Johny Hendricks: “If I go out there and flop, people will be like, ‘It was a lucky punch.'”

UFC welterweight Johny Hendricks will enter the Octagon this weekend at UFC on FOX 3 with more on the line than a simple win or loss. The 28-year old Oklahoman takes on Josh Koscheck who is not only a highly-ranked competitor but a close acquaintance of a man Hendricks recently dropped in highlight-reel fashion, Jon Fitch. However, rather than break under the weight of maintaining his claim to title-contendership and living up to the expectations of knocking out Fitch, Hendricks has embraced the challenge and actually seems excited about facing it.

“If you can’t get the title shot, Josh Koscheck’s right there. Here’s the thing: Who’s fought (Georges St-Pierre)? Josh and Fitch have fought him at least once, and Josh fought him twice. So I can go out there and see where I stand against somebody like that,” said Hendricks in an interview on MMAJunkie Radio about his May 5 match-up.

Hendricks also acknowledged he’s especially motivated by building off his performance against Fitch to solidify his status as the real deal in the minds of any who currently doubt it.

“You’re only as good as your last fight, and this is fight is my most important one so far because if I go out there and do good, people are going to remember that. If I go out there and flop, people will be like, ‘It was a lucky punch.'”

Koscheck and Hendricks will serve as co-headliner on a card featuring lightweights Jim Miller-Nate Diaz in the main event as well as Pat Barry vs. Lavar Johnson and Alan Belcher vs. Rousimar Palhares.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• MCM says:

a little part of me died the night Hendricks KO’d Fitch. I’d like to be able to route against him in this next fight. I’d like to be able to say things like “Kos is gonna smash this fool.” I’d like to, but I can’t. Johny Hendricks just seems like one of the coolest guys in the sport today. So, here’s hoping he starches another AKA WW.

• Starforsaken says:

Not only I think he’ll get this one, but also hope he’ll win as well. Dude has been doing great, and has dinamite in the hands!

• Starforsaken says:

Ugh… dynamite. Wish I could edit that.

• I cant wait to see Kos flat on his back lookin up at the lights…..all Big Rig has to do is land one solid shot on his chin and its over

• Dufresne says:

Hey Johny, practice your uppercut. That’s how Paulo Thiago knocked him out and that’s how you can do it. Whenever Kos throws that sloppy haymaker of his he drops his face down and only remembers to cover his chin ~20% of the time. Time it right and count your bonus money.

something tells me kos plays it safe and rides to a ud win…i’m thinking they wrestle each other to death.

• AlphaOmega says:

Like he did with Daley and Rumble?

• Dufresne says:

The difference is that Hendricks has comparable wrestling credentials to Kos. Hendricks was a 4 time NCAA Division I All-American and 2 time champ. Kos was also a 4 time Division I All-American, but he was only the champ once. In comparison Johnson only has once championship at the junior college level and Daley can’t even spell “wrestling”.