Alistair Overeem claims his doctor prescribed medication mixed with testosterone

Heavyweight Alistair Overeem has finally broken the silence regarding his recent failed drug test, explaining the origin of his extraordinarily high T/E ratio and, unfortunately, singing a tune far too familiar from those who have run into similar issues in the past. Also interesting, Overeem claimed he withdrew from his UFC 146 title-fight with Junior dos Santos this past Friday rather than being replaced against his will.

According to an apologetic Overeem, who denied any willful wrongdoing, the level of testosterone in his system was not related to TRT as some had speculated but rather a different doctor-prescribed substance.

“I cannot express how sorry I am to the Commission, Junior Dos Santos, the fans, the owners and employees of the UFC, my friends and family and anyone else who this has affected,” wrote Overeem in an official press release from his management team. “I absolutely do not believe in, nor do I use performance-enhancing drugs. I am a clean fighter and I will do whatever it takes to prove this to everyone.”

“Prior to the UFC 146 press conference in March, I aggravated an old rib injury on my left side. My doctor prescribed, and I accepted, an anti-inflammatory medication that was mixed with testosterone. I was completely unaware that testosterone was one of the ingredients in the medication. Although I was unaware, I do realize it is my job to know what I am putting into my body,” revealed the “deeply saddened” Dutchman.

In closing Overeem asked for the public’s patience and support, stating he respected the NSAC and looked forward to working with them to resolve the issue.

The complete statement from Overeem can be found below:

“To my friends and fans,

I am deeply saddened to announce that on Friday, April 20, I respectfully withdrew from the May 26 event so that I can request a continuance until my situation with the Nevada State Athletic Commission is resolved.

I cannot express how sorry I am to the Commission, Junior Dos Santos, the fans, the owners and employees of the UFC, my friends and family and anyone else who this has affected.

Prior to the UFC 146 press conference in March, I aggravated an old rib injury on my left side. My doctor prescribed, and I accepted, an anti-inflammatory medication that was mixed with testosterone. I was completely unaware that testosterone was one of the ingredients in the medication. Although I was unaware, I do realize it is my job to know what I am putting into my body.

I respect the Nevada Commissioners and Executive Director Keith Kizer and what they are doing to keep the sport of mixed martial arts regulated and safe for athletes. I look forward to working with them in the days and weeks ahead.

Friends and fans, I ask for your patience as I work through this matter. Please support me. I promise to return to the Octagon soon.”

PHOTO CREDIT – K-1/STRIKEFORCE

• darth_irritable says:

Must be a hell of an anti-inflammatory. That said, even ibuprofen and diclofenac can mess with T/E ratios:

• fanoftna33 says:

I think if this was really a issue he would have been screaming it from the rooftops the second the positive test came back, as almost anybody would.

• fitfreak says:

A doctor prescribes meds with anabolic steroids in it to a professional athlete and fails to mention it? So Weak.

He’ll be suspended either way.

• fitfreak says:

I agree. His team had to take the time to research the best possible excuse. Or maybe it just took them this long to realize his doc was prescribing meds that include AAS.

• darth_irritable says:

Should be easy enough to prove if accurate. EMEA has pretty tight laws on health care documentation.

• MCM says:

WTF is wrong with Overeems doctors? This is the 2nd time in a row he has blamed his doctors for an issue pertaining to his proper testing for PED’s.
    Here’s the deal AO. If you doctor doesn’t understand how to submit proper samples for testing or doesn’t understand that you’re a professional fucking athlete that can’t be prescribed testosterone, get a new Doctor!
    Either that, or quite taking PED’s.

• G-DUB says:

Time and more information will bring to light if this “explanation” holds water. Personally, it’s the timing that has me inclined to believe that this is a BS excuse. Too much time has passed in silence to make this believable. The Overeem camp had way too much time to research the most plausible explanation and get a yes-man doctor to corroborate the story. Either way, he should be suspended appropriately.

If this is the truth then why not present the Rx script and all the chemical info. on the contents and a doctor statement right away before the commision and request that they do the sample B testing which is even more conclusive and ask that they keep in mind the contents and either hope for redemption or take your suspension atleast with the public knowing it was an Rx error and your not doping…

Between his last stunt of leaving the country on short notice and submitting to testing late and this latest snafu he is already guilty in the court of public opinion and these days that’s enough to do career damage.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I’m tired of hearing about who is or isn’t using PEDs. Legalize and regulate everything. People do things to gain an advantage all the time.

Some think everyone does them and only stupid people get caught, others think only a few do them and even fewer get caught. If there was more testing and legalization for all these substances along with education on benefits and potential side effects things would be better.

Let people make educated decisions as what to put into your body and when. I know people take the moral high ground and say its drugs and must be bad but, if everyone legally had the same opportunities then the competition would still be fair.

Some fat couch potato still couldn’t pump himself full of chemicals and go compete at the highest levels of competition. You still have to train and work your ass off, the PEDs just help you recover more quickly and allow you to gain more results for your hard work.

• AlphaOmega says:

Mad_Hatter my friend is a big fan of that idea for a policy, my argument is that while it would even the playing field, there would still be a group of people who would make it very public knowledge that they weren’t using anything and were still able to do as good if not better then the people that were. And then the public would be in an uproar again over it.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

While there may be a group of athletes who will not use any kind of chemical, with proper understanding and regulation that would be their decision to make.

I just think all cards and information should be available instead of people having to go to people who may not be qualified to sell these substances. There will always be dissenting opinions, if things are legal and benefits and risks are known then those who choose not to use chemicals will be doing so with all knowledge available. No different than those who choose to not drink liquor.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

GUILTY!

• elsicilian says:

@Mad_Hatter – I actually agree with you. The differences between PED’s and legal supplements are already pretty arbitrary. More importantly, the dark cloud of suspicion which results from laughably ineffective efforts to police PED’s is a blight on every sport.

I understand concerns about potential health risks, but it’s not like plenty of athletes aren’t already putting themselves at even more risk by obtaining and using PED’s illegally. Furthermore, many aspects of professional sports are unhealthy (the average lifespan of an NFL player is 58 years, almost 20 years less than that of the average American).

Such objections to PED’s are somewhat hypocritical, and they have more to do with our culture’s larger anti-drug obsession (which is itself pretty hypocritical) than any legitimate concerns about the purity of competition or the safety of athletes.