Rashad Evans says his performance “sucked” against Jon Jones

Rashad Evans was a guest on the post-fight show on Fuel TV following Saturday’s loss to Jon Jones in the main event of UFC 145 where he evaluated his output in the Octagon. Evans was handed just his second career loss in the bout with “Bones” defending his light heavyweight title by securing a decision victory. The stumble snapped a four-fight winning streak for Evans.

“It sucked,” said Evans of his performance. “I didn’t get the job done, but it’s a lesson and you lean. It’s the fight business and this is what happens sometimes. I just have to do what I do, to come back stronger and keep my head up.”

“Suga” and Jones were former teammates, and you could see the tension between the two before they locked up inside the Octagon. However, following a few tough elbows to the face, Evans never seemed the same with the change also influenced by a potential injury he said he suffered in the second also hampering his abilities.

“I hurt my foot in the second round, so that messed up my mobility a little bit,” explained Evans, saying he also made a mistake by allowing Jones’ “range and stuff like that” to throw him off. The injury occurred when Jones checked a leg kick and Evans’ foot smacked into the champ’s knee.

Check out the full interview below:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Getting injured whilst fighting becuz your opponent was good enough to check a kick is no excuse. Id like to see a rematch if Rashad gets by a couple of other guys in line.

• MickeyC says:

Evans looked the same as he did with Davis, like crap. some one should tell him that you cant keep using the “I had a bad fight” when you were less than impressive in multiple outings. He should face the fact that it may be how he fights now. flattttt. nice walk away strut too, ya that got you closer to the W. shit what a disapointment.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Waa! Waaa! Knew he would find some excuse for losing other than Jones was better in every aspect than me.

Rashad couldn’t juke and jive around, blow kisses and chicken strut and he didn’t know what to do, except eat about a dozen elbows to the grill.

All his trash talking got him nowhere except to the back of the line at 205.

• Angry Mike says:

Mack Danzig had monkey bump on his ankle that was the size of a tennis ball from Escudero’s attempted heel hook, and he sucked it up. Rashad’s real problem was his realization that his mind games hadn’t worked and Jones wasn’t intimidated. Rashad couldn’t overcome Jones’ reach advantage and lost the striking contest decisively.

• Screenplaya says:

So much hate for Rashad in the comments. He made no excuses. He lost, as he says, and he needs to get better.

I think the truth is that this is a matchup he can’t win, due to the size difference. We saw two great fighters this weekend, and the rangier guy won. Rashad has said in the past he can make 185, and I think he should definitely do that.

Hat’s off to Bones. He used his size and agility to keep the fight at his range. Rashad has fought plenty of larger dudes who were unable to acheive that against him.

• Paulo says:

I disagree with a lot of these comments. A lame excuse would be him saying something like he was injured before the fight so he couldn’t perform well. Saying you got injured during a fight isn’t an excuse. It’s a reason. I mean, if you lost a fight because a guy punched you so hard, he broke your jaw Then you say “yeah, I lost because I got my jaw broken in the 2nd round.”, I wouldn’t taken that as “just an excuse”. Evans said it himself when he said his performance “sucked”. I think he humbly took the loss, didn’t make excuses, and even told Rogan in the post-fight he will continue to train and evolve.