UFC on FOX: Diaz vs. Miller Real Time Conference Call Highlights

The UFC is set to return to network television in a little more than a week with a fantastic card featuring a pair of contender-laden co-headliners in addition to a handful of other fan-friendly matches.

At the top of lineup is a bout between lightweights Nate Diaz and Jim Miller who will be battling it out for a title-shot, each an accomplished grappler with wins over a number of respected 155-pound peers. Before Miller-Diaz mix it up, top welterweights Josh Koscheck and Johny Hendricks will throw down with the winner likely moving a single victory away from earning a championship opportunity of his own.

Other scheduled scraps for the May 5 show include those between Alan Belcher-Rousimar Palhares and Pat Barry-Lavar Johnson.

Before taking to the Octagon a week from Saturday night, the quartet of co-headlining competitors will dial in to discuss their upcoming fights during a conference call with media starting today at 1:30 PM EST. As usual, Five Ounces of Pain will be listening in and reporting live results back to readers as they unfold from the line.

Read below for a breakdown of soundbytes/highlights:

Josh Koscheck

– Knows there is a lot on the line in their fight and acknowledges the contendership implications / “I’m ready to roll.”
– Brought in a number of new training partners now that he’s left AKA, says the focus has been 100% on him and that it’s been one of the best camps he’s had in a long time
– Doesn’t care where the fight takes place, just knows he’ll win
– Feels having former fighters as judges is good for MMA

Johny Hendricks

– Is excited by facing someone with Koscheck’s credentials and the challenge he presents
– Doesn’t take Koscheck’s trashtalk personally / Laughs off being labeled as “fat” and says he IS fat when he isn’t training based on his love of Taco Bell and other junk food
– Feels their fight is going to be fun to watch and not just “a boring wrestling match”
– Glows about having had a role at a recent NASCAR race as a fan of the sport
– Likes that Ricardo Almeida is going to be a judge in their fight based on the experience he brings with him

Jim Miller

– Doesn’t really care that the fight is in his hometown-area though says it is nice to not have to deal with the travel
– Credits Diaz as being tough and is fired up at the thought of trying to beat him
– Says he’s trained harder than he ever has before in his career and feels better than ever
– Prepared for a five-round fight but will be looking for a finish / “That’s what drives everybody that steps in there. They want to hear the roar of the crowd when they finish somebody.”
– Planning to fight his fight and not be baited into Diaz’s game
– Updates fans on nephew’s health and says he’s doing well but still waiting on transplant, expects it this summer

Nate Diaz

– “I just train. I train hard. I’m just going out there to win.”
– Was told he would receive a title-shot if he beats Miller
– Didn’t feel he was fighting big enough names at welterweight and wanted to come back at 155 to fight higher-touted competitors
– Mentions training with Josh Neer to help prepare for Miller

General Information:

– UFC rep Ryan Grab says Miller-Diaz is no longer confirmed as a #1 contender’s fight but the winner will definitely be “in the mix”

• THEGUNNER says:

Diaz should get a title shot if.he wins so should miller. Lettin edgar step in front of these guys for a rematch is bull shit. I say give one of these guys a title shot an have petis and frankie fight for next shot.

• fitfreak says:

Ah, the dreaded “in the mix”. I like your idea much better Gunner.

Didn’t feel he was fighting big enough names at welterweight- Nate Diaz

Those multiple suplexes must have rocked you brain hard enough to forget the name Rory MacDonald.

“when he isn’t training based on his love of Taco Bell …”

I haven’t had Taco Bell in like 10 years but recently I saw an ad for a Taco with a Doritos shell and convinced myself I must try this creation even if what’s inside the shell is the equivilent of dog food.

• MCM says:

Don’t do it Rece! If the rest of the world wants to know why Americans are fat…there’s the answer. I haven’t tried one, but I’m told by those that have that it’s just a regular taco with that Dorito crap sprayed on it.

And if Diaz wanted to fight bigger names, he should have won his fights against lesser named guys.
    Miller takes this one based on the Diaz brothers never being able to compete with quality wrestlers.

• Lord Faust says:

Rece – stay strong. That stuff is vile, vile stuff. You would be doing well to get meat that meats the standards for dog food. Instead you can look forward to rehydrated shreds of something that was part of a cow at one point, long long ago.

I’m no food elitist; I eat a lot of “unhealthy” stuff but I make it myself and will pay a princely sum for a pizza that while laden with heart-stopping amounts of cheese is made with real ingredients right in front of me.

As for Diaz; I think his comment still stands. Rory is still making a name, despite what the UFC hype machine wants us to believe. Rory’s been rocked in a couple of fights; he’s not unbeatable but he is damn impressive and appears to be on track to do some great things. But c’mon, when he fought Nate neither of them were much to brag about.

How things change — and for the better!

• Angry Mike says:

Have you guys learned nothing? The key to lean muscle mass is horse meat.

• Lord Faust says:

You can’t stop there. You need to know Hu Jintao’s favourite white wine.

• Angry Mike says:

Is it “I want to go to Hawaii?”

• AlphaOmega says:

I had the Dorito Dos Taco..I thought it sucked personally. My friends all love em though soo. Now I should probably comment on the actual article huh? Did Miller’s comment about not carrying about fighting in his home town rub anyone the wrong way a little?