Roy Nelson set to tangle with Gabriel Gonzaga at UFC 146

Fans can only hope that things are finally set for May 26 and UFC 146, as Gabriel Gonzaga has been placed in a match with Roy Nelson.

The constant shuffling of the all-heavyweight main card started with Alistair Overeem being removed from the main event with Junior dos Santos. Frank Mir was then tabbed to replace Overeem and fight for the UFC heavyweight title leaving Cain Velasquez without an opponent. Antonio Silva quickly stepped in for Mir, but in full-on domino fashion that left a hole opposite Nelson.

Finally, earlier today, UFC President Dana White sent out a message via Twitter confirming Gonzaga (13-6) will be the one to replace Silva and meet the Ultimate Fighter winner Nelson (16-7).

Gonzaga returned to the UFC after just over a year away, defeating Edinaldo Oliveira earlier this year. “Napao” scored a first round submission victory over the training partner of Dos Santos. Comparably, Nelson is in a 1-3 slump over his past four fights, including losses against Fabricio Werdum and Mir, but has entertained throughout and is a tough draw for any adversary.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• trupert says:

So then who fights Shane Del Rosario at UFC146? Miocic, Rothwell, Browne or someone else like Kongo or Mitrione?

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I think Nelson actually may be able to beat Gonzaga becuz Gonzaga seems to have a corner that has the worst gameplans ever.
    Gonzaga grapple damn you. Sure the head kick vs Crocop was special but how many fights oending in you getting your lights turned out do you need before you grasp that you should be mixing it up a bit more.
    Could go either way and either way I dont care…unless Gonzaga ….no I dont care.

• joe mo mma says:

I was really hoping to see del Rosario on this card. Ive only seen one or two fights but this guy is lethal. there are plenty of guys he can fight….dave herman, mike russow, travis browne, matt mitrione, etc..

• MickeyC says:

Nelson/Rothwell would have been a cool IFL throwback.

• MCM says:

I would have loved a Big Ben / Big Country reunion, but I like this fight too.
    Roy might be able to pull out the KO here, but Gonzaga is a lot tougher than people give him credit for and he hits almost as hard. I’m hoping we get to see a crazy brawling match in the first before these two realize they are some of the best BJJ practitioners in the world and take it to the ground.

• Lord Faust says:

Gonzaga needs to forget trying to be a striker; work on his defence on the feet and his wrestling, because on the ground he’s a scary bastard.

I am actually looking forward to this fight. It’s more appealing than Nelson acting as a speed bag for someone as has become a disturbing trend.

• Dufresne says:

I’m actually a big fan of this matchup. The fight doesn’t have a huge amount of impact on the HW division, but it should be a fun fight to watch nonetheless. I think Roy has a slight advantage on the feet, but I think Gonzaga has an advantage on the ground. As long as he does like Logic says and f-ing GRAPPLES!