Jon Jones: “I’m not worried about the H-Bomb.”

UFC light heavyweight Dan Henderson is known for a lot of things but none so much as “The H-Bomb”, his brutal overhand right known for leaving opponents like Michael Bisping and Wanderlei Silva gasping for air. However, Henderson’s next opponent – champion Jon Jones – isn’t necessarily concerned about getting blasted by the former Strikeforce/PRIDE title-holder’s best weapon.

“No, I’m not worried about the ‘H-Bomb,’” said Jones on this week’s edition of MMA Uncensored. “I fought Ryan Bader. He had an amazing overhand right. I think he won The Ultimate Fighter with that overhand right. Rashad Evans ended up knocking out Chuck Liddell with his overhand right. Mauricio ‘Shogun’ Rua had an awesome overhand right. I’m just not worried about it. It’s a single technique that I’m prepared for, extensively.”

“’Hendo’ actually has a good left hook, as well, so, I’m not worried about single strikes,” Jones concluded, understanding Henderson is dangerous for reasons beyond his trademark blow.

The 24-year old’s analytical approach to his adversaries comes from having seen some of his peers make the mistake of losing focus instead of appreciating all the possibilities at play. It was also likely influenced by eating a few stiff shots from Evans in their recent bout including one that “wobbled” him.

“You know, I have this thing where I don’t like to rush. I definitely don’t want to ever lose a fight by getting caught by a wild punch,” explained Jones. “There was a scenario where, Eddie Alvarez*, I think that’s who it was, where he like body shotted this one guy, then he ran up to him to try and finish the fight, and the last thing the guy hit him with, his last shot, and it ended up knocking out Eddie Alvarez. I think that’s who it was. That haunted me. I would never want something like that to happen to me. So, what I do is, I take my time and realize that I have 25 minutes to methodically pick someone apart.”

No date is set for Jones vs. Henderson though UFC President Dana White has come out to say the UFC is looking at September with a possible attachment to Labor Day Weekend.

* – Editor’s Note: Sounds like Scott Smith vs. Pete Sell, not an Alvarez fight

PHOTO CREDIT – UFC/STRIKEFORCE

• Lord Faust says:

I know Jones tries not to ruffle feathers, but…

Confusing Pete Sell / Scott Smith with an Alvarez fight… C’mon man. And saying “I’m not worried about Hendo’s big right because I fought Ryan Bader” is just…. I don’t even. I mean, was that supposed to be comedy?

• fanoftna33 says:

Neither was Bisping.

• Big Stank says:

I think he’s saying this because he doesn’t plan on standing with Dan at all. Probably Greg Jackson’s idea lol. Jones will smash Hendo with nasty GnP. Mark my words, Jones TKO Rd 2

• Dufresne says:

Jones is a smart guy, but I think after taking that shot from Lyoto and the head kick from Rashad he’s gotten a bit to confident with his chin. He can take a shot, there’s no real doubt there, but if he screws around and gets wobbled Hendo has incredible finishing ability. And with Jones’s unorthodox striking style he does leave himself open for a well timed counter, he’s gotten away with it so far because he can usually get out of reach pretty quickly but his last two opponents have found a way to touch him. Hendo is a cagey veteran with good timing, solid power in both fists, and great wrestling, if Jones gets cocky or sloppy in there he could find himself going home with his first legitimate loss. However, if he can make Hendo come after him and drag him into the later rounds I think Jones will have an advantage in the cardio department and will then be able to pick Hendo apart.

• BiG BaD BuLL says:

I am a huge proponent for Jones. With that being said, I think Henderson has the skill set/ style for the upset.Thick beard, heavy hands, knows how to get on the inside, Greco Roman wrestling, etc. Hendo won’t go for a shot that will be sprawled on. He’ll take a couple punches to get on the inside, and go for double underhooks. I don’t think he can finish Jones, but I can see where he could smother and out point him.

In closing, I’ll take Jones in the fourth.

• darth_irritable says:

Faust, at least he didn’t say Alvarez KO’d Coleman with a head kick.

I think what he’s trying to say is that you can train for one technique wonders to defend it. To which I reply, being well rounded is great. A one trick pony is always going to lose to a rounded fighter.

Ask Miesha Tate. Or Bisping. Maybe Tomasz Drwal.

Oh wait a minute…

• MMA-LOGIC says:

He said that he had fought other guys with big right hands before not that Baders right was as good. The H bomb has knocked out or finished about 3 fighters in the last 7 years. Bisping was constantly circling towards it. Henderson only finishes about 34% of his fights by TKO/KO. He then said Im not worried about a single blow but everything Hendo offers.

• Niv says:

Well I think too many here are reading more into his comments than he’s saying. 1st of all he has to be confident in his abilities, if not he’s done in this business.

2nd, what he’s saying is correct, he has to train for the fight and not one single aspect. I think he’s well aware of Hendo’s formidable power, but he has to also know that the way to beat Hendo is to play it smart and set up a submission.

Hendo is a very tough fighter with well rounded skills, but he’s shown that submission defense is his achilles heel, and that’s where I’m sure Jones is concentrating.

On the flip side I would never be surprised if I see anyone ougt cold after getting caught by an H-bomb. My money would still be on the safer bet with Jones submitting Hendo though.

• Niv says: