Georges St. Pierre says he’s “in good shape” but “not fighting shape” yet

UFC welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre is working his way back from knee surgery that has kept him sidelined for several months. St. Pierre, who will be in Atlanta for UFC 145 this weekend helping corner training partner Rory MacDonald in the co-main event against Che Mills, feels like the rehab has been long but clearly needed this time around.

After pulling out of a planned bout last year with a different knee injury GSP went too hard in practice and injured his other knee, resulting in torn ligaments and major surgery. Now, months removed from the operation, he is starting to feel more like his old self.

“It feels very good,” said St. Pierre of his leg in a recent interview with MMA Junkie. “In two months, I’m back to training. I’m in good shape now, but I’m not in fighting shape. In two months it’ll be 100 percent. Now I feel something is not 100 percent. But in two months, it’ll be out of mind.”

“Rush” still looks to be targeting November 17 for his return when the UFC has a show planned for his hometown of Montreal. Barring another injury GSP will face Carlos Condit to unify his title with Condit’s interim belt.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Lord Faust says:

I know the site has to tow the official line, but when he fights Condit it will be Carlos chance to finally a win a title. If he doesn’t defend it, he didn’t win squat beyond contendership.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Come on! Condit won that race against Diaz fair and square and he deserves the title. Diaz was miles behind. I reckon Diaz would prolly stand a chance in a fight against Condit though but we may never find out.

“in good shape” but “not fighting shape” yet…

GSPs good shape is my fighting shape…

• MCM says:

GSP’s “out of shape” is my fighting shape.

• Lord Faust says:

Haha, same. My body is a temple, but I am the god of ice cream.

• Richard Stabone says:

Glad to hear GSP is recovering well and that it’s looking more & more likely the Condit fight will happen before year’s end. The interim belt was, as often the case, unecessary and mostly a ploy to help sell some PPVs. Condit has talked numerous times about wanting the shot at GSP, but has he ever voluntarily brought up the silly interim belt? I’m not sure why it still gets talked about or, more importantly, why anyone cares. I guess the same silly effect of trying to hype things for the pending title fight.