Nate Diaz, not Jim Miller, in line for a title-shot with win at UFC on FOX 3

UFC President Dana White has confirmed Saturday night’s main event between Nate Diaz and Jim Miller could very well provide a #1 contender in the lightweight division but only if Diaz wins. Since returning to lightweight from welterweight the 15-7 Diaz has defeated Takanori Gomi and the red-hot Donald Cerrone.

“Should Diaz win, Diaz is definitely getting a title shot,” said White in a recent conference call with media. “Should Miller win, Miller’s probably going to be a fight or two away.”

Miller (21-3) rebounded from an August 2011 loss to current UFC lightweight champ Benson Henderson by submitting Melvin Guillard earlier this year. He is 8-1 in his last nine fights with the lone setback coming to the dynamic title-holder.

Diaz-Miller will face off at UFC on FOX 3 alongside other featured fights like Alan Belcher-Rousimar Palhares and Johny Hendricks-Josh Koscheck.

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC

• hindsightufuk says:

fair enough, if Miller wins, which is very possible, likely even, he doesnt really deserve another shot at Benson so soon. Its not like the first fight was particularly close, great fight, but not close.
    But if Edgar beats Benson, then Miller/Edgar would make sense, and be hellafied entertaining.
    Diaz vs either will draw the crowds.
    lot of people writing off Miller because there is so much hype behind Nate and Nick these days. dont get me wrong i’m a huge Diaz brothers fan and will be rooting for Nate, but i think Jim might out work him. so pleased its 5 rounds though.

• Dufresne says:

Agreed.

I’m personally pulling for Diaz as well, but you can never count a fighter like Miller out. I think Diaz has the advantage on the feet and in the BJJ department, but Miller can take a shot and he isn’t exactly a slouch on the ground.

If it goes to decision I think Miller’s chances go up significantly simply because of their fighting styles. Diaz doesn’t mind fighting off of his back and could very well end up there for a large portion of this fight. And even if Diaz is attacking off of his back, most judges are retarded in the grappling department and automatically assume that whoever is on top is winning regardless of if all they’re really doing is surviving.

• fanoftna33 says:

Agreed with both of you. I am solidly behind Diaz here but think miller has a better than even shot at winning the decision. Miller is a smart, tough , and very talented fighter and knows what is on the line here I dont see him standing in front of Diaz and letting him get off with his boxing like Cerrone did, this will turn into a grappling contest early and ofter, Miller by decision.

• Angry Mike says:

I want to see Nate v. Henderson, so I guess that means I’m pulling for Diaz. If not for that, I’d root for Miller. If Miller can turn this into a close quarters grind against the cage and on the ground, I think he wins, probably by decision. If it’s a striking contest, though, Diaz has the advantage.

• hindsightufuk says:

correct me if i’m wrong but i dont think we’ve seen Miller just try and stall and hold on for a decision yet have we? in the UFC at least. he always seems offensive, and offensive fighters often get beaten up by Diaz boys.
    This is one fight i wont be betting on

There’s too many contenders at LW they really need to send some of them to SF and get them fights over there for that belt… or send them over and have a LW GP in Strike force.

• MCM says:

I wanna know why Diaz, who would be 3-2 in his last five, would get the title shot over Miller who would be 4-1 in his last five. I understand that no one (including me) is clamoring for a Bendo/Miller rematch, but at some point, rankings have to mean something.

And I’ve said it time and time again. The Diaz brothers can not handle top wrestlers. I think Miller takes this one to the mat and spends the next 15 minutes beating up Diaz on the ground.

• Richard Stabone says:

Pretty much agree with MCM on both points…

1) Diaz doesn’t have the track record to be in line for a title shot in the crowded LW division.

He’s hopped between weight classes, splitting his last 4 at WW and splitting his last 6 at LW. Or in other words, he’s posted a 5-5 record in his last 10 fights. Blah.

2) Diaz can’t beat high caliber wrestlers.

Not consistenly anyway. I think Miller will again demonstrate this, and then the Diaz title talk will be a moot point.

I really enjoy watching the Diaz brothers compete. They put on entertaining fights and I respect their no-nonsense approach in the cage. But both those dudes are pretty overrated. I completely get the stylistic appeal but it seems to outweigh their actual track record of results.

• fanoftna33 says:

Dont forget MCM, this is a 5 round fight.

• MCM says:

yeah, realized that after I wrote it. 25 minutes than.

• AlphaOmega says:

Thumbs down MCM for not getting it right, jeez…I kid I kid. I don’t really like either of the Diaz brothers, but Nate is growing on me because lately he’s seemed to be a lot more respectful after fights then his older brother. I still hope Miller wins, but if Diaz does win, and get a number one contendership, what happens if Frankie wins? Does Diaz get the next shot, or do we get edgar vs henderson 3 automatically?

• Big Stank says:

I hope Miller comes to fight and not just wrestle, I hope Nate gets the Sub late Rd 4 or 5. Should be a hell of a fight

• Everyone has already said it. The way to beat nate is to grind him and Miller CAN do that but its not his style and that’s why I’m firmly taking young Diaz.Miller gets tired of gettin beat up and takes nate down only to get caught in a sub during transition after a round of control. Should be great though both guys don’t know how to be boring.