Josh Barnett: “I don’t care how many licks you get in on me, I will get mine.”

Few heavyweights can say they’ve fought let alone beaten half the talent listed on Josh Barnett’s resume. The 34-year old has been fighting at a high level for nearly fifteen years, racking up wins over some of the sport’s best along the way including Randy Couture and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

While Barnett’s success is impressive to most it doesn’t surprise the 31-5 veteran who knew from an early age that a life based around some form of fighting was always his destiny.

“Even when I was a little child I fought kids that were older, that were bigger. I never quit. Even if someone got the best of me I didn’t stop and they ended up quitting. I don’t care how many licks you get in on me, I will get mine,” said Barnett in a recent interview with Showtime promoting his upcoming bout against Daniel Cormier. “That was just a mentality that most people didn’t possess, plus I have a mean streak that a lot of people didn’t have either.”

“I love what I do for a living and I don’t want to do anything else,” Barnett continued. “I meant to be a fighter. If MMA wasn’t around maybe I’d be a boxer, maybe I’d be in the military, but I was meant for combat.”

Barnett said his introduction to MMA came in high school when he saw UFC 2 and, after a few funny pit-stops, ended up fighting professional at the urging of a former coach. Barnett was hooked and the rest is history.

Check out the full interview below including footage of Barnett’s formative years:

PHOTO CREDIT – STRIKEFORCE

• hindsightufuk says:

i know its not cool to be a Josh Barnett fan but i like the guy, i like watching him fight.
    i hope he beats Daniel, gets into the UFC and finally has a good run, not letting himself or anyone else down along the way

• MCM says:

why is it not cool to be a Barnett fan?

• Lord Faust says:

I’ve been a fan of Barnett for a long time now. I was pretty young during his UFC run, but he put on some good fights in PRIDE.

• Lord Faust says:

Also, Josh was my pick back when this tournament was announced.

• Richard Stabone says:

Josh has always seemed like a turd. Just the way he comes across… his personality & persona. Not that that’s a huge issue; if a guy puts on entertaining fights it largely overshadows most other factors. But it does make it harder for me to root for him.

And then the dude has failed multiple tests. Now, I do believe the majority of professional fighters use (or have used) PEDs along the way. It’s just sorta part of the deal, and there will always be better & “cleaner” stuff right around the corner anyway, so I’ve just never been able to get too worked up the way the general public does with the PED hysteria. But at the same time… be a fucking professional. It’s one thing to bend the rules/gain an advantage/keep up with the rest of the culture/whatever else you want to call it, but to be so damn sloppy that you’re failing tests & earning suspensions, that’s the part that bothers me. That might sound dumb or hypocritical or whatever, but that’s my basic viewpoint in the context of MMA (and other pro sports).

So anyway, I’m a fan of Barnett in the sense that he’s a guy I want to tune in to watch fight (which is the most important thing) but I’m not a fan in the sense of rooting for him. That combined with the fact I hope Cormier didn’t get too late of a start & still has time to make a serious run in the UFC, and I’m really hoping Cormier takes this one. Tough fight to pick though.

I really want to see DC win the GP and make a splash in the HW division in UFC… After the interview I saw recently with DC and his hunger for greatness and wanting to accomplish his MMA goals after a failed olympic bid it just really made me a fan of him.

Still hoping to see the baby face asassin in the octagon as well, he just better not pull an Overeem

• Starforsaken says:

I’d like to see him get a crack at JDS eventually, only because I think JDS’ wrestling hasn’t been quite tested yet.

• Dufresne says:

Personally if I were the UFC and he does get signed to a contract I’d put him on a probationary type contract. He doesn’t get paid until his drug test comes back clean. If he fails the test, he gets his room and board payed for and a hearty pat on the back on his way out.

you have to take a drug test now in zuffa before they even sign you

• Lord Faust says:

Plus, given his record, I am sure Barnett is on every commission’s watch-list.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Oh how times have changed.