Brian Stann welcoming Hector Lombard to the Octagon in August

Middleweight Hector Lombard will start out swimming in the deep end of the UFC’s middleweight pool when he makes his debut under the organization’s banner in August, taking on 185-pound contender Brian Stann in featured action at UFC on FOX 4. Then again, considering the 34-year old’s dominance in the ring, Lombard abandoned the need for professional floaties a long time ago.

News of their August 4 bout has been confirmed by the UFC.

Lombard, also the former/reigning Bellator middleweight champ, has won 24 of his last 25 fights with the lone exception being a Draw in 2007. Equally impressive, he holds an overall record of 31-2-1, stopping 24 of the opponents he’s beaten including his last four.

While Stann’s success may not be as impressive on the surface, the heavy-handed veteran is certainly a threat to end Lombard’s twenty-fight winning streak, going 4-1 since dropping to middleweight with success against a handful of apt adversaries such as Chris Leben, Jorge Santiago, and most recently Alessio Sakara.

UFC on FOX 4 is scheduled for Los Angeles with the only other announced match-up involving a lightweight tilt between Joe Lauzon and Terry Etim.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Wow! Didnt see this coming, Stanns no joke. Looks like they are thinking a couple then title shot. Stann, Bisping then the champ Sonnen? ; )

Let emm BANG!

• AlphaOmega says:

I thought Bisping and Munoz were set to square off soon, or was that just speculation?

• MCM says:

I like Stann (how can you not?), but I think this is a bad match up for him. I’m not saying he doesn’t have a chance but I see this one going a lot like the Sonnen fight. Lombard is an Olympic level Judoka, and although we don’t see it much, I don’t doubt he’s go the skills to slap on a sub or two. Again, I’m not discounting Stann, he can put anyones lights out at anytime, I just think he loses this one. But it’s gonna be fun for as long as it lasts.

• fitfreak says:

Interesting fight. Will Stann try to win this fight standing? You know that’s what Lombard wants.

• MickeyC says:

One things PROBABLY for sure. if Stann wins, he’ll get the title shot he wants.

• JabCrossHook says:

I think that Hector’s key to success is to always mix it up. He’s been ignoring his judo lately in favor of striking and his judo TDs will allow him to land strikes on a technically superior striker. That being said he’s too short and predictable to do anything standing against Anderson. I even think Vitor is a bad match up for Hector, those straight shots coupled with height and reach advantage could keep Hector’s striking at bay.

• Lord Faust says:

Potential for KOTN or FOTN here. I’m sold.

• fanoftna33 says:

Alpha Omega, Bisping is fighting Tim Boestch next. As for Stann vs Lombard this is a great fight for everybody. If Stann wins the UFC can say that a solid UFC MW fighter beats Bellatoe champ, but if Hector wins he still has at least 1 more fight then a title shot, but he proves he belongs with the top guys. Awesome matchmaking. I think Stann loses here but it should be very exciting.

• Richard Stabone says:

I’m with MCM on this one. Like everyone else, I think Stann is a rad dude. But I also recognize he’s a fairly overrated fighter and I don’t like his chances against Lombard. Should be more entertaining than his defeat at the hands of Chael though.

Lombard vs. Vitor would be outstanding.

• Lord Faust says:

I think Lombard’s only weakness is his reach. Either way, I think he’s got the edge over Stann but I think the fight will be more competitive than many think.

• Angry Mike says:

This is the fight I wanted, and it’s free. Outstanding.

• Sweet….I’ll bet we’ll see Hectors grappling on display here….otherwise I like Stann in this fight. I think Hector tries to stand and gets cracked….KO by stann

• Dufresne says:

If this fight stays standing, I’m calling this fight a coin toss. If Lombard remembers he’s got great judo, it could get ugly for Stann. I’ll never count Stann out of a fight, but he better hope Hector wants to bang.

i think Stanns power is a bit overestimated… i recall him not finishing an opponent that was stunned more then once

• Dufresne says:

He isn’t the hardest puncher in the world, but I’d say he’s in the top 5 in the MW division. I think Leben has heavier hands, but Stann makes up for it by knowing when to throw knees and with his overall better accuracy. He doesn’t just wing haymakers, he has nice short hooks, uppercuts, and straight rights.

He also isn’t prone to trying to rush the finish. He’s very methodical and chooses when to go for the stoppage so he doesn’t end up gassing like Carwin or getting caught like Barry (yeah they’re HW’s, but they’re the two most dramatic cases I could think of in recent memory).

• Lord Faust says:

Whether he has monster power or not, Stann has a really good ability to tap people on the button. You don’t need a lot of brute force to KO someone with the right shot. The Sakara KO is a pretty good example, although Alessio’s chin has been questioned for a long time.

• MCM says:

Also rumored on this fight card……Bader vs Machida.