Frank Mir expected Alistair Overeem’s spot at UFC 146

Former UFC heavyweight champ Frank Mir jumped at the opportunity presented to him when Alistair Overeem was removed from the main event at UFC 146. Now, Mir will seek the place the gold belt back around his waist again when he squares off with Junior dos Santos at the May 26 show.

Overeem’s troubles with a failed drug test pushed the UFC to make a decision on the fight even before he was denied his license on Tuesday. Mir was installed as the next contender, being moved out of a planned #1 contender match with Cain Velasquez.

“I just kind of did the math in my own mind,” said Mir, during a recent appearance on The MMA Hour. “My team around me, we all pretty much felt that if dos Santos were to stay on the card, and Overeem was not able to challenge for the title, then I was the most logical person to step in.”

Mir added that he never stopped training for Velasquez but Dos Santos remained in the back of his mind.

Mir has won four of his last five fights, including wins over Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Roy Nelson, and Mirko Filipovic. Mir broke the arm of Nogueira who is the mentor and a training partner of Dos Santos.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Lord Faust says:

If Mir takes this fight, which I think would be a big upset, then he’s got to be a Hall of Famer in the making. As it stands, he’s had a pretty good career. Aside from being bashed by the two biggest barbarians in the division, Mir’s accomplished a lot — even if you ignore coming back from that horrific accident.

• Yourdaddydevilandlord says:

If Mir wins I give it less then a week before Lesnar calls him out, hahaha!!! The sad part is you know Mir AND Dana will be down!!

• Lord Faust says:

Sadly, I don’t think Lesnar could beat anyone anymore. We’ll never know the details but diverticulitis ended his career; just a gut feeling. (Sorry.)

Mir’s been a mixed bag for me. For no reason at all I just figured he was a douche, then he came back from his accident and looked bad. Real bad. I figured he was going to be a depressing crash and burn story. I started to like him more when he got the commentary spots; he wasn’t perfect, but I realised he was actually an articulate person and quite intelligent. Since then I’ve had no choice but to like the guy; he had one stinker with Cro Cop but otherwise Mir always brings it. Even when he gets Donkey Kong’ed, the fight itself is entertaining.

Plus you can’t deny a man who KO’ed and submitted a guy who was legendary for not being finished. I <3 Big Nog, but have to respect Mir for putting him down in decisive fashion — twice, no less.

• darth_irritable says:

I used to think Mir was a douche, but a buddy of mine met him and said he’s a great guy, but was obsessed with Lesnar.

To put the boot in on Overeem, I would LOVE to see Mir rock up sponsored by AndroGel 1.62%.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

I am pulling for Mir but this is the worst type of match up I can think of for Mir. A guy who doesnt kick, is a heavy handed boxer with more skill in that department than most and a guy who can avoid takedowns pretty well. Kind of a bigger, better (sorry Chuck) Liddell.
    I would love for him to get an armbar or triangle to win this though.

• moosebaby02 says:

Faust im with you. just couldnt sand the guy. still kinda dont but he has made see him in a whole different light once he is not talking about Brock.
    Dos will win this one. Logic is right this not a good match up for Mir but it wouldnt surpeise me if he pulled out a ko or sub for the win but it wont go the distance. i think the longer if goes advantage Dos

• sdouglasmc says:

As long as MIr avoids fighting with his back against the cage I think he has a real chance. Brock and Carwin were able to press him and hold him against the cage. He couldn’t do a thing but take punishment. I don’t see dos Santos using that game plan. I like Mir in this one.

• Logic has a.great point but I also agree that if Frank sticks and moves he can win
    He’s quick.has slick kicks and if Jr doesn’t put him away with one punch he has to play with fire on the ground. Very interesting match up. On the other point Mir should get back to commentary when he’s retired. He’s better than florian Mauro anek and shamrock combined

Mir by sub. Fuck it.

• AlphaOmega says:

I say JDS by decision

• MCM says:

JDS by TKO
    Frank gets hit too much IMO, and JDS hits hard. I liked Mir’s changes against Cain much better than I do against Junior. I see this fight going down like the first minute of the Big Nog fight, but with JDS getting the TKO.