UFC 145 Results: Jon Jones retains title with convincing performance against rival Rashad Evans

Former light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans (17-1-1) was back in Atlanta for tonight’s title-fight at UFC 145 against Jon Jones (15-1) where he was out for the same success he experienced the last time he stopped in town, deboning Chuck Liddell in a 2008 tilt. Their clash marked the climax of a yearlong build towards the bout highlighted by the public falling-out between the forming teammates at Greg Jackson’s gym in New Mexico.

When the smoke cleared Jones emerged with his hand raised after utilizing his range and creative approach to outpoint Evans in every round, even wobbling him early with a beautiful series of elbows. The victory was Jones’ fourth straight over a former divisional champion.

The card also featured a handful of other interesting bouts including Octagon appearances from Miguel Torres, Mark Hominick, Brendan Schaub, and Rory MacDonald.

While MacDonald’s star was bright as ever, the other trio of aforementioned individuals all came up short in their outings including highlight-reel knockouts of Schaub and Torres. However, MacDonald was dominant against opponent Che Mills, battering the Brit with a barrage of blows from above to pick up the second round TKO.

A full list of UFC 145 outcomes can be found below:

Marcus Brimage def. Maximo Blanco via Split Decisioni
Chris Clements def. Keith Wisniewski via Split Decision
Mac Danzig def. Efrain Escudero via Unanimous Decision
Anthony Njokuani def. John Makdessi via Unanimous Decision
Matt Brown def. Stephen Thompson via Unanimous Decision
Travis Browne def. Chad Griggs via Submission Round 1 (Arm-Triangle Choke)
Mark Bocek def. John Alessio via Unanimous Decision
Eddie Yagin def. Mark Hominick Split Decision
Michael McDonald def. Miguel Torres via Knockout Round 1 (Strikes)
Ben Rothwell def. Brendan Schaub via TKO Round 1 (Strikes)
Rory MacDonald def. Che Mills via TKO Round 2 (Strikes)
Jon Jones def. Rashad Evans via Unanimous Decision

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• THEGUNNER says:

I need some advice frome my fellow fans. Is ordering on x box live worth it.

• Lord Faust says:

From what I’ve heard from another poster here, it was pretty awesome. I haven’t taken the plunge yet, though.

• AlphaOmega says:

My friend did it once, it was pretty good, if you have a really good connection its worth it, he doesn’t and we had to turn everything else offline to get a good picture.

• MCM says:

two fights in and two split dec. that were clearly UD’s. This does not bode well for the rest of the card.

• THEGUNNER says:

Im gonna do it even though I said I wasnt ordering this one. Who am I kidding.

• MCM says:

I never thought I’d see Njokuani in a boring fight. That’s 15 minutes I’ll never get back.

• Sykotick says:

Gunner, its great! Granted I have a good connection. It’s in HD and you have free replays for 24 hours.

• MCM says:

Does Joe only do the interviews on the PPV portion? I’m wondering why he hasn’t interviewed any of the winners.

I watched some of the prelims but I’m not ordering the ppv… So odds are something amazing will happen

• Richard Stabone says:

From the live events I’ve been to, Joe will occasionally interview the winners on the prelims. Wonder Boy, for example, Joe hopped in the ring to interview after his spectacular head kick KO debut which was the first fight on the entire card, with a mostly empty arena at Mandalay Bay at that point.

I think it’s a subjective thing, where if they expect the fight will be aired (on delay) as part of PPV filler then he’ll do an interview. Otherwise, not so much. But now that every fight from bottom to top is being broadcast (and viewed) live it makes more sense to do some more interviewing, time constraints permitting of course.

• THEGUNNER says:

I got it and recomend it. Its better thatn my cable.

• Richard Stabone says:

Good form by Big Ben at the end of the interview. Certainly much better than beating up fat kids at the fair.

• Richard Stabone says:

Holy moly Rory’s a beast.

• Richard Stabone says:

People have been talking down this card for a while, but being treated to Rory & Bones on the same card is a hell of a thing.

• Lord Faust says:

This card took a while, but heading into the main event I am still glad I started watching from the opening fight.

• Lord Faust says:

First couple fights were kinda balls, but some nasty finishes in the last 3 fights.

• moosebaby02 says:

Rogan needs to get off Evans NUTTS

• Sykotick says:

Fuckin CE courses!! I’m missing this fight but reading a play by play and jumping like a retarded achool girl!

• Lord Faust says:

First off, willing to admit I made a wrong pick.

But, seriously, how did Jones not finish Rashad? Shogun, Machida, and Rampage — they all fell.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Im not going to be a prick about it becuz I do enough of that already on this site but I fucking told you so. I think people let their hate or like of a fighter get the better of their judgment. They convince themselves of something that really isnt logical based on emotion. Jon was always going to negate Rashads wrestling and Rashad new it. Rashads best chance was never going to be holding Jones down or trying to get him there. His best chance was landing a big shot and he nearly did a couple of times. It was a good fight, although the pub I was at would scream at yhe top of their lungs (seriously) everytime Rashad threw a punch. So annoying. They slowly became more quiet as Rashad became more quiet.
    P.S. Rothwell looked in the shape of his life. I hope his piss isnt full of a little something.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

LF its becuz Rashad is a really good fighter now. Rashad has every right to call himself #2 in the world imo. I would like to see Hendo, Mo, Cavalcante and Mousassi have a crack at the UFC LHW elite though. Despite what anyone thinks it is hard to get a feel for how good these guys are until they start mixing it up in the cage. Hendo vs Jones, Cavalcante vs Shogun, Mo vs Rashad and Mousasi vs Lyoto would be a great place to start.

• darth_irritable says:

I was shocked at Rashad’s complete inability to execute a viable gameplan. He didn’t even try. One takedown attempt, completely half-assed.

I felt like there were several spots in the fight where Jones pulled moves just to say he *could* finish Evans any time. The guillotine he used on Machida being one, and pulling guard being another show of strength.

I wanted Evans to win, but no go I guess. I still think Hendo has the best shot, since the right hand has game-ending potential any time, any fight.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

0 from 21 attempts now guy. 100% TD d.
    Against decorated wrestlers like Vera, Rashad, Matyushenko, Bader, Hammil and O’Brien.
    Doesnt exactly sceam “overrated” to me.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Darth, Jones has done a lot of damage from the clinch and grapple. For Rashad to just try to wrestle Jones would have been suicide. He put Vera, Matyushenko, Bader, Bonnar, Shogun, Hammil and now Rashad on their backs from the clinch or grapple, he also submitted Machida from the clinch. Jones is not exactly somebody you want to grapple with. Rashads gameplan was to box Jones and catch him before any kind of serious TD attempt I think. He just couldnt do it, although he came close a couple of times. The head kick was nice and it could have ended the fight on a different night. Personally I think Rashad had a good gameplan and that was not to grapple for the most part. You could see 9 times out of 10 that Jones got the better of the grapple/clinch situation, landing more strikes and even getting the take down himself. Rashad did better than anyone else ever has so he did something right.

• AlphaOmega says:

I didn’t get to see the card, my friend and I are a little broke. But I’m glad Jones won, didn’t think it’d be by UD though.

• THEGUNNER says:

im hoping jones gets hendo next.

• MCM says:

I am, if nothing else, consistent. I called Hardy over GSP, Okami over Silva, Hamill over Rampage, and now Rashad over Jones. I’m just sorry I brought a few of you along with me.

As for this line LOGIC..”I think people let their hate or like of a fighter get the better of their judgment. They convince themselves of something that really isnt logical based on emotion. ”
    You’re absolutely right. That’s why we love sports. Tell a Cubs fan that they’ll never win the World Series, or a Buccaneers fan that they’ll never win the Superbowl or a Wanderlei Silva fan that he’ll never hold another belt, and you’ll get the same answer. “It could happen.”

• MCM says:

As for the rest of the card, if you didn’t buy it, you did good. Aside from Rothwell, I wasn’t impressed with any fight on the entire card. This was one that could have easily been read online.

• Mousasi vs Lyoto I’ll give you but Mo shouldnt get any better than Bader or someone else first. Mousasi has a worldwide name, Mo shouldnt get thrown to the lions so fast. Cavalcante would be better served to the Mauler…..I still feel Shogun is just a little out of his proven range. But I do agree the SF elite need to come over otherwise they’ll just fight each other till the end of time.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Not a bad card overall. Jones was slightly tentative but, understandable. Either way Rashad had nothing to offer all night. He got a few clean shots but, never had Jones in any danger.

He tried to be all cute juking around that one time and after eating a few more elbows that was it. After the 1st round Rashads eyes looked defeated and it got worse after each round.

Rashad is not much different than Rampage. He talked and talked and made all these grand guarantees of victory and domination and really couldn’t do much. He didn’t get finished but, that was less his skills and more Jones being a bit tentative and respecting Rashads right hand.