Anderson Silva says Chael Sonnen “talks alone”

UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva will not go to war with Chael Sonnen in terms of words. Instead, “The Spider” prefers to do his talking inside the Octagon with his statement coming on July 7 at UFC 148.

“Chael Sonnen talks alone,” said Silva, in an interview with TATAME. “I don’t like him. He disrespected my country, my family; so there’s nothing like it.”

While Silva was upset the bout had to be moved from Brazil to Las Vegas, he plans on taking out that frustration on Sonnen.

Silva said he is, “disappointed” that the fight won’t take place in Brazil, but added, “to me it doesn’t change much, I’m fighting anyway.”

Silva and Sonnen have met once before, with Silva scoring a fifth round submission after being bruised and battered by Sonnen through the four preceding frames. The two were set for an immediate rematch, but Sonnen ran into some outside-the-Octagon problems and had to earn his second shot at Silva after a year away from the sport.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• Mad_Hatter_XX says:

For all his physical talents, Anderson Silva has no charisma. Until he fought Sonnen was anyone really excited for his past title defenses?

It was rightly assumed Silva was far more talented and would easily beat his opponent. That was all true but, still no one really cared that much.

Sonnen, love him or hate him makes people take notice. Even if you hate his trash talking and want to see Silva beat him senseless you will buy PPV in hopes of seeing it.

Silva needs Sonnen to create interest, otherwise he would be beating up more outclassed boring fighters and still no one would care.

• Richard Stabone says:

Like you said, Silva has been so much better than the competition that it’s hard to get too excited from a hype standpoint.

And while the ongoing rambling from Chael has helped somewha from a hype standpoint, the real reason there’s a different level of intrigue is that Chael came so close to defeating Anderson in the first fight (even though it wouldn’t have actually counted as a victory).

IMO, it was a flukey combination of factors (Chael being juiced & Anderson being injured) that led to a much more competitive fight than expected. So the rematch is the chance to see whether it was a fluke or not, with all of Chael’s trash talk adding a little extra spice.

But in general I think the talk is overrated. Guys like GSP & Silva could be a little more creative/interesting with their overall persona, and I understand there’s a place for some of that with the marketing side of the sport, but it doesn’t make me appreciate them any less as fighters. The lesser fighters are the ones who need the other theatrics to try to elevate their status & exposure, cuz their fight game alone cannot do it. Anderson Silva is Jerry Rice, while Chael is Chad Johnson/Ochocinco.

Well-Done. Thumb up 14 Thumb down 0

• Creature says:

See im one of the people who still love Chaels trash talk, I dont think he honestly hates AS or Brazil he just realizes that being the bad guy sells PPVs and hes damn good at it. I also dont believe the first fight was a fluke and think the 2nd one will be somewhat more competitive but overall a repeat performance without the last minute sub.

Also i agree Hatter, the only fights i was getting excited for until Chael was the Hendo fight, Griffin fight, and potential super fight with GSP

• Lord Faust says:

I’ve decided to let Chael be the closest I get to indulging in pro-wrestling these days. I’m done being outraged with him, now I just watch a master troll cut promos. He’s got a good schtick; he’ll need it after Silva nukes him from orbit.

I’m just hoping this isn’t going to be another main event fight that has had a year plus build up and won’t come even close to satisfying the fans… Personally I didn’t even buy the Jones/Rashad PPV and I was not disapointed given the 5 round decision…from the reaction of mma fans & media I didn’t miss much in the main event.

Personally I see Silva coming out and destroying Sonnen BUT ya never know.

• AlphaOmega says:

Be kinda funny of Silva got the fasted KO in this fight, don’t think it’ll happen, but think it’d be funny. I do have to admit though Chael is growing on me, and Chael as an somewhat unbiased announcer after/before fights on that MMA show thing (sorry cant remember the name) is pretty good.

• JBAR says:

Funny would be if AS beat his ass for 4 rounds breaking his jaw in multiple locations only to be tapped out by Chael in the 5th but due to the busted jaw Chael could not talk for a week after the fight.

• fanoftna33 says:

Rece, while Jones vs Evans wasnt the best fight there was some great action on the card, McDonald crushing Torres and Rothwell vs Schuab were awesome fights.

• AlphaOmega says: