Breaking It Down: UFC 145 (MAIN CARD)

Now that we’ve had a few moments to go over the preliminary card, it’s time to look at the six fight main card. With Jon Jones-Rashad Evans headlining, as well as some pivotal bantamweight and welterweight bouts, fight fans are sure to be treated to one hell of an awesome night of fights, so call your cable providers or go to your local watering hole ASAP and get ready for some “LA VIOLENCIA!!!!!”

Mark Bocek (10-4) vs. John Alessio (34-14)

Bocek is a damn good lightweight. Say what you will about his inconsistencies, but Bocek has only lost to some of the top lightweights in the world. No big deal. His grappling prowess is guaranteed to give fits to anyone in the division. His opponent, the returning Alessio, enters on short notice but should be more than prepared. The Canadian fighter is ready for action and looking to make a big statement upon his return. Unfortunately for Alessio, I don’t think he’ll fare quite as well as he hopes. Bocek is legit, Alessio has trouble with serious grapplers, and he’s going to end up tapping out to something.

Winner – Mark Bocek defeats John Alessio via Submission Round 2

Mark Hominick (20-10) vs. Eddie Yagin (15-5-1)

Hominick needs to get back on track following a devastating knockout loss back at UFC 140 in Toronto. The Canadian featherweight contender is on the long road back to the top, and in an ever-improving division such as the featherweight class, he needs to make some definitive statements. With guts, heart, and determination, Yagin is a hard guy to be matched up against. He’s absolutely tenacious, very skilled, and won’t lay down for anyone. However, I think “The Machine” has his number, and although I don’t expect a stoppage, I certainly expect the “Team Tompkins” fighter to beat up Yagin, probably badly.

Winner – Mark Hominick defeats Eddie Yagin via Unanimous Decision

Miguel Torres (40-4) vs. Michael McDonald (14-1)

Torres makes his return to the octagon after being briefly fired for his rape surprise-van joke. The one time pound-for-pound contender, who has embraced a bit of a more safe fighting style as of late, still has the skills required to cause problems for anyone and his only loss in recent memory, to Demetrious Johnson, is a fight he very well could have won. McDonald is often overlooked in the bantamweight division. Still incredibly young, the powerful and well-rounded fighter, who is always improving, looks for a key win here to propel himself to a potential title shot later in the year. While the sky is the limit for McDonald, I think Torres will use his experience and incredible gameplanning to give McDonald a scrap and win a close decision.

Winner – Miguel Torres defeats Michael McDonald via Split Decision

Ben Rothwell (31-8) vs. Brendan Schaub (8-2)

“Ben Rothwell, you absolutely suck.” Whoa, sorry, I think the ghost of Chael Sonnen overcame me for a second there. Rothwell is back to have a solid five minutes and suck air for another ten. While he used to be a highly-touted heavyweight, he doesn’t really offer too much to an already shallow division. Schaub may never be a champion in the UFC, but he’s an incredibly athletic and improving fighter. With almost all of his fights, win or lose, ending by knockout, it’s no doubt that Schaub puts on exciting fights. I expect this fight doesn’t fit that criteria though. Rothwell will gas, Schaub won’t be able to finish, and this is going to get UGLY.

Winner – Brendan Schaub defeats Ben Rothwell via Unanimous Decision

Rory MacDonald (12-1) vs. Che Mills (14-4)

MacDonald makes his long awaited return after eight months away from the cage. The Tri-Star prospect and training partner of welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre is definitely just a short time away from being a champion in whatever division he chooses to fight in. I am more confident in his abilities than I am of even someone like “Bones” Jones. His opponent, Mills, probably shouldn’t be in this fight. Everyone, including Rory, has underestimated the Brit and honestly it’s a fair assessment. It kind of feels like Mills is being thrown to the wolves. I can’t say too much else about that.

Winner – Rory MacDonald defeats Che Mills via Submission Round 1

Jon Jones (15-1) vs. Rashad Evans (17-1-1)

Here is where I get weird. Jones comes into this bout on a hot streak. The light heavyweight champion has made relatively short work of everyone who has stood before him, and the hype is definitely justified. Evans finally gets his shot at the belt after so many false starts, but I think the wait has done him well. While the feud has cooled off, he and Jones have been constantly improving, and we will see them at their best tonight.

Call me crazy, but I’m confident “Suga” ‘Shad is going to beat Jones. Jon is better – way better even – on his feet. However, he is distracted mentally, incredibly cocky, and likely not fully prepared for what Evans brings to this fight. Rashad dominated Phil Davis with ease, including outwrestling arguably the best 205-pound wrestler in MMA. He can go 25 full minutes, he can dominate on the ground, and his hand speed is insane when he lets loose. I think Rashad is going to mix limited striking with takedown after takedown, and from there he will hold the lanky Jones down and go to work on him. As the fight goes on, a frustrated and gassed Jones will get taken down with more ease, end up more humbled, and come back stronger than ever. This will not be his special night.

Winner – Rashad Evans defeats Jon Jones via Unanimous Decision

I’ve done enough talking and writing, you’ve done enough reading, so go get some fresh air and get back in time for those darned fights. Tune in to see the main card at 10:00 PM EST on PPV.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MCM says:

And we have another convert! I’m gonna disagree with you about a UD though, I think Rashad is gonna finish him.

• darth_irritable says:

Right there with you MCM. Jones will be KTFO.

• Lord Faust says:

I know it’s a long-shot, but I think it’s worth taking.

• Richard Stabone says:

Bones by 3rd round stoppage. I’ll say he rocks Evans on the feet, finishing things on the ground with some elbows/strikes before the ref puts a halt to things.

• AlphaOmega says:

Richard Stabone speaks the truth

• darth_irritable says:

I’m running with Evans stuffing Jones, and getting takedowns, frustrating him. After a round of this, Jones loses composure, and Evans begins to dominate.

I fear it will play out a different way, but I am HOPING it plays this way.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Jones via TKO becuz I think making up stuff like “hes destracted mentaly” and “he is too cocky” as reasons for the better fighter being beaten smacks of wishful thinking.
    Jones has top quality wresting and is fully aware (& so is Jacksons) of Rashads stregths and wrestling. If Rashad is to win it will be via strikes on the feet but I think it will be Rashad that ends up on his back and seeing stars via gnp.
    Like always is the case, you can not take Rashads fight against Davis and say “well he out wrestled him” and think that translates to this fight. Becuz if you can then Jones out striking the best strikers in the division and EASILY out wrestling Bader, Hammil, Matyushenko and Rampage says Rashad will not dominate with wrestling.

• MCM says:

Jones wrestling is the most overrated aspect of his entire game. Yes, he has a %100 TD defense ratio, but he’s only ever had to defend 12 TD’s in his entire career. Bader had maybe one takedown attempt, Hammil didn’t try any, Vlady didn’t try any, and Rampage tried 2 (I think), but he hasn’t taken anyone down in years. Rashad is far and away the most dangerous opponent (wrestling wise) that Jones has faced. EVER. This is gonna be the first time in 16 fights we get to see what Jones has in the wrestling department.

And Yes. You can absolutely look at the Davis fight and say that Rashad has the better wrestling. Just like you can look at the Shogun fight and say Jones has the more diverse striking. But I guarantee that Evens takes Jones down in the 1st.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

No thats wrong. The reason they could try a TD or more TDs is becuz Jones prevented it with distance or simply defended, clinched and put them (the “better wrestlers”) on THEIR back. Bader, Hammil and Matyushenko ended up on their backs from the grapple/clinch.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

And it doesnt work like that becuz GSP out wrestled Kos does not mean he could out wrestle Shields or just becuz Couture out struck Liddell in their first fight does not mean he could out strike Belfort for example. Werdum prolly out struck Overeem but that does not make him a better striker. Come on, honestly there are so many factors at play that you must know it does not work like that. Jones Is a completely different fighter.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Anyway we will see soon.

• MCM says:

WTH man. Do you just wanna argue with me or what. You can’t say I’m wrong then repeat what I say.

Me: “Jones has only defended 12 takesdowns.”
    You: “Well yes, but that’s cause he prevented them or simply defended them.”

THAT’S WHAT I JUST SAID!

And it still doesn’t change the fact that he’s only had to do it 12 times in 16 fights.

Everyone talks about how great Jones striking is cause he’s go toe to toe with great MMA strikers. He hasn’t had to get into a grinding wrestling match yet. When he does, then it’s fair to talk about where his wrestling is at. Until then it’s mostly speculation.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Ummm its not what you said at all.
    You said his TD defense is the most overrated part of his game BECUZ he has only defended 12 takedowns to which I said no its that he has made them pay for it by putting them on their back. You are saying overrated Im saying no not overrated VERY VERY GOOD.
    Wow and you think I cant read.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

How do you not get that?

• MCM says:

By that “Logic”, Rashad has the best Jujitsu in LHW division, cause he’s never been tapped and almost no one ever tries to submit him. He’s just soooo good at Jujitsu that no one want’s to Jujitsu him. Whatever guy.

But you’re right when you said we’ll see soon enough.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

No thats stupid.
    Jones has defended 17 TDs at 100% and then taken down fighters including such high quality wrestlers as Bader, Matyushenko, O’Brien and Vera. So to conlcude from that his TD defense or wrestling is “overrated” seems a little strange to me. Thats all, no need to try and put words in my mouth to win an argument with an imaginary foe. You were the one jumping to conclusions about his “overrated” TD d not me.

• Richard Stabone says:

Jones wrestling is the most overrated aspect of his entire game.

Perhaps, but that’s sorta like saying MJ’s jump shot was the most overrated aspect of his game. In other words, this supposed liability of Jones is still capable of holding its own, or beating, any of his opponents.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

You were saying “guy”?
    Rashads sub d is good though or is that “overrated” too becuz he hasnt been put in enough triangles and arm bars to convince you?