Anderson Silva-Chael Sonnen rematch reportedly being moved to Las Vegas

There’s no question the upcoming rematch between UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva and rival Chael Sonnen sells itself and would fill an arena in any MMA-loving area. However, when the bout was revealed for UFC 147, the prospect of seeing the two face off with the backdrop of 80,000 fans in Silva’s proverbial backyard of Rio de Janeiro was one no fan could resist salivating over.

Unfortunately, it now appears the match-up may be in jeopardy, at least in terms of taking place in a Brazilian soccer stadium.

Last week it was reported a United Nations conference scheduled in the days preceding UFC 147 would prohibit the event from taking place based on Rio’s inability to coordinate two major events during the same period of time. While talk initially pointed to the show simply being moved back a week or two, Brazilian media outlet O Globo has revealed Silva-Sonnen is not only switching dates but countries as well.

According to the report, the fight will now take place in Las Vegas with June still being targeted. UFC President Dana White, Silva, and Sonnen are all expected to be in Brazil on Tuesday to address the situation at a press conference where more details will likely come to light.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

As long as Sonnen gets an embarrassing beat down I don’t care where it takes place.

• MCM says:

“…United Nations conference scheduled in the days preceding UFC 147 would prohibit the event from taking place based on Rio’s inability to coordinate two major events during the same period of time…”

Is this supposed to be a dig on Rio? I remember last year, NYC was shut down during a UN summit.

Anyway, if it’s not held in Rio is should be held in Oregon. Tit for Tat, I say.

• hindsightufuk says:

man i wanted to see Chael get murdered in Brazil, it would just be more romantic.
    Vegas will do though

I’m in NYC and when Obama comes to the UN the city is on Lock down even more so then it already is…

• Lord Faust says:

“Inability” seems like a neutral description of the issue. Based on the NYC examples stated, it seems valid to state Brazil is “unable” to have both events occur so close to each other.

• Dufresne says:

But Brazilian fans are always so well mannered, especially in soccer stadiums. What could possibly go wrong?

• Niv says:

I think this is a better scenario as I honestly believe the possibilty of a lynching in Rio was very real.

As much as I think Chael’s a douche, I’d hate to see mma tarnished by some idiot getting killed on ppv.

• Lord Faust says:

Maybe it’s ignorance on my part, but I too had some serious concerns about Chael’s safety. He has said A LOT of stupid things. There’s a good chance nothing would have happened, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to consider.

Pol are saying there’s simply no hotels that week everywhere is no vacancy because of the UN & that’s the real problem?!? I guess they figure they can’t hold an event if there’s no place to set up shop I dunno…

Pol= ppl

• Angry Mike says:

Screw the U.N. It’s completely ineffectual, and not entertaining at all. Silva v. Sonnen II takes precedence. Just ask the fans in Brazil!

• Richard Stabone says:

This is awesome. Moved to July 4 weekend. Already had my room booked. Now I just need help from all the people expecting this fight to play out like the first — I rally hope they get their bets in on Chael to help keep the line reasonably close. Condit paid for my last Vegas trip; Anderson oughtta have this one covered.