Chuck Liddell: “I don’t want to come back as a sideshow.”

One of the names that will always be synonymous with MMA is undoubtedly Chuck Liddell. The former UFC light heavyweight champ is as iconic as they come in the sport based on his heavy-handed style and unique look. However, while Liddell may be associated with the Octagon as long as the UFC is around, he’ll likely never set foot inside the infamous eight-sided structure again.

Liddell was asked about his retirement by Fuel TV last weekend after UFC 145 and “The Iceman” clearly seemed content in his current life, welcoming a new daughter recently while keeping his eye on things as both a fan and Zuffa executive.

“It was a hard decision to make…to retire…but it came down to…it wasn’t that I couldn’t compete with guys. I had two problems. I can’t quite take a punch like I used to and I didn’t want to change my style. I mean I could. I could start wrestling and trying to control (opponents), take less chances, but then I still got the chance of getting hit hard,” said Liddell on the subject. “I wanted to go out fighting the way I like to fight – exciting and fun.”

“The only thing that would even make me think about coming back is if they gave me a shot at the title,” he playfully continued before adding a serious note, stating, “I don’t want to come back as a sideshow.”

The 42-year old Liddell lost five of his last six fights including four by way of knockout. However, despite his slide, throughout the bulk of his career he was one of the most feared competitors in the game, holding an overall record of 21-8 with thirteen strike-based stoppages and wins over Tito Ortiz, Wanderlei Silva, and Randy Couture.

Watch the full interview below where he also offers up his assessment on current 205-pound champion Jon Jones:

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

This isn’t really a story. He was pressed for an answer and gave one. Zero chance he sniffs anything close to a title shot. He should be happy with his legacy of being one tough SOB and let us forget his last couple fights.

• Lord Faust says:

He found a pretty subtle way of saying “I will never be back”.

• Good. I couldn’t bear to watch the Iceman go the way of Ken shamrock

Hey Ice man gets a nice check and gets to still be balls deep in the sport he loves and doesn’t have to become another Gary Goodridge to keep his head above water…

I think any smart fighter if given that golden opportunity when retirement comes around would choose to work in the business of fighting instead of being a fighter…unfortunately most of the greats that we love from yester year don’t have that opportunity and have suffered or are suffering to stay relevant and out of debt.

• AlphaOmega says:

I like the fact that he basically point blank said that everyone knows his style and how to counter him, and that his chin is suspect anymore. A lot of fighters who fade and keep trying won’t admit that there’s a problem with how they fight, and they keep losing and fading even more.

• Lord Faust says:

Chuck’s awesome. Honest about his limitations and chin, sounds so much clearer when he talks. I don’t know the guy, never met him, but I wish him well.

I doubt the Zuffa job is a token either; I am pretty sure Chuck has a master’s degree in business.

• Screenplaya says:

Too bad the video can’t be seen from here in Canada. I guess I will look for it elsewhere.

For my money, Chuck is the greatest champ in UFC history to this point. I am very glad to hear he is not thinking of coming back.