, MacDonald couldn’t tell you much about what his adversary has to offer inside the Octagon.

“I really don’t know all that much about him,” admitted MacDonald of Mills. “That’s how I like it, the less I know the better. I normally don’t do a lot of research or watch a lot of video of my opponents past fights. I just kind of react to what I see in front of me. All I can do is worry about myself and making sure that I am in shape and prepared for anything and everything. My coaches are the ones who set-up my game plan and they train me accordingly. I can tell you that he is a kickboxer and that’s about it to be honest with you.”

Though MacDonald may subscribe to the theory of “ignorance is bliss”, it’s growing nearly impossible to overlook the young Canadian contender himself, especially with the momentum of another win potentially under his belt. Fans can catch his bout with Mills on PPV with things starting up at 10:00 PM EST.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• No doubt that Rory is one of the most promising up n coming fighters in the sport and he trains with a camp that’s just goin to make him better and better HOWEVER If he doesnt learn to study the weaknesses of his opponents it makes me wonder one of two things. 1) Is he lying? Because Zahabi and co are usually very big on going after an opponents weaknesses or 2) is he really that stupid? This is the first time he’s fought someone in the UFC that there isnt tons of tape on and some dudes you really need to know what they’ll do.

I dont believe he didnt watch tape on Nate….he fought him too correctly.

• Lord Faust says:

I just want the commentators to stop calling him the next GSP. Hell, I wish they’d stop saying anyone will be the next (insert name here). Give these young guys a chance to become the first Rory MacDonald!

• You know how it is Faust…every sport is searchin for the next Montana, Jordan, Woods Phelps…etc etc etc.

I agree though.

• Lord Faust says:

The comparisons are inevitable, I agree there. But they seem to be jumping the gun; hearing Goldberg and Florian compare Gustafsson to Jones was the definition of absurd.

• AlphaOmega says:

There seems to be a few more people in the past few yrs saying they don’t study tapes or care about what their opponent has done. I’m guessing some of them at least say it because it seems more impressive and macho.

• AlphaOmega says:

Also Lord Faust, I absolutely agree, it was annoying how everything Gustafsson did was apparently almost exactly like Bones.

feels like deja vu from the last Rory MacDonald confident / cocky post.

• Rece….just shows the high opinion of himself….which there’s nothing wrong with unless it gets his head knocked off on saturday.

It WAS irritating how everything was Jon jones like….the only comparison I saw was unpredicatbility. Past that Alex looked like a kickboxing artist whereas Jones just looks like someone who’s gotten better with his striking and throws crazy stuff just to be unpredictable.

• MickeyC says:

Looks to me like he is his biggest fan. 2 to 1 says when he does loose for the first time, he ends up a cryer.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Unrelated to MacDonald but on the subject of “next” labels, here’s an article a swell guy by the name of “Jack Burton” wrote for one of our other Rebellion sites dismissing the notion of Gustafsson being the “next Jon Jones”…

• king mah mah says:

@Brendhan Conlan- LOL, sounds like racism to me! What the white guy can’t live up to Jones? We need to see an immediate match up between these two to settle the score! LMAO!

• king mah mah says:

What cracks me up the most is this article trying to sell Thiago as some bum that anybody could beat! Beating Thiago was VERY significant no matter what your name is.

• king mah mah says:

I could argue that Jones hasn’t beat anybody as tough as Thiago.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Okay, I’d like to see your case though please make sure you don’t omit the fact Lyoto Machida destroyed Thiago Silva.

• king mah mah says:

Machida beating Thiago has nothing to do with Jones’ wins.

• king mah mah says:

Jardine beat Lidell. Wanderlei beat Jardine. But Lidell beat Wanderlei. What does that prove?

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Thiago Silva has beaten nobody I would call top level. He is not a quality fighter imo. Also imo his performance last weekend was pretty bad. He had nothing, no plan B, no speed, nothing. It was really easy for his opponent. He is very overrated. Jones has beaten at least 5 guys I would consider tougher than Silva…actually 6. Machida, Rampage, Bader, Bonnar, Rua and Matyushenko.
    If Silva actually beats a top fighter in form(ever) I may change my mind.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Still waiting for your argument on why Thiago Silva is superior to Machida, Rua, and Jackson.

• Lord Faust says:

I could argue that Jones hasn’t beat anybody as tough as Thiago.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.