Jon Jones: “I really hope that Dan keeps it classy throughout this fight.”

After the overwhelming amount of hype leading up to Jon Jones’ successful title-defense against rival Rashad Evans at UFC 145 fans are likely ready for a break from “Bones” addressing matters unrelated to action in the Octagon. It turns out Jones is too.

The 24-year old champion recently reached out to his next opponent – Dan Henderson – in hopes of convincing him to avoid the smack and focus on the smackdown.

“I’m excited about Dan Henderson. He’s a great fighter,” began Jones on the 41-year old veteran in an interview with ESPN’s MMA Live before turning to the topic of trash-talk. “You know, I’ve gone through a lot with Rashad as far as all of the trash talking and I really hope Dan’s listening and I really hope that Dan keeps it classy throughout this fight. I respect him as an older man, I respect him as a warrior and I just hope he keeps it classy and (doesn’t) drag me through another trash-talking bout. Let’s stick to why we’re really here, let’s just fight.”

While “Hendo” may not necessarily be known for being a big talker he’s also comfortable speaking his mind and has already questioned Jones being a “genuine” person.

No date has been set for their fight.

Check out the full interview below:

• fanoftna33 says:

How is the UFC going to promote this if they do not trash talk Jon???????
    Really happy to see Dan get this shot at the belt, he has to know that realistically this is his last great shot at holding a UFC title, I dont see him wasting his time on trash talk.

• MCM says:

I really hope neither one does any trash talking. I wanna see if Jones really is a PPV draw or not. The UFC touts him as their next big PPV star cause this last show did 700k buys, but I think most of that was cause of the Rashad feud, media hype, and foolish internet posters, making the fight out to be more than it was. And Rashad always increases the buy rate. Of the other three PPV’s Jones has headlined only one broke the 500k buy rate and that was 135 when he fought Rampage, and that’s when Rampage still had a fan base.
    If they stack the Jones/Hendo card like they did 145, I don’t think they’ll see 400k PPV buys. I just don’t think skill alone is what people tune in for. Anderson Silva is the greatest MMA fighter alive and he couldn’t sell a PPV until Chael came along. I think the same thing with Jones, but the only way to find out is to let him carry the card and see what happens.

• Lord Faust says:

There is a lot more they can do to hype the fight without resorting to the tiresome trash-talking.

Hendo’s career is worthy of a dedicated DVD (probably 2 discs if they show full fights), so don’t tell me the UFC hype-machine can’t turn Dan’s accomplishments into a killer promo.

Dan is the first real legend that Jones will be facing. Machida, Shogun, even Rampage and Rashad, all of those are top tier guys but none of them are approaching the shoe-in Hall of Famer status that Dan already possesses.

Before we can even start the GOAT discussion, Jones needs to beat someone who’s already one the best of all time.

• Creature says:

No trash talk is needed to hype this one, all they gotta do is show Jones doing some of his crazy moves, some Rogan going OHHHHH! and then show the 1st 3 rounds of the Hendo/Shogun fight followed by the Bisping KO and the fight will sell itself lol.

I’m looking forward to Nicktheface’s promo for this one actually ;)

• Brendhan Conlan says:

What?!? Strange little red/green thumbs underneath the comments?!? :)

Well-Done. Thumb up 11 Thumb down 1

• Big Stank says:

I think we will see the takedown from Jones early and often, then some nasty GnP for a 2nd rd TKO

• MCM says:

REAL Thumbs UP Brendhan!

• Angry Mike says:

I think Hendo could be a bigger challenge for Jones than Rashad was. He’s not intimidated by bigger opponents, and I think Rashad was too cautious. Hendo knows he has to close in and grapple, and he’s willing to take the risk. I don’t think Rashad was, and it cost him the fight.

• king mah mah says:

Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t remember Henderson being a huge trash talker. Not sure why Jones would be so concerned about that.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Ha ha all the 5 oz faithful can pat each other on the back and censor opinions they dont like again. Awesome!
    Good luck with that.
    Fedor and M1 are bad.
    UFC is always right.
    Free speech IS DEAD.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

By the way Dan does as much trash talking as Dana White does talking fair and balanced analysis.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Hey awesome! I just found an Iranian MMA site where they dont censor you. They must value diverse opinions. Its a shame this site is going all “book burning” again. No question that this is a move to censor imo. Perhaps my pointing out that Fedor saying the difference between the UFC and M1 was that “they dont buy name fighters” was meaning M1 dont buy name fighters and it was painfully obvious that he didnt mean the UFC dont like Conlan said. Perhaps?
    Anyway Im sure this move will bring people flocking to this site like last time.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Ha ha I was allowed to thumbs down myself just to get the ball rolling.

• MMA-LOGIC says:

Just a heads up. MMA Collected is a site where all stories from a dozen major MMA sites (including this one) are shown on the one site. Im sure youre all fully aware but just letting you know.

• HOLY SHIT THIS SITE JUST RESTORED ITS EPICNESS!!!! Thumba up 5 oz! No trash talk needed…this fight lives up to the hype…Dan tires to finish every second till Jones gets clipped or subs him. end of story

• adamsfamily says:

I love the way that Hendo doesnt curse or swear. And his trash talking is limited to calling someone a douche, or that he’ll just beat ‘em up.

Words do not maketh the man. Hendo is a dying breed.

Should be a great fight, and I agree it wont do massive business, but its a great fight I want to see for all of the above reasons already stated.

• AlphaOmega says:

Wow massive Logic spam. Hendo didn’t really trash talk much with bisping, just said that he’d let his hand do the talking, so maybe it’ll be the same here.

• Lord Faust says:

Logic: people can read the comments no matter how many thumbs down you get. Censorship would be banning your ass for posting the same Fedor comments week-in and week-out. Just be glad this site is too smart to hire me as a moderator; I’d make a metaphorical coat out of your skin.

• Angry Mike says:

Brendan: The thumbs are great and I’m glad they’re back, but we need an icon for Logic and other excitable posters that means “take your medication”

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

I’m with AlphaOmega. If Hendo didn’t talk a bunch of trash for the Bisping fight when there was obvious animosity, I don’t see a lot trash coming from Hendo for this fight.

• Brendhan Conlan says:

What censoring are you talking about? Nobody here messes with comments.

• Big Stank says:

U can censor this all u want. Logic is a tool and gets off on being a doushe bag!