Cain Velasquez now fighting Antonio Silva following change in UFC 146 headliner

After recently announcing Frank Mir would serve as Alistair Overeem‘s replacement at UFC 146, UFC President Dana White has since decided on a new opponent for Mir’s originally scheduled adversary, Cain Velasquez. According to White, the former heavyweight champion will see action against Antonio Silva in the card’s co-headliner.

“Don’t believe any of the BS you read on the internet,” wrote White on Twitter. “Cain is fighting Bigfoot Silva May 26th in Vegas.”

Velasquez has not competed since losing the title to Junior dos Santos last year. Meanwhile, the 16-3 Silva will be making his UFC debut after Zuffa’s decision to dissolve Strikeforce‘s heavyweight division.

While Silva-Velasquez may clear up one problem it creates another as the Brazilian’s original opponent, Roy Nelson, has now been left without a foe to face on the all-heavyweight PPV.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC/STRIKEFORCE

• Screenplaya says:

Give Ben Rothwell a call, he only got hit once this weekend, maybe he can be ready for Roy.

I think the fans would love to see that fight.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

At least they have nearly 5 weeks to adjust. Interesting fight. Big Foot is a big man and Valasquez is coming off a loss. I will pick Cain but Silva is no joke. This makes more sense than vs Nelson, Nelson should be fighting Meathead or Barry. Surely with 4 losses from his last 5 if he loses his next fight would be enough to send Nelson off to Russia to fight Thompson.

• sdouglasmc says:

I know the possibility of it happening is slim to none but this would be the perfect time for the UFC to bring in Fedor to fight Roy Nelson.

Is this still a #1 contender fight?

• Brendhan Conlan says:

For Cain, yes. For Silva, let’s hope not.

yeah that’s what I’m saying…

• MCM says:

Why should Cain get a #1 contender fight after having just lost? I like the fight with Silva, rankings wise, better than the other options people have been throwing out. I think Cain is gonna win, and I think he should have to fight atleast once more before getting another crack at the title. (call me crazy, but fighters should have to be on winning streaks, IMO)
    This also leaves the door open for Werdum to come in and challenge if Cain loses. I still think Werdum beat Overeem and the rematch between him and JDS is a good angle to sell tickets.

As for my boy Roy. I wouldn’t mind any of the opponents ya’ll have thrown out, but I think the rematch between Big Ben and Big Country is my favorite.

• fanoftna33 says:

I like Silva here, Bigfoot has a WAY better submission game and I am sure he will be able to keep Cain at bay with his striking, second round submission.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

Bigfoot is tough but, in his last fight once he got tagged on his chin he went down like a ton of bricks. That chin is hard to miss and Cain packs a big punch.

This is a good fight to see where both guys fit in the larger HW picture. If either man has an impressive victory, momentum could carry them into a title fight.

Hopefully UFC brings Barnett and Cormier over after their match to provide a bit of depth because top of HW division a bit thin.

• fanoftna33 says:

True Hatter, and I am not forgetting how Mike Kyle dropped him either, I am just thinking he has to have made some adjustments and will play to his grappling strengths this fight.
    I think win or lose Cormier is going to be in the UFC, but it seems like Barnette is still about 50/50

• AlphaOmega says:

I was super glad when they announced Big Foot came to the UFC and was fighting, I always wanted him to. I think this fight could be a good ground war. I also agree with MCM that Cain should have to win 2 to get a shot. I mentioned it elsewhere a while back about Barnett, and I think the UFC signs him if he puts cormier away in convincing fashion, if he doesn’t, then they will probably find an excuse to not sign him.

• Richard Stabone says:

I still believe Cain is the best HW in the world. Leading up to the JDS fight, Cain was facing more than a year layoff, coming off shoulder surgery, and weighed in for the JDS fight 10 lbs heavier than usual… with Rogan saying afterwards that Cain had a cortisone shot in his knee. And he got caught with a punch behind the ear.

JDS is the champ, having won the belt decisively. But I think Cain will win the rematch after he takes care of Big Foot and JDS hands Mir his 3rd straight loss in a title bout.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Dont see why with a win over 2 top 5 fighters in his last 4 fights including Fedor and Valasquez why Silva shouldnt get a shot and Cain should if he wins. Makes 0 sense to me. Imo Fedor and Cain is more of a justification than Lesnar and Nog considering .

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Or is a UFC non UFC thing?

• AlphaOmega says:

Big country vs Gonzaga

• Cuz Fedor hasnt been a top ten fighter since he hasnt fought a top ten fighter(and No I dont care what Rankings say Brett Rogers has NEVER been a top anything fighter, beating Arlovski doesnt get you there.) in about 5 years. Once he started fighting good heavyweights again he started losing.

Now onto the point at hand, I think this is feeding Silva to the wolves. Cormier is a smaller less strong version of Cain, and now Big foot gets the bigger stronger faster more experienced version of the guy who just put him to sleep?
    I call Shennanigans, this should’ve been werdum here, thats alot more interesting of a match.