Stephan Bonnar wants to fight Forrest Griffin again after coaching stint on TUF

Without question the sport of MMA would not be where it is today without the performance of light heavyweights Stephan Bonnar and Forrest Griffin in their historic meeting at the first Ultimate Fighter Finale. The two brawled for fifteen solid minutes, opening the eyes of casual fans who were quickly captivated by the heart and technique displayed by both.

Bonnar and Griffin went at it again inside the Octagon a little over a year later and also turned in an entertaining effort but have since gone their separate ways inside the organization. However, Bonnar is hoping for one last go at Griffin given the six-year span since their last bout and fan-friendly nature of the pairing. Were that not enough, he’s also lobbying for the fight to come after serving as opposing coaches on TUF and is willing to make some special exceptions to help facilitate the process.

“I would like to fight Forrest again, and if they were kind enough to make us coaches then in the contract I would sign right there that I will A.) Not go for any takedowns, B.) Not block any punches, and C.) Always move forward,” Bonnar half-joked as a guest this week on HDNet’s Inside MMA.

Griffin is currently scheduled to face Tito Ortiz in July, while Bonnar’s schedule is clear at the moment with his last fight marking the third in a series of wins, coming in November against Kyle Kingsbury.

Check out Bonnar’s bit below including his thoughts on Alistair Overeem’s explanation for testosterone use:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• trupert says:

I don’t see why not, but only good if Griffin beats Ortiz and Bonnar beats someone like Nedkov. This way they would be coming in after a win to add to the marketability. Good luck!

• moosebaby02 says:

i say why not. it will be a funny tuff thats for sure the way those two are

why not and they both would be fun to watch on TUF…

speaking of TUF I couldn’t tell you the last time I even DVR’d it let alone watched it…. the Fri. night switch totally took my interest away… funny thing is I actually like Faber and totally dislike Cruz you would think I would invest time in watching but nope i just never got into it… maybe it’s just me.

• AlphaOmega says:

They’d be funny on TUF, but does the UFC want them to do it since there’s no bad blood there, so they can’t market the whole drama thing

I think they would have better chemistry on screen as buddy’s whom are willing to kick each others ass in a few months but have fun and bust on the TUF contestants until fight night approaches… the coaches challenges would be more funny.

• MCM says:

Agree with Rece. They could sell the fight on TUF history alone.
    And getting two well known fighters as coaches as opposed to one semi known fighter and one guy most people have never heard of (sorry Cruz), would go along way toward getting viewers back into the show.

• Dufresne says:

You know what I’d like to see these two do? Coach a season of TUF that features nothing but past contestants from the show. Kind of like the 4th season when they did “The Comeback”. I don’t know if they’d be able to get enough fighters from one weight class or not, but I’d love it if they could.