Cain Velasquez has no problem with Frank Mir getting potential title-shot

Many are anxiously awaiting the Frank Mir-Cain Velasquez match set for UFC 146 in May. However, if Alistair Overeem fails to receive his fight license due to a recent drug test and is pulled from the planned main event that night with Junior dos Santos, rumors have Mir taking his place in the title-fight (even if UFC President Dana White has shrugged off the notion thus far).

Velasquez, who lost the title to Dos Santos last year, would not stand in Mir’s way if such a scenario unfolds and he is given a crack at the championship.

“I definitely think that’s fair,” said Velasquez, in a recent interview with MMAJunkie. “He’s coming off of a three-fight winning streak. Dos Santos beat me fair and square. If I had won the fight, then I’d be in the same position. If they lift him up, then yeah, I’d definitely be fine with that.”

The Mir-Velasquez bout is set to name a #1 contender if it remains signed to the card. Mir has said he would fight Dos Santos on short notice if necessary based on the belt’s involvement.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• moosebaby02 says:

i caant remembber why i like Cain again?

• darth_irritable says:

Cain is awesome. You see Jones being that legitimately humble after the right hand of Dan Henderson K’s him TFO?

• Lord Faust says:

Looks like it’s official now.

Can’t wait to find out why now, less than a week before Overeem’s hearing, they swapped the fight. It seems like they know something but aren’t sharing yet.

• MCM says:

I guess their gonna move Overeem down to fight Cain (if he gets by the commission). If not Overeem, I hope Werdum is getting in shape and can jump in.

• Lord Faust says:

There is talk Overeem may just bail on the UFC.

Would be a shame but unless he has the greatest medical excuse in history, I am not sure how he gets licensed anyway.

I’d like to know why they announced this now, rather than when the test initially was disclosed.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

As as I am aware there may be grounds for the last test to be void. I am not sure but I heard that the tests may have been taken when not licensed or applying for a license and therefore cant be taken into account. It is only something Ive heard and Im not sure if it is true or just speculation.

• AlphaOmega says:

He wasn’t licensed when he failed the test true, but that still doesn’t mean NSAC has to give him a license, even if the tests are thrown out they can just say nope.