UFC official pushing for Jon Jones-Dan Henderson to take place at UFC 149

When Jose Aldo was removed from the UFC‘s July card in Canada, UFC President Dana White mentioned the possibility of Jon Jones defending his light heavyweight title against Dan Henderson as a replacement. While Jones is recently-removed from a five-round fight with Rashad Evans, he has mentioned wanting to fight four times this year and certainly didn’t absorb a ton of damage against Evans.

While nothing is official, UFC Director of Operations in Canada Tom Wright would be more than happy to have his country host Jones-Henderson.

“I would love to see that fight happen,” said Wright in a recent interview with the Toronto Sun. “Having Jon Jones defend his championship in Calgary against Dan Henderson – that would be a monster fight. It demonstrates we have an understanding and a respect for how knowledgeable the fight fans are in Alberta, and how important this market is for our business.”

Henderson earned his shot at the belt by defeating Mauricio “Shogun” Rua last year in addition to being the Strikeforce 205-pound champ prior to re-joining the UFC. “Hendo” has been out of action since his November meeting with Rua, patiently waiting for his championship opportunity.

If the bout materializes it will mark Jones’ second visit to Canada as champ since winning the belt. “Bones” defended the title last year in Toronto, choking out Lyoto Machida with a memorable Standing Guillotine Choke at UFC 140.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MCM says:

yep. Pull Aldo/Koch and move them to Brazil and put Jones/Hendo in for 149. Makes perfect sense to me.
    I know Hendo has a ton of fans on this site, but I honestly see him as a slower version of Rashad. Yes, he’s always got that overhand right, but I think Jones avoids that pretty easily enroute to a UD.

Yes I’m a fan of Hendo but i already said he isn’t the guy to do it, but should make for an interesting fight.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I think Jones will just frustrate Hendo from the outside very similar to how he handled Evans. Jones has the talent to finish Hendo but, I’m not sure Hendo will let himself stay in trouble long enough to get finished.

Still don’t see Hendo being able to sustain enough offense to win. Jones will change angles and vary his attacks enough for an obvious UD tho I would love to see him finish Hendo.

The level of competition Hendo faced in SF leaves me doubting if he has enough left to really challenge Jones.

• THEGUNNER says:

If bones beats hendo whos next? This guys cleaning out the division.like or dislike jones is gonna be a legend if he fights and wins 4 times this year.

• MCM says:

I honestly thought Rashad was gonna be the guy to beat him. Outside of Evens, I don’t think anyone in the division (as it stands today) has the goods to take Jones out. That includes Gustafasson.
    I still think the guy is an arrogant prick and I’ll never route for him. But just like GSP, he’s 5 years ahead of the competition and it’s gonna be awhile before he gets a real challenge.

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

UFC needs to give Gustafson another fight around the same time Hendo and Jones fight so he will be ready to fight Jones if/when he gets past Hendo.

Don’t think he beats Jones but, need to give him a fight with someone in top 10 and then the hype for him to fight Jones will seem more plausible.

If Jones has 2 more successful title defenses this year I’m not sure who they have him fight moving into next year. Not counting rematches there would be very few legit contenders available. Maybe Forrest Griffin but, judging by his previous comments on Jones I doubt he wants much to do with that fight.

• Lord Faust says:

Bones beat my guy (Machida) and MCM’s (Rashad). As much as it would make for a story deserving of the word “epic”, it’s a long shot. That 13.5″ reach advantage is one of the more obvious advantages Jones has. I am still excited to see it, but I’m done rooting against Jones, similar to how after Anderson Silva put down Franklin the second time (with such ease) that I said “fine, fuck it, he’s the real deal”. (I picked Silva to win the rematch but I convinced myself Rich was going to put up more of a fight.)

Gustafsson needs more time. Throwing him in there with Bones will just hurt him and possibly undermine a young fighter’s confidence. I know they will be strapped for contenders soon, but Jones has also been fighting a lot more often than most champs. Gustafsson needs another two fights before he challenges for the title, IMHO. He also needs to work on his defence; while they were busy saying he was just like Jones, I saw more Chuck Liddell — a guy taking shots just to land them.

• MCM says:

Agree with Faust and Hatter about Gustafsson. He needs two fights, and IMO two big finishes, before he’s ready for Jones.
    But after Hendo and possibly Gustafsson who else is there? Davis still needs time to develop. King Mo has been calling out Jones, and even though he’ll be in the UFC soon, he’s no where near ranked or ready for the #1 LHW. Rematches with Shogun, Machida, and Evens all seem pointless. So who’s left?
    I think by the end of the year Jones is either going to be taking fights at HW or he’s gonna have to face the MW champ, Chael Sonnen.

• MCM says:

Wow. Going through everything just made me realize how thin the LHW division is. Aging top with very little prospects coming up.

• AlphaOmega says:

Maybe they can sign some people from SF over in LHW, not that I think any of them have a chance, or deserve a shot instantly, but it’d at least be an option.

• Lord Faust says:

Haha, I had the same reaction when I was thinking about my post on the way to the liquor store. Reigning champions are such a rarity that when a guy defends his belt for 2-3 fights, suddenly a deep division looks mighty thin.

They definitely need to sign some new talent, not that I have any bright ideas. (Strikeforce, again, hinders things.)

Barring a surprise challenger emerging from the woodwork, the best Joe Silva can hope for is: Hendo winning, or Shogun or Machida turn some serious heads in their next fight — something absurd, where the prospect of a rematch isn’t reminiscent of when Kos fought GSP the second time.

• Lord Faust says:

The only other option I can think of, and I think it’s a bad one, is Jones taking a page from Anderson and fighting up a weight-class against a bottom wrung guy. There’s a lot of reasons that is a bad idea, but say Pat Barry loses his next fight, and Jones beats Hendo… If things get that desperate, can you honestly say that’s much worse than Silva -vs- The Sandman?

• MCM says:

Jones against Pat Barry is ridiculous. Jones against Kongo or Gonzaga, not so much. At least as filler fights go.

As for the GSP comparison, I wouldn’t mind rematches so much if Jones had 6 fights in between like he did with Kos or B.J., but that means we’ll have to sit through Jones fighting his Dan Hardy of the division (Luiz Cain?). But like I said, he’s just years ahead, which is why he’ll need to fight outside his weight class, or bring in a big MW (GSP/BJ).

• Lord Faust says:

Like I said, it’s a horrible idea. Barry was a bad choice too, as I forgot what his record was. :S

You make good points. LHW is awkward, to say the least.