Rashad Evans, Jon Jones show softer sides on recent UFC Primetime special

Contrary to popular belief it turns out there is more to Rashad Evans and Jon Jones than each being a former teammate of the other who has a personal stake in their April 21 title-fight at UFC 145. Shocking, isn’t it?

In fact, outside of their rivalry Jones and Evans are human beings like the rest of us, though obviously a pair of individuals with extraordinary athletic talent, competitive drive, and the mental tenacity to test themselves inside the Octagon. While each may be fueled by the history with one another, as well as the involvement of the sweetest prize in the sport, the light heavyweights will also be fighting for their families this weekend.

The topic of those most dear to them came up on last Friday night’s episode of UFC Primetime where Evans started inducing viewers’ sniffles by explaining the difficulty in being away from his home to train in Florida.

“I always wanna be there for my kids and to not be there is hard. And I just hope that all the fighting and everything, it pays off and it helps them in their lives, because it’s all I really have,” said Evans, fighting back tears before recollecting himself later to explain, “No matter what you have going on in your life, it doesn’t matter, because when you step out there into the Octagon you better be ready to fight. Because your opponent…he doesn’t care. He’s trying to get paid. He’s trying to get paid off you. So what are you gonna do about it?”

Jones also narrowly avoided waterworks when discussing the death of an older sister who had impacted his life greatly and whose memory he hopes to honor on a daily basis.

Check out the complete video below (with plenty of non-sappy stuff too):

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Too much! Im starting to lose interest in the fight as a result. Is it just me or is this hype/build up the most “down your throat” ever? I dont give a shit if Rashad doesnt like how Jones talks with his mouth full or if Jones thinks Rashad is naughty. OVERKILL.

The fight needed to happen as soon as the beef started but it couldnt so it didn’t… at this point that beef isover cooked and so well done that you want to pass on it… I’m not buying this ppv, and I really hope they hug it out so I can go back to hating on them both equally.

• THEGUNNER says:

Im not ordering this one. Or any over hyped card anymore.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

Imagine how much better the card would have been with a second bout worth promoting heavily (thus cutting down on the over-saturation of Jones/Evans). All it would have taken is a legit opponent for Rory MacDonald or even one of the big UFC on FOX 3 fights like Diaz/Miller or Koscheck/Hendricks.

• THEGUNNER says:

If they brought any thing to the table this card could of been great. Even kimbo vs tank abbot rematch would of been worth talking about. Imagine how bad this event would go to shit if jones or evens puu
    Lls out due to injury. That would be funny.

• Lord Faust says:

I think Dana would turn red and his head would literally explode.

• MCM says:

I didn’t know Crazy Horse was a Blackzillian.

• moosebaby02 says:

maybe im high but i looking forward to this card. Two Canadians, Schaub vs Rothwell, Brown, Torres and more. Maybe I love MMA to much

• adamsfamily says:

they must spend some money with JMH films, because they are particularly well produced.

and I’m with you moose, any mma overhyped or not is better than fucking football (thats soccer in the colonies)